pc tower sitting sideways

Tags:
Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
February 17, 2005 7:15:34 PM

hey folks how are we? I noticed a curious thing at my library. The tech
guys installed new dell towers and they put them flat on the desk (ala
desktop). Now isn't this wrong? wouldn't there be heating issues, as
well as hard drive problems? The monitor is sitting on top too. I know
they're not my computers, I just can't watch idiocy(if it is) go by.
thanks!

More about : tower sitting sideways

Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 17, 2005 9:23:50 PM

Better than the floor (where they get choked up with dust and ruined).
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 17, 2005 10:45:11 PM

viraldhimar@gmail.com wrote:

> hey folks how are we? I noticed a curious thing at my library. The tech
> guys installed new dell towers and they put them flat on the desk (ala
> desktop). Now isn't this wrong? wouldn't there be heating issues,

In general there won't unless ventilation holes are blocked. With natural
convection it would make a difference, with fan cooling unless the fans are
so marginal that they need natural convection for assistance it won't.

> as
> well as hard drive problems?

What kind of "hard drive problems"? Modern disks are OK in any attitude.

> The monitor is sitting on top too.

So?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

<viraldhimar@gmail.com> wrote in message

> hey folks how are we? I noticed a curious thing at my library.
> The tech guys installed new dell towers and they put them
> flat on the desk (ala desktop). Now isn't this wrong?

Nope.

> wouldn't there be heating issues,

Shouldnt be as long as there arent any vents on the sides.

> as well as hard drive problems?

That hasnt been a problem for many years now and some
of the dell cases have mounted the drives on their side too.

> The monitor is sitting on top too.

Should be fine.

> I know they're not my computers,
> I just can't watch idiocy(if it is) go by.

It isnt.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 24, 2005 12:34:53 AM

<viraldhimar@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hey folks how are we? I noticed a curious thing at my library. The tech
> guys installed new dell towers and they put them flat on the desk (ala
> desktop). Now isn't this wrong? wouldn't there be heating issues, as
> well as hard drive problems? The monitor is sitting on top too. I know
> they're not my computers, I just can't watch idiocy(if it is) go by.
> thanks!

Many tower PCs, if you look close enough, have little bumps like feet on one
side. They are there so you can set the machine on its side just like a
desktop style PC. Most likely nothing bad will happen from laying them
sideways.

--Dan
!