Seagate hard drive warranty

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,misc.consumers (More info?)

I recently purchased a Seagate oem 300 GB ide drive from an ebay
vendor. He claimed in his ad that the drive had a five year
warranty. When I checked the Seagate web site, it said that the
warranty on the drive ends on 10-MAR-2006 which is only one year and
a few days.

I contacted the seller and he said:

"Currently Seagate is reworking its warranty for the drives it
manufactures. The warranty is retroactive on all its internal
drives but all the drives I currently have do not reflect the new
change in warranty status. I can either ship another drive that
seagate will warranty regardless of what the web site says or I can
refund your money."

Is this true? Does the drive I bought (Model: ST3300831A S/N:
3NF05G94) have a five year warranty? Thank you in advance for all