wipe hd clean

Hello to all. I'm sure this question had been asked a million times and I
am sorry to be repetitive, but the state of the art continually changes and
I want to be up to speed.
I am taking the HD out of my work-issue laptop and giving it to a
colleague. I would like to make sure it is CLEAN and wiped when I hand it
to him.
Any links, advice, suggestions, etc will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks to all in advance for any and all help and warm regards,
Morey G
38 answers Last reply
More about wipe clean

    On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:15:10 GMT, "Morey G."
    <moreyag@nospam.frontiernet.net> wrote:

    >Hello to all. I'm sure this question had been asked a million times and I
    >am sorry to be repetitive, but the state of the art continually changes and
    >I want to be up to speed.
    >I am taking the HD out of my work-issue laptop and giving it to a
    >colleague. I would like to make sure it is CLEAN and wiped when I hand it
    >to him.
    >Any links, advice, suggestions, etc will be greatly appreciated.
    >Thanks to all in advance for any and all help and warm regards,
    >Morey G

    Dban

    http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    http://www.heidi.ie/ERASER/

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=autoclave+bootable+floppy

    http://www.killdisk.com/

    good luck m8

    In article <42168bc7$0$8742$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>,
    zero <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >http://www.heidi.ie/ERASER/
    >
    >http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=autoclave+bootable+floppy
    >
    >http://www.killdisk.com/
    >
    >good luck m8
    >

    >"Morey G." <moreyag@nospam.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    >> Hello to all. I'm sure this question had been asked a million times and I
    >> am sorry to be repetitive, but the state of the art continually changes
    >and
    >> I want to be up to speed.
    >> I am taking the HD out of my work-issue laptop and giving it to a
    >> colleague. I would like to make sure it is CLEAN and wiped when I hand it
    >> to him.
    >> Any links, advice, suggestions, etc will be greatly appreciated.
    >> Thanks to all in advance for any and all help and warm regards,
    >> Morey G

    one pass with any format utility will put your data beyond the access
    of anyone put the most sophisticated spooks that choose to spend lots
    of time and money on your disk.

    --

    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Al Dykes wrote:
    > In article <42168bc7$0$8742$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>,
    > zero <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >http://www.heidi.ie/ERASER/
    > >

    >http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=autoclave+bootable+floppy
    > >
    > >http://www.killdisk.com/
    > >
    > >good luck m8
    > >

    > >"Morey G." <moreyag@nospam.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    > >> Hello to all. I'm sure this question had been asked a million
    times and I
    > >> am sorry to be repetitive, but the state of the art continually
    changes
    > >and
    > >> I want to be up to speed.
    > >> I am taking the HD out of my work-issue laptop and giving it to a
    > >> colleague. I would like to make sure it is CLEAN and wiped when I
    hand it
    > >> to him.
    > >> Any links, advice, suggestions, etc will be greatly appreciated.
    > >> Thanks to all in advance for any and all help and warm regards,
    > >> Morey G
    > >>

    > one pass with any format utility will put your data beyond the access
    > of anyone put the most sophisticated spooks that choose to spend lots
    > of time and money on your disk.
    >

    > --
    >
    > a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
    >
    > Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    One pass will NOT put your data beyond the access of anyone, Norton
    System works will unformat a harddrive that has been formatted so I
    would go back to previous responses

    Previously Al Dykes <adykes@panix.com> wrote:
    > In article <42168bc7$0$8742$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>,
    > zero <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>http://www.heidi.ie/ERASER/
    >>
    >>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=autoclave+bootable+floppy
    >>
    >>http://www.killdisk.com/
    >>
    >>good luck m8
    >>

    >>"Morey G." <moreyag@nospam.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    >>> Hello to all. I'm sure this question had been asked a million times and I
    >>> am sorry to be repetitive, but the state of the art continually changes
    >>and
    >>> I want to be up to speed.
    >>> I am taking the HD out of my work-issue laptop and giving it to a
    >>> colleague. I would like to make sure it is CLEAN and wiped when I hand it
    >>> to him.
    >>> Any links, advice, suggestions, etc will be greatly appreciated.
    >>> Thanks to all in advance for any and all help and warm regards,
    >>> Morey G
    >>>

    > one pass with any format utility will put your data beyond the access
    > of anyone put the most sophisticated spooks that choose to spend lots
    > of time and money on your disk.

    As long as that is not MS "format" ;-)==)

    Arno

    Previously JT <johnmthomson@gmail.com> wrote:
    [...]

    > One pass will NOT put your data beyond the access of anyone, Norton
    > System works will unformat a harddrive that has been formatted so I
    > would go back to previous responses

    Impossible. But note that MS "fomrat" does only do a format for
    floppies. For HDDs it is just filesystem-creation and not a
    formatting utility.

    Arno

    And all of the the above posts, ladies and gentlemen, are exactly why I
    posted.

    Thanks to you all, I really appreciate the guidance.
    Morey

    Rod Speed wrote:
    > "Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
    > > In article <42168bc7$0$8742$db0fefd9@news.zen.co.uk>,
    > > zero <zeroREMOVEnews2@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>http://www.heidi.ie/ERASER/
    > >>

    >>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=autoclave+bootable+floppy
    > >>
    > >>http://www.killdisk.com/
    > >>
    > >>good luck m8
    > >>

    > >>"Morey G." <moreyag@nospam.frontiernet.net> wrote in message
    > >>and
    >
    > > one pass with any format utility will put your data beyond the
    access
    > > of anyone put the most sophisticated spooks that choose to spend
    lots
    > > of time and money on your disk.
    >
    > Makes a lot more sense to use a free security wipe tho,
    > because its too easy to stuff up what format utility is used
    > and use one that can have the format recovered from.

    I used Heidi-Eraser and Killdisk to wipe a old Disk."Getdataback" could
    recover half of the Files,wiped with Heidi,but had no chance with
    killdisk.So,if you want to make sure,dont rely on "free stuff".Try at
    least a recovery Tool for being ABSOLUTLY SURE.

    "Sayso Takewashi" <sayso_takewashi@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > > Makes a lot more sense to use a free security wipe tho,
    > > because its too easy to stuff up what format utility is used
    > > and use one that can have the format recovered from.
    >

    > I used Heidi-Eraser and Killdisk to wipe a old Disk."Getdataback" could
    > recover half of the Files,wiped with Heidi,but had no chance with
    > killdisk.So,if you want to make sure,dont rely on "free stuff".Try at
    > least a recovery Tool for being ABSOLUTLY SURE.

    Heidi Eraser does not claim to wipe disks, it erases files and free space.

    Previously Sayso Takewashi <sayso_takewashi@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Rod Speed wrote:
    >> "Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
    [...]
    > I used Heidi-Eraser and Killdisk to wipe a old Disk."Getdataback" could
    > recover half of the Files,wiped with Heidi,but had no chance with
    > killdisk.So,if you want to make sure,dont rely on "free stuff".Try at
    > least a recovery Tool for being ABSOLUTLY SURE.

    Free stuff is o.k., as long as it has a professional quality level
    and you know what you are doing.

    Boot from a knoppix CD and do

    dd_rescue /dev/zero /dev/<your target drive tio be erased>

    There is nothing left to be recoverd afterwards.

    Arno

    http://www.data-recovery-hub.com/data-recovery-software-guide/wipers.php

    zero wrote:

    >http://www.heidi.ie/ERASER/
    >
    >http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=autoclave+bootable+floppy
    >
    >http://www.killdisk.com/

    Another good reason to always build a floppy into your machine, as I
    have always advocated.

    Previously chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    > zero wrote:

    >>http://www.heidi.ie/ERASER/
    >>
    >>http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=autoclave+bootable+floppy
    >>
    >>http://www.killdisk.com/

    > Another good reason to always build a floppy into your machine, as I
    > have always advocated.

    Indeed! And until booting from memory-stick works and works the same
    way everywhere, the floppy is important.

    Arno

    chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
    > zero wrote

    >> http://www.heidi.ie/ERASER/
    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=autoclave+bootable+floppy
    >> http://www.killdisk.com/

    > Another good reason to always build a floppy into your machine,

    Nope, anyone with a clue can do it from the CD or USB instead.

    > as I have always advocated.

    More fool you.

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 05:42:30 +1100, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Nope, anyone with a clue can do it from the CD or USB instead.

    Yea, and a burn a copy of (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) which has
    all the utilitites you will need for doing this kind of stuff and
    more.

    >More fool you.

    Why do you have such a pleasant disposition?

    Trinity <three@here.invalid> wrote in message
    > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
    >> chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote

    >>> Another good reason to always build a floppy into your machine,

    >> Nope, anyone with a clue can do it from the CD or USB instead.

    > Yea, and a burn a copy of (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) which
    > has all the utilitites you will need for doing this kind of stuff and more.

    Or BartPE if you want something a bit more modern, or knoppix too.

    >>> as I have always advocated.

    >> More fool you.

    > Why do you have such a pleasant disposition?

    Born with it most likely.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:36:08 +1100, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >Or BartPE if you want something a bit more modern, or knoppix too.

    I've got Knoppix but didn't know of this BartPE. Looks interesting.
    Thx.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

    >> Or BartPE if you want something a bit more modern, or knoppix too.

    > I've got Knoppix but didn't know of this BartPE. Looks interesting.

    Yeah, a bit easier than knoppix if you dont know anything about linux.

    Quite handy for setting up a system on the lan when you
    havent got the nic drivers for the system yet etc. Very
    easy to boot PE so you can move the drivers across the
    lan onto that machine and then install them in the OS etc.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Trinity" <three@here.invalid> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:36:08 +1100, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Or BartPE if you want something a bit more modern, or knoppix too.
    >
    > I've got Knoppix but didn't know of this BartPE. Looks interesting.

    The windows ultimate boot disk builds on that too, worth a look.
    http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:40:38 +1100, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >The windows ultimate boot disk builds on that too, worth a look.
    >http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm

    Thanks again.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Ron Speed wrote:

    >chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >>
    >> zero wrote
    >>>
    >>> http://www.heidi.ie/ERASER/
    >>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=autoclave+bootable+floppy
    >>> http://www.killdisk.com/
    >
    >> Another good reason to always build a floppy into your machine,
    >
    >Nope, anyone with a clue can do it from the CD or USB instead.

    I'd like to have seen you try to use a CD or USB stick to perform the
    BIOS update that I just got done doing on a Chaintech VNF4 board. It
    wanted the binary on a floppy. Not a bootable floppy, and not a CD,
    bootable or not.

    >> as I have always advocated.
    >
    >More fool you.

    The $7 cost is well worth the occasional convenience or emergency use,
    IMO.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:18:35 -0600, chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid>
    wrote:

    >I'd like to have seen you try to use a CD or USB stick to perform the
    >BIOS update that I just got done doing on a Chaintech VNF4 board. It
    >wanted the binary on a floppy. Not a bootable floppy, and not a CD,
    >bootable or not.

    Why though? Any mb I've owned you can flash the bios from a floppy or
    even with the binary file on your HDD. I've done it both ways. With my
    current Abit mb I've even flashed the bios remotely over the internet.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > >I'd like to have seen you try to use a CD or USB stick to perform the
    > >BIOS update that I just got done doing on a Chaintech VNF4 board. It
    > >wanted the binary on a floppy. Not a bootable floppy, and not a CD,
    > >bootable or not.
    >
    > Why though? Any mb I've owned you can flash the bios from a floppy or
    > even with the binary file on your HDD. I've done it both ways. With my
    > current Abit mb I've even flashed the bios remotely over the internet.

    The adaptec 2940* SCSI flasher insists on running from drive A. There must be
    others.

    The biggest problem (without floppy drive) is all those support floppys that
    are only distributed as EXEs. They insist on writing to A, and don't allow you
    to create image files that could burn to a bootable CD-RW.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    There is a simple way to do this. Restart your computer and have a
    reboot disk (floppy can be made from control panel usually for win 98).
    type A:, then type format C: it will ask if you are sure you want to
    format. click yes. It will take about 5-20 minutes the entire drive
    will be erased. This is free and easy. If you have any questions email
    me at danthesk8er1@gmail.com
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:jlcu111mh0sgqjue6noomli89oqdaekttv@4ax.com
    > Rod Speed wrote:
    > > chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    > > > zero wrote

    > > > Another good reason to always build a floppy into your machine,
    > >
    > > Nope, anyone with a clue can do it from the CD or USB instead.
    >
    > I'd like to have seen you try to use a CD or USB stick to perform the
    > BIOS update that I just got done doing on a Chaintech VNF4 board. It
    > wanted the binary on a floppy. Not a bootable floppy, and not a CD,
    > bootable or not.

    So it was checking for an A: or B: drive letter.
    Bootable CD can do that just fine.
    USB stick can probably be emulated as floppy as well.

    > > > as I have always advocated.
    > >
    > > More fool you.
    >
    > The $7 cost is well worth the occasional convenience or emergency use, IMO.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote
    >>> zero wrote

    >>> Another good reason to always build a floppy into your machine,

    >> Nope, anyone with a clue can do it from the CD or USB instead.

    > I'd like to have seen you try to use a CD or USB stick to perform the
    > BIOS update that I just got done doing on a Chaintech VNF4 board.

    Anyone with a clue can do it, even if you cant manage it.

    And even if that isnt possible with some weird flasher,
    only a fool would build a floppy drive into every single
    system, it only makes sense to use a temporary one
    in that particular system thats so badly designed when
    you dont flash bios very often at all.

    > It wanted the binary on a floppy. Not a
    > bootable floppy, and not a CD, bootable or not.

    Anyone with a clue can do it, even if you cant manage it.

    >>> as I have always advocated.

    >>More fool you.

    > The $7 cost is well worth the occasional
    > convenience or emergency use, IMO.

    Anyone with a clue just uses a single floppy drive
    thats plugged into a system temporarily instead
    when the number of situations where a floppy
    drive is the only viable approach is so rare now.
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Ron Speed wrote:

    >> The $7 cost is well worth the occasional
    >> convenience or emergency use, IMO.
    >
    >Anyone with a clue just uses a single floppy drive
    >thats plugged into a system temporarily instead
    >when the number of situations where a floppy
    >drive is the only viable approach is so rare now.

    It's nice to have, Ron.
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Dan the man wrote:

    > There is a simple way to do this. Restart your computer and have a
    > reboot disk (floppy can be made from control panel usually for win 98).
    > type A:, then type format C: it will ask if you are sure you want to
    > format. click yes. It will take about 5-20 minutes the entire drive
    > will be erased. This is free and easy. If you have any questions email
    > me at danthesk8er1@gmail.com

    OK, how about this one. What happens when the next guy puts a diskette in
    the drive that contains one of the numerous unformatting utilities and
    tells it to unformat C:?

    Formatting a disk does not remove the data. In fact these days it doesn't
    even make it particularly difficult to recover.

    There are utilities that will write the disk full of zeros or random data.
    Some of them are free. Most disk manufacturers have at least one such on
    their Web site. That will generally be adequate unless there is a
    possibility that someone with the resources of a first-world government
    will attempt to recover the data, in which case it is better to destroy the
    drive.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    > Rod Speed wrote:

    >>> The $7 cost is well worth the occasional
    >>> convenience or emergency use, IMO.

    >> Anyone with a clue just uses a single floppy drive
    >> thats plugged into a system temporarily instead
    >> when the number of situations where a floppy
    >> drive is the only viable approach is so rare now.

    > It's nice to have, Ron.

    Thanks for that completely superfluous
    proof that you've never ever had a clue.
  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Trinity" <three@here.invalid> wrote in message
    >>
    >> >I'd like to have seen you try to use a CD or USB stick to perform the
    >> >BIOS update that I just got done doing on a Chaintech VNF4 board. It
    >> >wanted the binary on a floppy. Not a bootable floppy, and not a CD,
    >> >bootable or not.
    >>
    >> Why though? Any mb I've owned you can flash the bios from a floppy or
    >> even with the binary file on your HDD. I've done it both ways. With my
    >> current Abit mb I've even flashed the bios remotely over the internet.
    >
    > The adaptec 2940* SCSI flasher insists on running from drive A. There must be
    > others.
    >
    > The biggest problem (without floppy drive) is all those support floppys that
    > are only distributed as EXEs. They insist on writing to A, and don't allow you
    > to create image files that could burn to a bootable CD-RW.

    Wrong. Its trivial to let them write to a floppy and burn that onto a CD-RW.

    So no need to have a floppy drive in every PC, just one to do that on.
  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Dan the man" <danthesk8er1@gmail.com> shared:
    >There is a simple way to do this. Restart your computer and have a
    >reboot disk (floppy can be made from control panel usually for win 98).
    >type A:, then type format C: it will ask if you are sure you want to
    >format. click yes. It will take about 5-20 minutes the entire drive
    >will be erased. This is free and easy. If you have any questions email
    >me at

    formatting disk does not wipe it.
  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Folkert Rienstra wrote:

    >"chrisv" <chrisv@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:jlcu111mh0sgqjue6noomli89oqdaekttv@4ax.com
    >> Rod Speed wrote:

    >> > Nope, anyone with a clue can do it from the CD or USB instead.
    >>
    >> I'd like to have seen you try to use a CD or USB stick to perform the
    >> BIOS update that I just got done doing on a Chaintech VNF4 board. It
    >> wanted the binary on a floppy. Not a bootable floppy, and not a CD,
    >> bootable or not.
    >
    >So it was checking for an A: or B: drive letter.
    >Bootable CD can do that just fine.
    >USB stick can probably be emulated as floppy as well.

    This flash utility was in the BIOS. How could I make the BIOS think
    that the CDROM drive was A:? No, I think in this instance, you needed
    a floppy drive, if only temporarily.
  34. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Trinity wrote:

    >On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:18:35 -0600, chrisv <chrisv@nospam.invalid>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I'd like to have seen you try to use a CD or USB stick to perform the
    >>BIOS update that I just got done doing on a Chaintech VNF4 board. It
    >>wanted the binary on a floppy. Not a bootable floppy, and not a CD,
    >>bootable or not.
    >
    >Why though? Any mb I've owned you can flash the bios from a floppy or
    >even with the binary file on your HDD. I've done it both ways. With my
    >current Abit mb I've even flashed the bios remotely over the internet.

    Well, considering that I didn't even have an OS installed, getting on
    the Internet would have been difficult. 8)
  35. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Previously Ann Onimus <Ann@onimus.net> wrote:
    > "Dan the man" <danthesk8er1@gmail.com> shared:
    >>There is a simple way to do this. Restart your computer and have a
    >>reboot disk (floppy can be made from control panel usually for win 98).
    >>type A:, then type format C: it will ask if you are sure you want to
    >>format. click yes. It will take about 5-20 minutes the entire drive
    >>will be erased. This is free and easy. If you have any questions email
    >>me at

    > formatting disk does not wipe it.

    That is one of the "crimes" of MS: They use the term "formatting"
    for filesystem creation and now everybody thinks that "format"
    does format a disk. It does not. It does filesystem creation
    and deletes only very little of the data present before.

    Formatting a disk does erase it completely. However the last
    disks that could actually be formatted were ESDI disks, AFAIK.

    Arno
  36. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

    > Formatting a disk does erase it completely. However the last
    > disks that could actually be formatted were ESDI disks, AFAIK.

    So all those SCSI drives that can Format Unit with variable sectors don't
    exist?
  37. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:38gl86F5kfjfdU1@individual.net
    > Previously Ann Onimus <Ann@onimus.net> wrote:
    > > "Dan the man" <danthesk8er1@gmail.com> shared:
    > > > There is a simple way to do this. Restart your computer and have a
    > > > reboot disk (floppy can be made from control panel usually for win 98).
    > > > type A:, then type format C: it will ask if you are sure you want to
    > > > format. click yes. It will take about 5-20 minutes the entire drive
    > > > will be erased. This is free and easy. If you have any questions email
    > > > me at
    >
    > > formatting disk does not wipe it.
    >
    > That is one of the "crimes" of MS: They use the term "formatting"
    > for filesystem creation and now everybody thinks that "format"
    > does format a disk.

    > It does not.

    Of course it does.

    > It does filesystem creation and deletes only very little of the data
    > present before.

    And why exactly shouldn't "format" do that.

    > Formatting a disk does erase it completely.

    Nope.

    > However the last disks that could actually be formatted were ESDI
    > disks, AFAIK.

    All disks can be file system "formatted".

    Low Level Formatting is a different matter and so is Servotrack Writing.
    The first can be done on several disks (that allow it) and the second is done
    in the factory only.

    Both however are types of "formatting", ie dividing the storage area into
    addressable and managable parts, units of storage.

    > Arno
  38. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cvvkrm18bo@enews4.newsguy.com
    > "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:38gl86F5kfjfdU1@individual.net...
    > >
    > > Formatting a disk does erase it completely. However the last
    > > disks that could actually be formatted were ESDI disks, AFAIK.
    > >
    > So all those SCSI drives that can Format Unit with variable sectors don't
    > exist?

    Not in Arnies world.
    In Arnies world low level formatting is something stuck in time, from when
    harddrives still had stepper motors.

    And not only in Arnies world.

    Low level formatting has always been and will always be the formatting
    of tracks, dividing them into sectors.

HD Storage