DVD Drive won't read dvds

Hi ,I m having problems playing DVDs on my DVD drive for a
few days.It won't read when i insert the DVD, all i hear is
clicking sound from the drive and that is it.

However it does play and burn cds,so i know there's nothing
wrong with the drive.

I ve cleaned up the drive with the cleanup cd.I ve
re-installed the VGA driver.Lowered the color
resolution,refreshed the Hertz rate.Removed any softwares
that use display codecs (messenger).

I went through help and support section (DVD troubleshooter)
Step by step and nothing.

I don't know what else to do.

Someone suggested something about dvd codecs but i m not
sure how i should handle this.

Really helpless...Please Help.
3 answers Last reply
More about drive read dvds

    Reinstall your decoding software - probably PowerDVD or WinDVD.
    www.coribright.com

    "Asif" <asif@indus9221.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi ,I m having problems playing DVDs on my DVD drive for a
    > few days.It won't read when i insert the DVD, all i hear is
    > clicking sound from the drive and that is it.
    >
    > However it does play and burn cds,so i know there's nothing
    > wrong with the drive.
    >
    > I ve cleaned up the drive with the cleanup cd.I ve
    > re-installed the VGA driver.Lowered the color
    > resolution,refreshed the Hertz rate.Removed any softwares
    > that use display codecs (messenger).
    >
    > I went through help and support section (DVD troubleshooter)
    > Step by step and nothing.
    >
    > I don't know what else to do.
    >
    > Someone suggested something about dvd codecs but i m not
    > sure how i should handle this.
    >
    > Really helpless...Please Help.

    I ve Re-installed WinDVD already.It does not help.

    Asif,

    It seems your drive has gone bad. Try obtaining the firmware from the
    manufacturer site and apply it. Otherwise if the drive is still in waranty
    send it back or get a new one. dvd drives are very cheap these days.

    CD reading and DVD reading is done using different lasers inside the drive
    so if it is able to read CDs it does not say anyhting about DVD laser which
    might have developed a fault.
    I have heard of peoples drive not able to read CDs but can read DVDs due to
    similar but opposite reason.
    --
    Rehan
    www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker

    "Asif" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I ve Re-installed WinDVD already.It does not help.

Video DVD Drives Windows XP