DVD Drive won't read dvds

August 24, 2004 10:39:03 AM

Hi ,I m having problems playing DVDs on my DVD drive for a
few days.It won't read when i insert the DVD, all i hear is
clicking sound from the drive and that is it.

However it does play and burn cds,so i know there's nothing
wrong with the drive.

I ve cleaned up the drive with the cleanup cd.I ve
re-installed the VGA driver.Lowered the color
resolution,refreshed the Hertz rate.Removed any softwares
that use display codecs (messenger).

I went through help and support section (DVD troubleshooter)
Step by step and nothing.

I don't know what else to do.

Someone suggested something about dvd codecs but i m not
sure how i should handle this.

Really helpless...Please Help.

More about : dvd drive read dvds

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 3:42:58 PM

Reinstall your decoding software - probably PowerDVD or WinDVD.
www.coribright.com

"Asif" <asif@indus9221.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi ,I m having problems playing DVDs on my DVD drive for a
> few days.It won't read when i insert the DVD, all i hear is
> clicking sound from the drive and that is it.
>
> However it does play and burn cds,so i know there's nothing
> wrong with the drive.
>
> I ve cleaned up the drive with the cleanup cd.I ve
> re-installed the VGA driver.Lowered the color
> resolution,refreshed the Hertz rate.Removed any softwares
> that use display codecs (messenger).
>
> I went through help and support section (DVD troubleshooter)
> Step by step and nothing.
>
> I don't know what else to do.
>
> Someone suggested something about dvd codecs but i m not
> sure how i should handle this.
>
> Really helpless...Please Help.

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 7:25:47 PM

I ve Re-installed WinDVD already.It does not help.

August 25, 2004 5:46:25 AM

Asif,

It seems your drive has gone bad. Try obtaining the firmware from the
manufacturer site and apply it. Otherwise if the drive is still in waranty
send it back or get a new one. dvd drives are very cheap these days.

CD reading and DVD reading is done using different lasers inside the drive
so if it is able to read CDs it does not say anyhting about DVD laser which
might have developed a fault.
I have heard of peoples drive not able to read CDs but can read DVDs due to
similar but opposite reason.
--
Rehan
www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker