a day of victory for pc games!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

the end of the steam infestation in the retail channel
is fantastic news for pc games!

spyware abusive against consumer rights technologies like
steam have no place in the healthy retail pc game market

vivendi listen to pc gamers and made the right decision
leave tyrant monopolistic greedy dictator valve alone
let valve die all alone and rotten in hell

long live pc games!
long live vivendi!
down to steam!
down to valve!

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=8010

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

dweeb

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> the end of the steam infestation in the retail channel
> is fantastic news for pc games!

And this is your last post, then? YEAH!

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> Only for the few that now want to buy Valve games
> and Valve lose a vital retail presence....

Depends
Look at the market for popular music
Stores is opening for buying and downloading music online
Alternative artist ditributes their own music online getting a chance
to reach their audience a chance which couldn't get before

On the professional software market it is quite common to buy and
download your software directly from creator
Legato, VMWare, TekLynx, Symnatec, SoftImage, Discreet and most of
these still have their retail distributors if needed

Imho distributing games online opens up for more specialized and
experimenting productions

rgds

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> the end of the steam infestation in the retail channel
> is fantastic news for pc games!
>
> spyware abusive against consumer rights technologies like
> steam have no place in the healthy retail pc game market
>
> vivendi listen to pc gamers and made the right decision
> leave tyrant monopolistic greedy dictator valve alone
> let valve die all alone and rotten in hell
>
> long live pc games!
> long live vivendi!
> down to steam!
> down to valve!
>
> http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=8010

What this means is that Valve is now the sole owner and distributor of
its own products. It means also (I think) that Valve may publish and
distribute its own products through all retail channels now. It means
Valve won. And that means WE win.

BTW- Vivendi Universal is the dictator. YOU, however, are a
propagandist. :)

Good day, and good bye.

McG.

General

"Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Only for the few that now want to buy Valve games
>> and Valve lose a vital retail presence....
>
> Depends
> Look at the market for popular music
> Stores is opening for buying and downloading music online
> Alternative artist ditributes their own music online getting a chance
> to reach their audience a chance which couldn't get before
>
> On the professional software market it is quite common to buy and
> download your software directly from creator
> Legato, VMWare, TekLynx, Symnatec, SoftImage, Discreet and most of
> these still have their retail distributors if needed
>
> Imho distributing games online opens up for more specialized and
> experimenting productions
>
> rgds

Hmm, I personally have never seen any of discreets products in any store.

"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> once tried to test me with:

> BTW- Vivendi Universal is the dictator. YOU, however, are a
> propagandist. :)

He reminds me of the Minister of Information of Iraq.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes

goddamn you are annoying

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> the end of the steam infestation in the retail channel
> is fantastic news for pc games!
>
> spyware abusive against consumer rights technologies like
> steam have no place in the healthy retail pc game market
>
> vivendi listen to pc gamers and made the right decision
> leave tyrant monopolistic greedy dictator valve alone
> let valve die all alone and rotten in hell
>
> long live pc games!
> long live vivendi!
> down to steam!
> down to valve!
>
> http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=8010
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam

Did you ever think, ever, that there are more important things to consider?

"... rotten in hell...." As if soldiers fighting in wars care about all
this nonsense. Maybe a little consideration of education instead of all
this?

Well, what I say is unimportant, since I'm commenting on something that is
doubly unimportant.

Alanb

"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> BTW- Vivendi Universal is the dictator. YOU, however, are a
>> propagandist. :)
>
> He reminds me of the Minister of Information of Iraq.

They go to school for that yaknow?

The Games will come.

Build it, and they will play it.

The PC....it is *our* Field Of Dreams.

McG.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> once tried to test me with:
>
>> BTW- Vivendi Universal is the dictator. YOU, however, are a
>> propagandist. :)
>
> He reminds me of the Minister of Information of Iraq.

Perhaps it is him. Hired by Valve to spread the word ;-)

In article <4273cc07.2233395@news.verizon.net>,
John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote:
> Without future retail distribution, Valve is sunk. And attempting to

I suspect that within ten years or less, "retail games" will be an
anchronism as ridiculous as "Beanie Babies". I bet you still buy plane
tickets by going to the airport, too.

Rick R.

On Sun, 1 May 2005 00:38:59 +0000 (UTC), rickr@is.rice.edu (Rick
Russell) wrote:

>In article <4273cc07.2233395@news.verizon.net>,
>John Lewis <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Without future retail distribution, Valve is sunk. And attempting to
>
>I suspect that within ten years or less, "retail games" will be an
>anchronism as ridiculous as "Beanie Babies". I bet you still buy plane
>tickets by going to the airport, too.

You are really confused. Plane tickets are in the category of
time-dependent transactions, just like Fandango movie tickets, Fedex
charges and MMO monthly fees.

The notion of buying, keeping and replaying a single-player game will
persist long after you are dead, whether it be for a console, a PC
Mark XX, a MacXXXX or whatever. In a related field, do you really
think that the era of downloaded music will kill the purchase of music
on a CD or DVD ? The CD killed the LP record, but solely because the
CD is a far more convenient and robust physical medium. Now maybe the
CD will be replaced by an even more convenient physical medium, or CD
music prices will fall due to competition from download but the need
for the purchaser to have a tangible container for his entertainment
will still be there. Also, what will replace the marketing impact of a
pretty wrapper for the casual purchaser ? How do you wrap up a
downloaded game and put it under the Christmas tree... oh, by the way
if you wish to play this game you will need to log-on, open a Steam
account, hope the authentication server is up when everybody else is
also trying to enjoy their downloaded gift and futz around for half a
day downloading irrelevant updates ............

John Lewis

john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) once tried to test me with:

> the need
> for the purchaser to have a tangible container for his entertainment
> will still be there.

Why?

In a world where everyone has an iPod, lets say, for example, why not just
have kiosks where you walk up and it puts in the songs you select, and
deducts it from your account. Instant gratification.

If you want to talk about getting gifts for people, it's very simple. You
buy the gift, it goes into the receiver's account, and the next time they
hit a kiosk or go online, they get it. And it can even print out some kind
of gift card you can use to physically give to them.

Surely you're not falling for SayNo's stupid "the box is the most important
thing" bullshit, are you?

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Knight37 wrote:

> Surely you're not falling for SayNo's stupid "the box is the most important
> thing" bullshit, are you?

Sorry, but the box is no bullshit. People need things like that to
orient themselves.

Andrew

On Sun, 01 May 2005 00:12:15 -0400, ToolPackinMama
<laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:

>Sorry, but the box is no bullshit. People need things like that to
>orient themselves.

LOL, too funny. All this e-commerce stuff will never catch on will it.

shawk

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"John Lewis" wrote

> Now maybe the
> CD will be replaced by an even more convenient physical medium, or CD
> music prices will fall due to competition from download but the need
> for the purchaser to have a tangible container for his entertainment
> will still be there.

I disagree John. People will get used to it. I know it's not gaming
software but to give a personal example of how attitudes change I've bought
McAfee online for years. At first it *was* wierd not having a CD and I just
had to order a backup CD (at additional cost). Now - I really like the
convenience of it. I dropped a new 160GB disk in the PC yesterday and put a
fresh install of XP Pro on there. Then I went to the McAfee site, signed
into my account and downloaded my AV and firewall - nice and easy. Then I
did the same with Mailwasher Pro and, of course, HL2. Much easier than
going through all the disks I have on the shelves. I now have a lot of
software with no physical medium - for me it has become normal - I buy a lot
of software online now.

> Also, what will replace the marketing impact of a
> pretty wrapper for the casual purchaser ?

Good question - be interesting to see how sales are affected when they lose
the casual/browser buyer who sees the game in a shop and buys on impulse.
They must be pretty confident though.

> How do you wrap up a
> downloaded game and put it under the Christmas tree...

Bought members of my family d-loaded software a number of times now. Last
one was a copy of Mailwasher Pro last month for a birthday gift. No-one has
complained yet

> oh, by the way
> if you wish to play this game you will need to log-on, open a Steam
> account, hope the authentication server is up when everybody else is
> also trying to enjoy their downloaded gift and futz around for half a
> day downloading irrelevant updates ............

Installed my retail HL2 and after 15mins of d-loading files to unlock it I
was playing. This was the day of release back in November. Never had a
problem since.

> "John Lewis" wrote
>
>> Now maybe the
>> CD will be replaced by an even more convenient physical medium, or CD
>> music prices will fall due to competition from download but the need
>> for the purchaser to have a tangible container for his entertainment
>> will still be there.
>
> I disagree John. People will get used to it. I know it's not gaming
> software but to give a personal example of how attitudes change I've
> bought McAfee online for years. At first it *was* wierd not having a
> CD and I just had to order a backup CD (at additional cost). Now - I
> really like the convenience of it. I dropped a new 160GB disk in the
> PC yesterday and put a fresh install of XP Pro on there. Then I went
> to the McAfee site, signed into my account and downloaded my AV and
> firewall - nice and easy. Then I did the same with Mailwasher Pro
> and, of course, HL2. Much easier than going through all the disks I
> have on the shelves. I now have a lot of software with no physical
> medium - for me it has become normal - I buy a lot of software online
> now.
>> Also, what will replace the marketing impact of a
>> pretty wrapper for the casual purchaser ?
>
> Good question - be interesting to see how sales are affected when
> they lose the casual/browser buyer who sees the game in a shop and
> buys on impulse. They must be pretty confident though.
>
>> How do you wrap up a
>> downloaded game and put it under the Christmas tree...
>
> Bought members of my family d-loaded software a number of times now.
> Last one was a copy of Mailwasher Pro last month for a birthday gift.
> No-one has complained yet
>
>> oh, by the way
>> if you wish to play this game you will need to log-on, open a Steam
>> account, hope the authentication server is up when everybody else is
>> also trying to enjoy their downloaded gift and futz around for half a
>> day downloading irrelevant updates ............
>
> Installed my retail HL2 and after 15mins of d-loading files to unlock
> it I was playing. This was the day of release back in November. Never
> had a problem since.

While "Internet2" isn't exactly in the sights yet for the general
consumer (which can outrun my system), when it IS available to the
consumer, look for huge differences in 'web pages'. A game like HL2 you
could stream live. So, advertisment, online shops will have a whole new
fully 3D appearance I think. The 'casual shopper' of games and
software in general simply has more coverage in the venue. Shops will
register your purchases online as you make them, same as at home
visiting the online shops.
And since both advertising industry and consumers are railing with such
a hue and cry over privacy/NO privacy; I think we can expect to see
dedicated advertisment channels with none actually ON web pages and NONE
allowed at all via email. People (even me) will still want to shop, so
we will *have* to go to the ad channels. And I say that would be fine,
as long as it doesn't follow me 'home' :)
Since last summer I've known for sure that we can watch a film at the
cinema 'live' as it's streamed over the internet2. Some of the
auditoriums have 35mm film projectors as you'd expect, and some have LCD
projectors. So this isn't so far away.

I think it's a laughable irony that the US lags seriously behind
practically every other nation in consumers with broadband connectivity
even now :) Or for that matter, connectivity period!
In this area, "Back to the Future" was a pretty good predictive example
of what this might look like.
Now we need some of that non-fossil fueled energy they predicted! And
cars that fly! :)

In the meantime, I seriously doubt that Valve is going to suffer greatly
at the momentary loss of the 'casual shopper'. I think Valve will
still put some kind of physical product on the shelves in shops, but
even if they don't, I don't look for them to fold at all. Steam can and
will be improved. It will be made even more convenient to use and the
*only* thing I've seen Steam looking at on my system is Steams own
stuff.
The only thing I can see "wrong" with Steam at the moment is that
absolutely everything you can purchase and use via Steam isn't able to
be used absolutely OFFLINE. Or, even with Steam running, to simply
choose and keep Offline. This *should* always be the consumers choice,
even to the end of whether or not to get updates for any or all items.
McG.

> And since both advertising industry and consumers are railing with such a
> hue and cry over privacy/NO privacy; I think we can expect to see
> dedicated advertisment channels with none actually ON web pages and NONE
> allowed at all via email. People (even me) will still want to shop, so we
> will *have* to go to the ad channels. And I say that would be fine, as
> long as it doesn't follow me 'home' :)

Advertising is hardly the biggest privacy concern. Having to give out
personal info such as credit card numbers and home addresses just to buy a
game is a bigger one. Every merchant database that info is stored in is
another additional data theft risk, why should I incur that unnecessary risk
when a game is something I can just buy in a retail store with cash?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

>> And since both advertising industry and consumers are railing with such a
>> hue and cry over privacy/NO privacy; I think we can expect to see
>> dedicated advertisment channels with none actually ON web pages and NONE
>> allowed at all via email. People (even me) will still want to shop, so
>> we will *have* to go to the ad channels. And I say that would be fine,
>> as long as it doesn't follow me 'home' :)
>
> Advertising is hardly the biggest privacy concern. Having to give out
> personal info such as credit card numbers and home addresses just to buy a
> game is a bigger one. Every merchant database that info is stored in is
> another additional data theft risk, why should I incur that unnecessary
> risk when a game is something I can just buy in a retail store with cash?

You may be unique, or you may be like myself...no credit card. But the vast
majority of people buying goods in stores do so with "plastic". So online
data theft may be a worry, but I would guess that data theft from using
credit cards in shops must be just as much a risk, if not more.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> "John Lewis" wrote
>
>> Now maybe the
>> CD will be replaced by an even more convenient physical medium, or CD
>> music prices will fall due to competition from download but the need
>> for the purchaser to have a tangible container for his entertainment
>> will still be there.
>
> I disagree John. People will get used to it. I know it's not gaming
> software but to give a personal example of how attitudes change I've
> bought McAfee online for years. At first it *was* wierd not having a CD
> and I just had to order a backup CD (at additional cost). Now - I really
> like the convenience of it. I dropped a new 160GB disk in the PC
> yesterday and put a fresh install of XP Pro on there. Then I went to the
> McAfee site, signed into my account and downloaded my AV and firewall -
> nice and easy. Then I did the same with Mailwasher Pro and, of course,
> HL2. Much easier than going through all the disks I have on the shelves.

That's the worst example you could have cited. Security software is the one
thing you want to have installed and configured *before* you hook up a PC to
the internet for the first time. I always make sure my personal firewall and
all OS patches are installed from CD's before I ever plug in the physical
cables.

In message <hOudnUB34sxXoenfRVn-gw@comcast.com>, Alan Bernardo
<frank@deford.com> writes

>"steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> x-no-archive: yes
>>
>> the end of the steam infestation in the retail channel
>> is fantastic news for pc games!
>>
>> spyware abusive against consumer rights technologies like
>> steam have no place in the healthy retail pc game market
>>
>> vivendi listen to pc gamers and made the right decision
>> leave tyrant monopolistic greedy dictator valve alone
>> let valve die all alone and rotten in hell
>>
>> long live pc games!
>> long live vivendi!
>> down to steam!
>> down to valve!
>>
>> http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=8010
>>
>> --
>> post made in a steam-free computer
>> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>>

>Did you ever think, ever, that there are more important things to consider?

He doesn't think, ever. I'm not sure if he even realises that Valve WON
this lawsuit.
--
John Secker

"SpammersDie" <xx@xx.xx> once tried to test me with:

>> like the convenience of it. I dropped a new 160GB disk in the PC
>> yesterday and put a fresh install of XP Pro on there. Then I went to
>> the McAfee site, signed into my account and downloaded my AV and
>> firewall - nice and easy. Then I did the same with Mailwasher Pro
>> and, of course, HL2. Much easier than going through all the disks I
>> have on the shelves.
>
> That's the worst example you could have cited. Security software is
> the one thing you want to have installed and configured *before* you
> hook up a PC to the internet for the first time. I always make sure my
> personal firewall and all OS patches are installed from CD's before I
> ever plug in the physical cables.

Agreed. It's scary but an XP SP1 system can get owned in under a minute.
SP2 *might* not be if you let it run the built-in firewall app until you
can install something better. Having a bootable CD with all your up-to-date
security software ready to install is pretty damn important.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

shawk

"SpammersDie" <xx@xx.xx> wrote in message

> "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> wrote in message
>>
>> "John Lewis" wrote
>>
>>> Now maybe the
>>> CD will be replaced by an even more convenient physical medium, or CD
>>> music prices will fall due to competition from download but the need
>>> for the purchaser to have a tangible container for his entertainment
>>> will still be there.
>>
>> I disagree John. People will get used to it. I know it's not gaming
>> software but to give a personal example of how attitudes change I've
>> bought McAfee online for years. At first it *was* wierd not having a CD
>> and I just had to order a backup CD (at additional cost). Now - I really
>> like the convenience of it. I dropped a new 160GB disk in the PC
>> yesterday and put a fresh install of XP Pro on there. Then I went to the
>> McAfee site, signed into my account and downloaded my AV and firewall -
>> nice and easy. Then I did the same with Mailwasher Pro and, of course,
>> HL2. Much easier than going through all the disks I have on the shelves.
>
> That's the worst example you could have cited. Security software is the
> one thing you want to have installed and configured *before* you hook up a
> PC to the internet for the first time. I always make sure my personal
> firewall and all OS patches are installed from CD's before I ever plug in
> the physical cables.

Probably because it wasn't the point of the post I didn't make it clear -
I'm connecting from behind a NAT firewall in the router. I also switch on
XP's firewall by habit every time I install a copy of XP (up until SP2 the
firewall was always off by default - never understood that). This is more
than sufficient until I d-load my preferred methods. I would not recommend
anyone connect to the net unprotected.

>> And since both advertising industry and consumers are railing with
>> such a hue and cry over privacy/NO privacy; I think we can expect
>> to see dedicated advertisment channels with none actually ON web
>> pages and NONE allowed at all via email. People (even me) will
>> still want to shop, so we will *have* to go to the ad channels. And
>> I say that would be fine, as long as it doesn't follow me 'home' :)
>
> Advertising is hardly the biggest privacy concern. Having to give out
> personal info such as credit card numbers and home addresses just to
> buy a game is a bigger one. Every merchant database that info is
> stored in is another additional data theft risk, why should I incur
> that unnecessary risk when a game is something I can just buy in a
> retail store with cash?

It's a good point.
McG.

steamKILLER wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> the end of the steam infestation in the retail channel
> is fantastic news for pc games!
>
> spyware abusive against consumer rights technologies like
> steam have no place in the healthy retail pc game market
>
> vivendi listen to pc gamers and made the right decision
> leave tyrant monopolistic greedy dictator valve alone
> let valve die all alone and rotten in hell
>
> long live pc games!
> long live vivendi!
> down to steam!
> down to valve!
>
> http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=8010
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam

I have been away from this board for about 2 months now, and now I come
back and you're *STILL* here (and not surprising with a different name).
My God! Haven't you got anything better to do with your life?