[HELP] Changing the raid controller without loosing data

Hello, I have got an Asus A7V333 raid motherboard with a stripe array
of 2x60Gb Maxtor discs on the integrated Promise controller.
I need to change this motherboard: is there a way to do the job without
having to recreate the array? I can not loose any data from the array...
If I should buy a new motherboard equipped with a promise controller,
will my discs be recognized as an array? Or I'll loose all my data?
Thank you very much for the attention and sorry for my bad English.
Greetings.
Carlo.

Chobin wrote:

> Hello, I have got an Asus A7V333 raid motherboard with a stripe array
> of 2x60Gb Maxtor discs on the integrated Promise controller.
> I need to change this motherboard: is there a way to do the job without
> having to recreate the array? I can not loose any data from the array...
> If I should buy a new motherboard equipped with a promise controller,
> will my discs be recognized as an array? Or I'll loose all my data?
> Thank you very much for the attention and sorry for my bad English.
> Greetings.
> Carlo.

Just to safeguard your data, why not make a copy of it to a single,
120GB drive?

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts

Previously Chobin <chobin@nospambresciaonline.it> wrote:
> Hello, I have got an Asus A7V333 raid motherboard with a stripe array
> of 2x60Gb Maxtor discs on the integrated Promise controller.
> I need to change this motherboard: is there a way to do the job without
> having to recreate the array? I can not loose any data from the array...
> If I should buy a new motherboard equipped with a promise controller,
> will my discs be recognized as an array? Or I'll loose all my data?
> Thank you very much for the attention and sorry for my bad English.
> Greetings.
> Carlo.

Are you telling us you have important data on RAID0 and do not have a
back up?

If so, first thing: Get a backup solution!!!!

Just like Odie said, this can then be used to move the data safely.
BTW, common wisdom among sysadmins has it that 3 independent backups
are the mimimum for a professional operation.

There might be ways to move the array without backup, but if the
data has any worth, don't try to do that without backup.

Arno

Thank you very much for the answers.
Bye.

"Chobin" <chobin@nospamBRESCIAONLINE.IT> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hello, I have got an Asus A7V333 raid motherboard with a stripe array
> of 2x60Gb Maxtor discs on the integrated Promise controller.
> I need to change this motherboard: is there a way to do the job without
> having to recreate the array? I can not loose any data from the array...
> If I should buy a new motherboard equipped with a promise controller,
> will my discs be recognized as an array? Or I'll loose all my data?
> Thank you very much for the attention and sorry for my bad English.
> Greetings.
> Carlo.

TRENDING THREADS