Ghost backup of Raid0 drives

Hello, All!

Anyone have experience using Ghost to backup 2 RAID0 disks? Can it be done?
Do you back up each individually, but in the same operation or does it take
two sequential backups to get it to work?

With best regards, ColBlip. E-mail: colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com

ColBlip wrote:
> Hello, All!
>
> Anyone have experience using Ghost to backup 2 RAID0 disks? Can it be
> done?
> Do you back up each individually, but in the same operation or does
> it take
> two sequential backups to get it to work?
>
> With best regards, ColBlip. E-mail:
> colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com

> News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the
> World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms -
> Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Norton Ghost 9.0? Yeah, no problem. It backs up the volume(s) as they are
presented in Windows.
As Norton Ghost 2003 is concerned. I have learned that this version of Ghost
does not officially support hardware raid

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

"Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> As Norton Ghost 2003 is concerned. I have learned that this version of
Ghost
> does not officially support hardware raid

While it may not support hardware raid *officially*, it does indeed work on
many. So far I have not run into an instance where hardware raid has not
worked. And before anybody asks, no I have not restored entire ghost images
back to the array but I have restored some of the data using Ghost explorer
on the image files. So far:

LSI megaraid SATA (raid 5)
PERC (raid 1)
Intel ICH5R (raid 1 and 0)

--Dan

Hello, dg!
You wrote on Mon, 21 Feb 2005 00:25:31 GMT:

Thanks folks for the feedback. Just to be clear (since I've yet to venture
into RAID0), when I run xp, the two raid drives appear as one via windows?
If so, then ghost9 acts exactly the same as if I had only one physical drive
(or a logical drive on a partition)?

Thanks.
ColBlip.
E-mail: colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com

d> "Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
d> news:421920e9$0$28988$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl...
??>> As Norton Ghost 2003 is concerned. I have learned that this version of
d> Ghost
??>> does not officially support hardware raid

d> While it may not support hardware raid *officially*, it does indeed work
d> on many. So far I have not run into an instance where hardware raid has
d> not worked. And before anybody asks, no I have not restored entire
d> ghost images back to the array but I have restored some of the data
d> using Ghost explorer on the image files. So far:

d> LSI megaraid SATA (raid 5)
d> PERC (raid 1)
d> Intel ICH5R (raid 1 and 0)

"ColBlip" <colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Hello, dg!
> You wrote on Mon, 21 Feb 2005 00:25:31 GMT:
>
> Thanks folks for the feedback. Just to be clear (since I've yet to venture
> into RAID0), when I run xp, the two raid drives appear as one via windows?
> If so, then ghost9 acts exactly the same as if I had only one physical
drive
> (or a logical drive on a partition)?
>
> Thanks.
> ColBlip.
> E-mail: colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com

As long as we are talking hardware raid, yes you are correct. The raid card
(or built in MB raid) presents the array as 1 drive, ghost acts as if you
are just using 1 big drive.

Now, if you meant that you use XP to stripe or mirror drives (from disk
management), then no, ghost will not perform as you expect it to.

--Dan

Plan will be to get a MB with hardware RAID capability.

d> "ColBlip" <colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com> wrote in message
d> news:4219e073$1_1@127.0.0.1...
??>> Hello, dg!
??>> You wrote on Mon, 21 Feb 2005 00:25:31 GMT:
??>>
??>> Thanks folks for the feedback. Just to be clear (since I've yet to
??>> venture into RAID0), when I run xp, the two raid drives appear as one
??>> via windows? If so, then ghost9 acts exactly the same as if I had only
??>> one physical
d> drive
??>> (or a logical drive on a partition)?
??>>
??>> Thanks.
??>> ColBlip.
??>> E-mail: colonel.blip@nospampleasebigfoot.com

d> As long as we are talking hardware raid, yes you are correct. The raid
d> card (or built in MB raid) presents the array as 1 drive, ghost acts as
d> if you are just using 1 big drive.

d> Now, if you meant that you use XP to stripe or mirror drives (from disk
d> management), then no, ghost will not perform as you expect it to.

d> --Dan