Josh

Does anyone know if you can deploy/clone a pc to another pc that has no
floppy and no OS using Ghost? And if so, how do you go about doing
that? From the instructions that I have found it appears that you have
to have one or the other. I am running Ghost Corporate Editon 7.5

On 22 Feb 2005 18:36:07 -0800, "Josh" <mrblonde@ameritech.net> wrote:

>Does anyone know if you can deploy/clone a pc to another pc that has no
>floppy and no OS using Ghost? And if so, how do you go about doing
>that? From the instructions that I have found it appears that you have
>to have one or the other. I am running Ghost Corporate Editon 7.5

You can clone direct to cdr. Takes up quite a few disks though.

"Josh" <mrblonde@ameritech.net> writes:

>Does anyone know if you can deploy/clone a pc to another pc that has no
>floppy and no OS using Ghost? And if so, how do you go about doing
>that? From the instructions that I have found it appears that you have
>to have one or the other. I am running Ghost Corporate Editon 7.5

Easiest way to handle this is to temporarily install a second hard disk
in the machine, then on another computer build a bootable CD with
DOS as the boot system and Ghost either in the emulated floppy or
as the data on the main CD tracks. Create a Ghost image of the system
on the main disk, writing it to the second hard disk...then move
that hard disk back to another system where the .GH? files can
be copied to a DVD or stack of CDs. The bootable CD can be used
to get Ghost running on the target system as well.

Or...you can do the swap in the other direction, temporarily moving the
drive you want to clone into a system that has a floppy. Over the
years I've used both techniques, for distributing images, for creating
backups, and for forensics.

Joe Morris

Josh <mrblonde@ameritech.net> wrote in message

> Does anyone know if you can deploy/clone a pc to
> another pc that has no floppy and no OS using Ghost?

Yes.

> And if so, how do you go about doing that?

Basically boot the CD and restore an image that way.

That can be the distribution CD or a CD written with an image file on it.

> From the instructions that I have found it
> appears that you have to have one or the other.

Nope.

> I am running Ghost Corporate Editon 7.5

The BartPE bootable CD has ghost 8 on it.

peter

> The BartPE bootable CD has ghost 8 on it.

No, it does not. You have to supply your own XP and Ghost 8.x to build one.

Peter <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in
message news:382b6jF5il8tvU1@individual.net...

>> The BartPE bootable CD has ghost 8 on it.

> No, it does not.

Yes it does.

> You have to supply your own XP and Ghost 8.x to build one.

No you dont.

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:54:41 +1100, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>> You have to supply your own XP and Ghost 8.x to build one.
>
>No you dont.

Is Ghost 8 abonware? I don't think so.

"Trinity" <three@here.invalid> wrote in message > You can clone direct to
cdr. Takes up quite a few disks though.

Or DVD. With DVD drives getting so common, and burners too, you can often
get away with a 1 DVD image for a standard HD image used for distribution.
You can get fancy and make a bootable DVD from a ghost floppy, and use
command line switches to make it pretty damn slick.

--Dan

> Or DVD. With DVD drives getting so common, and burners too, you can often
> get away with a 1 DVD image for a standard HD image used for distribution.
> You can get fancy and make a bootable DVD from a ghost floppy, and use
> command line switches to make it pretty damn slick.

I did a fresh install of XP, installed all my basic apps, made a bootable
DVD with Ghost 8.0 and it just fit on one DVD. 5 or 6 months from now when
my system starts getting sluggish, I'll restore the image and be back to
baseline without feeding cd's and answering dialog boxes for a couple of
hours.

In addition, I back up my system every Friday and then immediately restore
it just to make sure everything works the way it should. Nice piece of s/w
that I'm sure will yank my ass out of the fire one day.

peter

> In addition, I back up my system every Friday and then immediately restore
> it just to make sure everything works the way it should. Nice piece of s/w
> that I'm sure will yank my ass out of the fire one day.

How do you backup your system every Friday?

> How do you backup your system every Friday?

Image it.

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 14:54:41 +1100, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>> You have to supply your own XP and Ghost 8.x to build one.
>>
>>No you dont.

> Is Ghost 8 abonware?

Nope.

> I don't think so.

Take it up with Bart.

> Josh <mrblonde@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>
>> Does anyone know if you can deploy/clone a pc to
>> another pc that has no floppy and no OS using Ghost?
>
> Yes.
>
>> And if so, how do you go about doing that?
>
> Basically boot the CD and restore an image that way.
>
> That can be the distribution CD or a CD written with an image file on it.
>
>> From the instructions that I have found it
>> appears that you have to have one or the other.
>
> Nope.
>
>> I am running Ghost Corporate Editon 7.5
>
> The BartPE bootable CD has ghost 8 on it.

Whoops, sorry, its the Microscope bootable CD that has Ghost 8 on it.

"Chuck U. Farley" <chuckufarley@dyslexia.com> wrote in message
> I did a fresh install of XP, installed all my basic apps, made a bootable
> DVD with Ghost 8.0 and it just fit on one DVD. 5 or 6 months from now when
> my system starts getting sluggish, I'll restore the image and be back to
> baseline without feeding cd's and answering dialog boxes for a couple of
> hours.

I have done that before (made an image of my personal system, nice and
fresh). I usually find that when the time comes to rebuild, I am so far
beyond that basic image that I just rebuild again.

> In addition, I back up my system every Friday and then immediately restore
> it just to make sure everything works the way it should. Nice piece of s/w
> that I'm sure will yank my ass out of the fire one day.

EVERY time I rebuild somebodys PC, I make a ghost image of the drive first
and save it somewhere (usually 2 places). Then after rebuilding it I
extract the documents from the original image and save the image for a month
or so. That way if I get a call about something missing, I still have it.

--Dan

"dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Chuck U. Farley" <chuckufarley@dyslexia.com> wrote in message
>> I did a fresh install of XP, installed all my basic apps, made a bootable
>> DVD with Ghost 8.0 and it just fit on one DVD. 5 or 6 months from now when
>> my system starts getting sluggish, I'll restore the image and be back to
>> baseline without feeding cd's and answering dialog boxes for a couple of
>> hours.
>

> I have done that before (made an image of my personal system, nice and fresh).
> I usually find that when the time comes to rebuild, I am so far beyond that
> basic image that I just rebuild again.
>
>> In addition, I back up my system every Friday and then immediately restore
>> it just to make sure everything works the way it should. Nice piece of s/w
>> that I'm sure will yank my ass out of the fire one day.
>>

> EVERY time I rebuild somebodys PC, I make a ghost image of the drive first and
> save it somewhere (usually 2 places). Then after rebuilding it I extract the
> documents from the original image and save the image for a month or so. That
> way if I get a call about something missing, I still have it.

You'll likely find True Image worth having a play with then.

The main advantage over ghost 9 is that you can just boot
the TI CD and image the system over the lan. You cant do
that with ghost 9, you have to install that on the system you
are imaging first. And the big advantage of TI and ghost 9
is that you dont have to fart around with boot disks with
network support like you do with the earlier ghosts.

peter

> You'll likely find True Image worth having a play with then.
>
> The main advantage over ghost 9 is that you can just boot
> the TI CD and image the system over the lan. You cant do
> that with ghost 9, you have to install that on the system you
> are imaging first. And the big advantage of TI and ghost 9
> is that you dont have to fart around with boot disks with
> network support like you do with the earlier ghosts.

Actually WinPE (BartPe, UBCD4WIN) + Ghost32.exe works better in most
situations.

>> You'll likely find True Image worth having a play with then.
>>
>> The main advantage over ghost 9 is that you can just boot
>> the TI CD and image the system over the lan. You cant do
>> that with ghost 9, you have to install that on the system you
>> are imaging first. And the big advantage of TI and ghost 9
>> is that you dont have to fart around with boot disks with
>> network support like you do with the earlier ghosts.

> Actually WinPE (BartPe, UBCD4WIN) +
> Ghost32.exe works better in most situations.

Better in what sense ?

In his situation where he just wants to do a safety image of
the system before any changes are made to it, and to be
able to get individual files out of the image later, TI works fine.

Tho I do have one system the CD wont boot on, and BartPE etc boots fine.

peter

> > Actually WinPE (BartPe, UBCD4WIN) +
> > Ghost32.exe works better in most situations.
>
> Better in what sense ?

Better device support, better stability, better speed and smaller images.
That has been my experience.

On 22 Feb 2005 18:36:07 -0800, "Josh" <mrblonde@ameritech.net> wrote:

>Does anyone know if you can deploy/clone a pc to another pc that has no
>floppy and no OS using Ghost? And if so, how do you go about doing
>that? From the instructions that I have found it appears that you have
>to have one or the other. I am running Ghost Corporate Editon 7.5

If you have the corporate edition you should have the option for
Multicast deployments and backups this is not so easy to setup but
worthwhile if you have a large network

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message > You'll likely find True
Image worth having a play with then.

> The main advantage over ghost 9 is that you can just boot
> the TI CD and image the system over the lan. You cant do
> that with ghost 9, you have to install that on the system you
> are imaging first. And the big advantage of TI and ghost 9
> is that you dont have to fart around with boot disks with
> network support like you do with the earlier ghosts.

Thanks for the tip. I have played around with TI and I really like it, but
my employer is so far staying with ghost.

For now, my method is fine as every one of the computers I support (several
hundred, maybe 1000+) have Intel Pro100 nics so the network disk is pretty
universal.

I may try talking the guys here into trying TI. I was blown away with the
ability to do a backup image while running windows.

--Dan

"Andy Lee" <andy.lee@siemens.com> wrote in message
> On 22 Feb 2005 18:36:07 -0800, "Josh" <mrblonde@ameritech.net> wrote:
> If you have the corporate edition you should have the option for
> Multicast deployments and backups this is not so easy to setup but
> worthwhile if you have a large network

It really can't be stressed enough how important multicasting is. I
remember before multicasting, starting 60+ computers imaging and pretty much
just walking away for the night-as the server bogged down with the
incredible load. Now with multicasting, 6 or 7 minutes is all it takes to
image those same workstations.

> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

>> You'll likely find True Image worth having a play with then.

>> The main advantage over ghost 9 is that you can just boot
>> the TI CD and image the system over the lan. You cant do
>> that with ghost 9, you have to install that on the system you
>> are imaging first. And the big advantage of TI and ghost 9
>> is that you dont have to fart around with boot disks with
>> network support like you do with the earlier ghosts.

> Thanks for the tip. I have played around with TI and I really like it, but my
> employer is so far staying with ghost.

Yeah, operations that size tend to be rather conservative.

> For now, my method is fine as every one of the computers I support (several
> hundred, maybe 1000+) have Intel Pro100 nics so the network disk is pretty
> universal.

Yeah, the older dos based ghosts are pretty
usable if the nics are in the installed list.

And you can always use a universal boot CD
with the dos based ghost on it for the others too.

> I may try talking the guys here into trying TI. I was blown away with the
> ability to do a backup image while running windows.

Ghost 9 can do that now too, and incremental backups as well.