ghost hangs after trying to load exe

We are using Ghost ver 7.5 or something like that. this has worked
fine a hundred times in the past. I create a network boot disk with
the ghost wizard. i boot the computer with it. once i get to the A
prompt I type ghost.exe and it loads the ghost program. Works everytime
fine.

Today I am trying to ghost a new computer. so i created a new boot disk
with these broadcom netxtreme drivers. It boots fine and maps a network
drive fine.

However, when i put the ghost program floppy in and type ghost.exe at
the a prompt, the cursor just goes down the next blank line. it blinks
and just hangs there. the ghost program doesn't load. it just hangs on
that screen, ad infinitum.

is this a PC Dos memory problem?? if so how to i resolve it?
15 answers Last reply
More about ghost hangs load

    Dear Joep.

    Please get professional help for your psychological issues.

    Love,
    Zan

    gee don't you think if i would have known to try those things, i would
    have. that's what i'm posting on here for.

    i created a boot disk with ms dos this time rather than pc dos. it
    boots to network fine and maps network drive. i launch ghost.exe and it
    still hangs. same problem.

    I found an older version of the ghost.exe from 1999. When I launch that
    one the program actually loads. However, when i try to create the
    image it errors saying, NTFS Error: Error reading FILE_VOLUME MFT
    record. I just can't win. Any idea why i'm getting this error?

    The ghost exe that was hanging is from 2001. When I check the
    properties on it, it was created on Dec 1, 2001.

    > What happens if you boot using the Ultimate Boot CD,
    > and selecting Bart's Network Boot on that, and then
    > run ghost from a floppy after that has booted ?

    I booted from Ultimate Boot CD got to my network, mapped a drive, and
    then ran the ghost.exe from the network. It hangs too. Just like the
    other way.

    > And you still need to work out exactly which ghost version you are
    > using to get much useful in the way of comments if its a subtle
    problem.

    When I launch any of the ghost programs on the server that I installed
    it (symantec ghost console, ghost explorer, ghostcast server) and click
    on help> about, they all list Program Version 7.5.0.335.

    Thanks for your help!

    Thanks Dan. what is an onboard SATA? Where do i disable it? In the
    BIOS??

    ok i think i figured it out. is it the serial ATA? If so i don't think
    i can disable it since it's connecting my HDD. yes this is a brand new
    computer, DELL.

    <zansheva@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > is this a PC Dos memory problem?? if so how to i resolve it?

    Ah an MCSE in distress ...

    c'mon, do some basic trouble shooting yourself first so you can tell us
    what's been tried sofar ...

    - if you're using Caldera DOS try different DOS version
    - does Ghost load with a clean boot diskette (so without network)?
    - how much free mem after loading NIC drivers etc.
    - that kind of stuff ...

    Then of course you check the Symantec KB to see if this is some kind of
    known problem.

    > We are using Ghost ver 7.5 or something like that.

    Ah, or something like that ... I can see you're very keen on getting this
    fixed.

    --
    Joep

    > When I launch any of the ghost programs on the server that I installed
    > it (symantec ghost console, ghost explorer, ghostcast server) and click
    > on help> about, they all list Program Version 7.5.0.335.
    >
    > Thanks for your help!

    Workaround
    Depending upon the mix of SATA and IDE drives installed to your system, one
    of the following switches should resolve the problem:
    a.. If you have an IDE and an SATA drive, or only IDE drives:
    -FNI Forces Ghost to use the BIOS to gain access to the IDE drive.
    b.. If you have an SATA drive and no IDE drives:
    -NOIDE Disables access to IDE devices.

    > i created a boot disk with ms dos this time rather than pc dos. it
    > boots to network fine and maps network drive. i launch ghost.exe and it
    > still hangs. same problem.

    New PC you say? Does it have onboard SATA? I have had to either disable
    SATA (if its unused) or adjust the settings to "legacy mode" for ghost 7.5
    to work.

    Really, you should try to put more effort into your post like spending the 1
    minute it takes to find out EXACTLY which version you are running.

    --Dan

    > ok i think i figured it out. is it the serial ATA? If so i don't think
    > i can disable it since it's connecting my HDD. yes this is a brand new
    > computer, DELL.

    Does the BIOS contain any SATA options like "legacy mode" or something like
    that? If so, try it. If I am not mistaken, I have used ghost 7.5 on SATA
    drives using this option on an Intel motherboard.

    --Dan

    > Dear Joep.

    > Please get professional help for your psychological issues.

    No need. He's right, you should do those basics checks yourself first.

    <zansheva@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > gee don't you think if i would have known to try those
    > things, i would have. that's what i'm posting on here for.

    That was a comment on your silly stuff about him needing psych help.

    You should just do what he suggested you do on the basics instead.

    > i created a boot disk with ms dos this time rather than pc dos.
    > it boots to network fine and maps network drive. i launch
    > ghost.exe and it still hangs. same problem.

    So what happens if you use a standard bootable floppy
    instead with no network with ghost on it ? Does that hang too ?
    Likely it will and its something ghost doesnt like about the new PC.
    That test eliminates some oddity with the different NIC drivers etc.

    What happens if you boot using the Ultimate Boot CD,
    and selecting Bart's Network Boot on that, and then
    run ghost from a floppy after that has booted ?

    And you still need to work out exactly which ghost version you are
    using to get much useful in the way of comments if its a subtle problem.

    A ghost as old as 7.5 may be having a problem
    with something more recent like SATA on a new PC.

    >I found an older version of the ghost.exe from 1999. When I launch that
    > one the program actually loads. However, when i try to create the
    > image it errors saying, NTFS Error: Error reading FILE_VOLUME MFT
    > record. I just can't win. Any idea why i'm getting this error?
    >
    > The ghost exe that was hanging is from 2001. When I check the
    > properties on it, it was created on Dec 1, 2001.
    >

    >> What happens if you boot using the Ultimate Boot CD,
    >> and selecting Bart's Network Boot on that, and then
    >> run ghost from a floppy after that has booted ?
    >
    > I booted from Ultimate Boot CD got to my network, mapped a drive, and
    > then ran the ghost.exe from the network. It hangs too. Just like the
    > other way.
    >
    >> And you still need to work out exactly which ghost version you are
    >> using to get much useful in the way of comments if its a subtle
    > problem.
    >
    > When I launch any of the ghost programs on the server that I installed
    > it (symantec ghost console, ghost explorer, ghostcast server) and click
    > on help> about, they all list Program Version 7.5.0.335.
    >
    > Thanks for your help!

    Likely its just to old to be able to handle SATA.

    Try ghost 9 if you can.

    <zansheva@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > gee don't you think if i would have known to try those things, i would
    > have.

    What we think is irrelevant, you better do some thinking of your own first.
    Some facts about what has been tried are.

    > i created a boot disk with ms dos this time rather than pc dos. it
    > boots to network fine and maps network drive. i launch ghost.exe and it
    > still hangs. same problem.

    Yes, however at that point you didn't exclude the NIC drivers etc.. whole
    point of troubleshooting is eliminating points of failiure.

    > Please get professional help for your psychological issues.

    Wow, snappy dude! Or also one of your areas of 'expertise'?

    --
    Joep
  14. I had a similar issue trying to launch the ghost.exe (7.5) after using a network boot disk. It appears the problem was that this Dell was slightly newer and supported SATA even though I was still using IDE. I changed the ghost launch at command prompt from: "ghost.exe -split=2000 -auto" to: "ghost.exe -FNI -split=2000 -auto"

    I had a very similar problem with a machine using an Intel D915GAG motherboard. I don't know if the problem was related to the motherboard, per se, but this was one of the few machines that I've had a problem getting to boot properly with either a standard "universal" Ghost boot CD or even a custom boot CD with the specific NDIS2 driver.

    Anyway, my "problem computer" had a WD SATA HDD and a SATA DVD-RW. The universal CD appeared to be working properly... the system would boot just fine, etc. When Ghost started to load, it would freeze up.

    The fix was creating a new Ghost Boot CD (using the Universal driver) and simply adding -NOIDE as a parameter when booting Ghost. Or, of course, if you're booting the machine manually and then running Ghost from a command prompt, type: "ghost.exe -NOIDE"

    That's all... I hope this helps someone!!

    Mike

    BTW, I'm using Ghost v11 (Symantec Ghost Solution Suite 2)

Boot Storage