Computer Resets every time I load a game

Arcnite

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
Every time I try to play a game my computer will reset. I've noticed it also resets when I run a full scan using Norton anti-virus 2004. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Mobo: Epox 8K7A+
CPU: AMD Athlon XP2200+
HD: WD 80GB
HD: WD 180GB SE
RAM: 2x512MB DDR 2100

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Could be a heat/voltage problem.

I have an 8k7a+ as well. You can download a <A HREF="http://web.epox.com/html/Support.asp" target="_new">motherboard monitor</A> from Epox's website. My suggestion would be to run it, then start your anti-virus program and watch CPU temp and core voltages. If any one of these spike (or drop, for the voltages), that's probably your problem.

Next thing to try - test out your RAM. Download <A HREF="http://www.memtest86.com/" target="_new">memtest86</A> and run it. It will tell you if your RAM is having problems.

If your voltages/temperature aren't out of the ordinary, it's probably a software/OS conflict. If it is an option, a format and clean install would probably fix it. Otherwise - an XP system restore from before the problem started might work, or a "repair installation" under win XP.

Hopefully this gives you an idea where to start!

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
Some things to try:

Spontanious restarting is usually a power supply problem, so like above check your voltages.

In XP, the default setting is to restart anytime the computer blue screens. Right-click on my computer->properties->advanced->"startup and recovery" setting button->uncheck "automatically restart"

Then go play a game and see if you get a blue screen instead of a restart. If you do, it should tell you what file caused the problem so we can determine if it is video related or something.

Also, I would try it with only 1 stick of Ram. maybe one is bad, or they both may be good and just don't want to work together.

Lumathix

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
Had that problem before, turned out to be a bad stick of ram.

<font color=blue> "Speech is silver. Silence is Golden." - Anonymous German Proverb </font color=blue>

Arcnite

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
I used the motherboard monitor and set it to refresh every second. I started up Unreal Tournament 2004 and went to refresh the server list and sure enough, restart. There was no spike or drop in the voltages. I also ran the memtest86 and found that one of my sticks of RAM had 1 bad sector in it. I've taken it out, but still having the same problem. As a second question, do you think I should leave that stick of RAM out or go ahead and leave it in? Only had that one bad sector.

Arcnite

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
Well, i checked the volages, they didn't surge or drop before the reset. I also turned off "automaticall restart" ... still restarting. I also ran a RAM check and found that one of the sticks had a bad sector so I took it out... still restarting.

Arcnite

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
If it helps, this problem was progressive. It started about a week or so ago where it would restart every once in a while in the middle of play and developed to now where it restarts as soon as I try to load it up.

Arcnite

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
Not yet on the video card. But, as for an update: I ran burn-in tests for CPU Arithmetic Benchmarks, CPU Multi-Media Benchmarks, Membory Bandwidth Benchmark, and Cache & Memory Benchmarks. They all came up clear and computer never reset during this.

The computer has reset when I:

Tried to get a server list from UT2004
Shortly after beginning a system scan with Norton 2004
After loading a game called Horizons (went through splash screens and restarted just after UI came up)

I've tested:
My RAM. 1 stick had a single bad sector, took it out.

I've monitored:
My Vcore voltage, no spike or dip before restart
My Vio voltage, no spike or dip before restart
My +5 voltage, no spike or dip before restart
My +12 voltage, no spike or dip before restart.

As a second note: My power supply is only 3 months old. It is a Aerocool Aero-420P4 // Aeropower II

Thanks for all your help everyone, hopefully we'll figure this out. <tries not to pull out all his hair>

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Is it a older type game.

WinXP is notorious for crashing when playing older games.
(If so try the compatability wizard)

If not, close all uneccessary background programs (especially Norton) that are running - CTRL/Alt/Del.

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>

guyver2077

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2004
hey guys first off im new here and im having a similar problem. my system is as follows:

AMD ATHLON 2600+
MSI MAINBOARD KM4M-L
WD 120GB HD
1 512 2700 RAM STICK
1 256 2700 RAM STICK
nVIDIA GEFORCE FX 5900 SE

sometimes when i play certain games it will just restart or reboot or give me an error. It has done it to me when playing nba live 2004 and lord of the rings return of the king. i ran memtest overnigth and no problems there. what could the problem be? another thing it has done this even with the onboard video. it doesnt do it as much with the geforce but still happens once in a while. also sometimes the game will freeze for like 5-10 secs and then continue. i have all the latest drivers

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by guyver2077 on 03/13/04 08:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>