Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading My Desktop

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 8
November 11, 2012 9:00:44 PM

I built a pc a few months ago and I now going from an MATX to ATX motherboard with SLI and two more stick of ram. So I have a bigger board an extra two sticks of ram and extra video card coming soon. All I want to know if I install windows 8 on this will I have to buy a new windows disc. I already installed it but Im putting new parts in by December and Im hoping my microsoft can except code. I heard the key is copied to the bios because of pirating.

More about : upgrading desktop

a b * Windows 8
November 11, 2012 11:38:17 PM

Build it, try it. If it does not work, call Microsoft and tell them you had to replace your motherboard and they should give you a new key.

I think windows 7 had a way for a OEM to put a BIOS passkey in. Windows itslelf did not. Problem ways pirates grabbed the key and put it in machine BIOS to get out of getting a license. I think Window 8 changed that method of validation for OEMS to require unique keys. I don't know if a upgrade would actually write a key to the BIOS on a general machine. Too many problems, upgrade your BIOS and you no longer have a windows 8 license? That would be bad. I would think a OEM would burn a ROM location with a key so it would not get wiped out later and would stay with the machine
m
l

Best solution

November 11, 2012 11:42:49 PM

If its an OEM key, then yes you will need to buy a new copy as the key does bind itself to the motherboard. If its the full retail edition, you can install to as many machines as you like (I think).
November 12, 2012 2:23:57 AM

Best answer selected by 3R1CH4N53N.
m
l
!