wireless network & sp2

I have been running Windows XP SP1 fine for a long while on my home wireless
network. Now I have installed SP2 I can not get internet connections to work.
I have tried re running the home netorking wizard on all pc and disabling
the new firewall on the internal network cards. Any ideas?
5 answers Last reply
More about wireless network

    I have a similar problem. I was setup with a 40 (64 bits) WEP key before SP2
    was
    installed. After installing SP2, no more wireless access! When I disabled
    WEP
    on my router the connections worked again. When I changed from the
    40(64-bit) key to 104(128-bit) key everything worked again.
    I have heard that using a 104 (128-bit) key slows things down so I would
    like to
    get back to the 40 (64-bit) key when we really find out what is going on.
    Hope this helps.
    BobLaz

    "Rob Pinnington" wrote:

    > I have been running Windows XP SP1 fine for a long while on my home wireless
    > network. Now I have installed SP2 I can not get internet connections to work.
    > I have tried re running the home netorking wizard on all pc and disabling
    > the new firewall on the internal network cards. Any ideas?

    i had the same problem too. direct pc connection worked but not wireless. i
    also had sygate personal firewall which was NOT active(disconnected it when i
    found out about microsofts firewall available prior to sp2). i uninstalled
    sygate firewall and then was connected wirelessly to the net first go. hope
    this gives you a few clues.

    "BobLaz" wrote:

    > I have a similar problem. I was setup with a 40 (64 bits) WEP key before SP2
    > was
    > installed. After installing SP2, no more wireless access! When I disabled
    > WEP
    > on my router the connections worked again. When I changed from the
    > 40(64-bit) key to 104(128-bit) key everything worked again.
    > I have heard that using a 104 (128-bit) key slows things down so I would
    > like to
    > get back to the 40 (64-bit) key when we really find out what is going on.
    > Hope this helps.
    > BobLaz
    >
    > "Rob Pinnington" wrote:
    >
    > > I have been running Windows XP SP1 fine for a long while on my home wireless
    > > network. Now I have installed SP2 I can not get internet connections to work.
    > > I have tried re running the home netorking wizard on all pc and disabling
    > > the new firewall on the internal network cards. Any ideas?

    Just to close this issue (at least for me), I was able to get the wireless
    network working with the 64-bit WEP key finally. No Wireless problems now.
    I updated my NoteBook Adapter wireless card driver. I suspect many of the
    wireless issues we are seeing may be problems form older drivers.
    For the record, my wireless system components:
    LinkSys WPC55AG Dual Band A+G NoteBook Adapter (Original, not the 1.1
    version)
    LinkSys WPS54GU2 Wireless print Server
    LinkSys WRT54G Wireless G BroadBand Router.

    "Rob Pinnington" wrote:

    > I have been running Windows XP SP1 fine for a long while on my home wireless
    > network. Now I have installed SP2 I can not get internet connections to work.
    > I have tried re running the home netorking wizard on all pc and disabling
    > the new firewall on the internal network cards. Any ideas?

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:11:02 -0700, BobLaz
    <BobLaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Just to close this issue (at least for me), I was able to get the wireless
    >network working with the 64-bit WEP key finally. No Wireless problems now.
    >I updated my NoteBook Adapter wireless card driver. I suspect many of the
    >wireless issues we are seeing may be problems form older drivers.
    >For the record, my wireless system components:
    >LinkSys WPC55AG Dual Band A+G NoteBook Adapter (Original, not the 1.1
    >version)
    >LinkSys WPS54GU2 Wireless print Server
    >LinkSys WRT54G Wireless G BroadBand Router.

    LinkSys must have paid their protection money to Microsoft ...!!!!

    SP2 is designed to put these issues right ... user and consumers
    suffer ..

    >"Rob Pinnington" wrote:
    >
    >> I have been running Windows XP SP1 fine for a long while on my home wireless
    >> network. Now I have installed SP2 I can not get internet connections to work.
    >> I have tried re running the home netorking wizard on all pc and disabling
    >> the new firewall on the internal network cards. Any ideas?

Wireless Wireless Network Wireless Networking