HP SCSI Tape Devices not picked up

I have two machines, each with an Adaptec AHA-2944UW Differential SCSI
adpater. Attached to one of the adapters is a HP SureStore DAT24 tape
device. Attached to the other machine is a HP SureStore DAT24x6
Autoloader.
The adapter is picked up on both machines, but the tape device is
picked up on neither. If I hit Ctrl+A during boot up it shows the
adapter at SCSI ID 7 as you would expect, but does not show the
device at all. Also, while one of the machines is booting up it gives
an error about 'Time-out Failure During SCSI Inquiry Command!
Rescanning for SCSI Devices'.
There is only device attached to each machine and the device has a
terminator. Any ideas what could be causing this??? :?

In article <421de1f6_5@alt.athenanews.com>,
vtest <keanesean@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote:
>I have two machines, each with an Adaptec AHA-2944UW Differential SCSI
>adpater. Attached to one of the adapters is a HP SureStore DAT24 tape
>device. Attached to the other machine is a HP SureStore DAT24x6
>Autoloader.
>The adapter is picked up on both machines, but the tape device is
>picked up on neither. If I hit Ctrl+A during boot up it shows the
>adapter at SCSI ID 7 as you would expect, but does not show the
>device at all. Also, while one of the machines is booting up it gives
>an error about 'Time-out Failure During SCSI Inquiry Command!
>Rescanning for SCSI Devices'.
>There is only device attached to each machine and the device has a
>terminator. Any ideas what could be causing this??? :?

You're sure the tape drives are high voltage differential devices? I have
an HP loader and it's single-ended, although that doesn't prove that HVD
versions were made.

The fact that the devices aren't picked up at boot indicates something very
wrong with the basic setup - devices not HVD, no power to the tape device, bad
cable, etc.

Mike Squires
who has several 2944UW's in use
--