adding more PCI slots?

Is it possible to somehow add more PCI slots? Even temporarily? Most motherboards now come with a max
of 5. If you're using 2 extra monitors (PCI video cards with your AGP), a SCSI controller, a Firewire if
your mb or soundcard doesn't have it, a good soundcard, a hardware modem - poof - all gone. Of course I
could get a mb with SCSI, and Firewire I guess. And use an external modem. Though they are hard to find
with headset (mic/spkr) jacks.

Not unless the MB has a slot for a PCI riser card. They have extra pins for bus
mastering.

Audio and Firewire can be combined, audio can go on Firewire, modem on USB.

They should make Firewire - SCSI 3 bridges, but I've never heard of one.

Previously Frank W. <reply_to_newsgroup@please.ccom> wrote:
> Is it possible to somehow add more PCI slots? Even temporarily?

No. Or extremely expensive.

> Most motherboards now come with a max of 5. If you're using 2 extra
> monitors (PCI video cards with your AGP), a SCSI controller, a
> Firewire if your mb or soundcard doesn't have it, a good soundcard,
> a hardware modem - poof - all gone. Of course I could get a mb with
> SCSI, and Firewire I guess. And use an external modem. Though they
> are hard to find with headset (mic/spkr) jacks.

You could look for an industrial PC mainboard. They often have
more slots.

Arno

Arno Wagner wrote:

>You could look for an industrial PC mainboard. They often have
>more slots.

With PC bridge chips on the motherboard, which is a requirement to
move past the 5 or so slots that you can put on the primary PCI chip.

I think the guy should be looking at the Matrox Parahelia, which
supports 3 monitors all by itself.

Frank W <reply_to_newsgroup@please.ccom> wrote
in message news:38775mF5d61ntU1@individual.net...

> Is it possible to somehow add more PCI slots? Even temporarily?

Not really.

> Most motherboards now come with a max of 5.

There are a few with more, and when you combine that with ensuring
that most of the stuff you need is integrated too, that can be a viable route.

> If you're using 2 extra monitors (PCI video cards with your AGP),
> a SCSI controller, a Firewire if your mb or soundcard doesn't
> have it, a good soundcard, a hardware modem - poof - all gone.
> Of course I could get a mb with SCSI, and Firewire I guess.

Or give up on SCSI, its well past its useby date now.

> And use an external modem. Though they
> are hard to find with headset (mic/spkr) jacks.

That stuff can be done with the sound system tho.

> > And use an external modem. Though they
> > are hard to find with headset (mic/spkr) jacks.
>
> That stuff can be done with the sound system tho.

you mean the sound card? so its a voicemodem with no mic /spkr input/output becaue you use the
soundcard?

"Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:387bmdF5jvjvfU1@individual.net
> Previously Frank W. <reply_to_newsgroup@please.ccom> wrote:
> > Is it possible to somehow add more PCI slots?

Google PCI Backplane

> Even temporarily?
>
> No.

Nope.

> Or extremely expensive.

See.

On 2005-02-25 16:34, Jure Sah wrote:
> Frank W. wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to somehow add more PCI slots?
>

> http://www.2hightech.com/products/backplanes/riser.htm

The passive cards are intended for motherboards with no PCI slots, only
a riser slot.

If you already have a full bus, you need an active board & a bridge chip
to be able to drive the bus properly.

(I also recall some IDE/boot devices may be undetected by the BIOS if
located outside the local PCI bus. YMMV.)

/Rolf

Frank W <reply_to_newsgroup@please.ccom> wrote
in message news:38892nF5m5e7vU1@individual.net...

>>> And use an external modem. Though they
>>> are hard to find with headset (mic/spkr) jacks.

>> That stuff can be done with the sound system tho.

> you mean the sound card?

Or more commonly with the sound system integrated
on the motherboard now, particularly if you want to
maximise the number of PCI slots available.

> so its a voicemodem with no mic /spkr input/output
> becaue you use the soundcard?

Yep.

"Jure Sah" <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message
> Frank W. wrote:
>> Is it possible to somehow add more PCI slots?
>
> http://www.2hightech.com/products/backplanes/riser.htm
>
> --
> Model: INFJ
> Primary function: Coprocessor
> Secondary function: Cluster commander
>
> "None felt feline, so I discounted copycat syndrome..."
> -- Ghost Song

I just cant see how those riser cards could work. As the cards plug into the
riser horizontally then they'd cover at least 2 or 3 slots anyway - defeats
the whole point of having it. And I dont know of any cases which would have
enough room at the end even if the riser was placed in the last socket. Just
cant see how these could ever be used in practice.

Whats the point?

I'm confused,

Ian

They are for U2 cases, which are not tall enough for LP PCI cards.

"Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message

> I just cant see how those riser cards could work. As the cards plug into the
> riser horizontally then they'd cover at least 2 or 3 slots anyway - defeats
> the whole point of having it. And I dont know of any cases which would have
> enough room at the end even if the riser was placed in the last socket. Just
> cant see how these could ever be used in practice.

> > > Is it possible to somehow add more PCI slots?
>
> Google PCI Backplane

I've looked at www.rackmountnet.com and it doesn't say how you use the card. ??? What does it plug
into? Is it taxing on the power supply? Any idea how much the cheapest (4 slot) one costs?