Transfering a hard drive to another computer

I have an older Dell 266 computer with an 8.4gb HD in it. I would like
to add a 20GB Hd that already has an OS on it. I have tried installing
it but when it boots the first screen shows the HD but soon after it
brings up the safe mode prompt and won't go any farther. I have tried
ever thing I know to do and no luck. I was told that some of the older
motherboards that support 8.4GB HD'S WON'T except anything larger. Is
this correct? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chamaman

Chamaman wrote:

> I have an older Dell 266 computer with an 8.4gb HD in it. I would like
> to add a 20GB Hd that already has an OS on it. I have tried installing
> it but when it boots the first screen shows the HD but soon after it
> brings up the safe mode prompt and won't go any farther.

It's probably been set up on a completely different computer. So when
you put it in the Dell, the OS on the 20GB drive doesn't find the
hardware it's been set up to use.

Try a repair install with the 20GB drive in the Dell.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts

"Odie Ferrous" <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Chamaman wrote:
> >
> > I have an older Dell 266 computer with an 8.4gb HD in it. I would like
> > to add a 20GB Hd that already has an OS on it. I have tried installing
> > it but when it boots the first screen shows the HD but soon after it
> > brings up the safe mode prompt and won't go any farther.

It would help if you told us the OS on the two drives.

> It's probably been set up on a completely different computer. So when
> you put it in the Dell, the OS on the 20GB drive doesn't find the
> hardware it's been set up to use.
>
> Try a repair install with the 20GB drive in the Dell.

Which may not even be Win 2K/XP. Moving OS to older machines is rarely fixable.

Image the old 8G drive to the 20G, or clean install XP if RAM is 128MB+.

Chamaman <chamaman@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I have an older Dell 266 computer with an 8.4gb HD in it.
> I would like to add a 20GB Hd that already has an OS on it.

Handy if you said which particular OS.

> I have tried installing it but when it boots the first screen shows the HD
> but soon after it brings up the safe mode prompt and won't go any farther.

Most likely some of the drivers for the system it
came out of arent appropriate for the Dell 266.

> I have tried ever thing I know to do and no luck.

You should first use a drive type of AUTO and see what happens.

Then if that still doesnt work, try formatting the
drive in the Dell and installing the OS again.

> I was told that some of the older motherboards that support
> 8.4GB HD'S WON'T except anything larger. Is this correct?

Not that common in systems of that vintage.

Havent bothered to check the Dell specifics tho.

Eric Gisin <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:cvnjn40aru@enews1.newsguy.com...
> Odie Ferrous <odie_ferrous@hotmail.com> wrote
>> Chamaman wrote

>>> I have an older Dell 266 computer with an 8.4gb HD in it. I would like
>>> to add a 20GB Hd that already has an OS on it. I have tried installing
>>> it but when it boots the first screen shows the HD but soon after it
>>> brings up the safe mode prompt and won't go any farther.

> It would help if you told us the OS on the two drives.

>> It's probably been set up on a completely different computer.
>> So when you put it in the Dell, the OS on the 20GB drive
>> doesn't find the hardware it's been set up to use.

>> Try a repair install with the 20GB drive in the Dell.

> Which may not even be Win 2K/XP. Moving OS to older machines is rarely
> fixable.

Bullshit.