R.I.P. valve

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

x-no-archive: yes

fellow pc gamers have accused me off treason cause now i no
longer fight for changes in steam or a steam free half-life 2
i think they are being totally unfair to me

yes i wanted to buy and play half-life 2, but that could only
happen with a steam free version or at least changes made that
would take off all the abusive and damaging features

yes i wanted to play future valve pc games, but that could
only happen if valve would abandon the steam technology or at
least make big changes to it

i started fighting valve by asking them to make changes to
steam... but they didn't change anything and maintained every
single damaging and abusive features so i gave up dealing with
details cause i realize valve would make things their way and
never change anything or listen to us pc gamers

i them started fighting for a steam free version of half-life 2
but i realize valve would rather die than give up steam

now i'm realistic and pragmatic and i know valve will never
again go back and they will forever use the intrusive abusive
and against consumer right steam technology

lets face reality
fighting for changes is steam is a lost battle!
fighting for a steam free half-life 2 is a lost battle!
neither of them will ever happen!

so i focus on the only possible solution and that was steam
leaving the retail channel
all my later posts focus on this, steam stopping infecting the
retail channel and leaving us alone and that finally happen so
i'm happy for finally my dear and beloved retail channel be
steam free
yes its a second best but its important and vital to save pc
games

no i'm not betraying anything but rather i'm being realistic
for me valve pc games are dead cause they will always have
steam infection and that i'll never accept

yes it hurts not being able to play valve pc games no more,
but rather that than becoming a weak submissive brainwashed
controled imprisoned pc gamer
my dignity and freedom always first!

one thing i'm sure... like in the past i've never changed my
mind about steam... and that will remain forever
since the beginning i've been totally consistent, the only
thing that change was the strategy, i started by asking for
changes to steam and when that failed i started asking for
a steam free half-life 2 and when that failed too i started
asking for steam leaving the retail channel and that finally
came

lets not forget the presence of steam in retail has been very
damaging to pc games and to us all pc gamers, so it stoping is
an extremely important good news and a victory to us

yes i agree steam leaving the retail channel was never my 1st
choice or the perfect solution... its only the 2nd or even 3rd
one but we must deal with the reality and the reality is we
are facing a ruthless greedy dictator and not a democrat
there is no democracy in valve's world
valve has never listen to us and will never do

bottom line is, we are in a war and steam is finally out from
the retail channel were it was doing so much harm and damage
lets be happy about it and continue defending pc games
we should all pretend valve is dead and cary on buying playing
and being pc gamers with no valve
nobody in this world is unreplaceable and pc games will survive
and prosper without valve!
long live pc games!
R.I.P. valve

ps: the high number of threads dealing with this subject steam
getting out of the retail channel has enough importance and is
without any doubt the matter of the moment to justify it

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

    steamKILLER wrote:

    > ps: the high number of threads dealing with this subject steam
    > getting out of the retail channel has enough importance and is
    > without any doubt the matter of the moment to justify it

    I'm hoping the men in white coats will take the computer away from you soon.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
    > steamKILLER wrote:
    >
    > > ps: the high number of threads dealing with this subject steam
    > > getting out of the retail channel has enough importance and is
    > > without any doubt the matter of the moment to justify it
    >
    > I'm hoping the men in white coats will take the computer away from you
    soon.

    I'm thinking of buying HL2 just to piss him off.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    wow, block sender really works.
    "sittingduck" <spam.no.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
    > steamKILLER wrote:
    >
    >> ps: the high number of threads dealing with this subject steam
    >> getting out of the retail channel has enough importance and is
    >> without any doubt the matter of the moment to justify it
    >
    > I'm hoping the men in white coats will take the computer away from you
    > soon.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On 1 May 2005 06:17:13 -0700, "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >long live pc games!

    Heh. That's like going up to somebody with terminal lung cancer and
    patting on the back with a "don't worry, you'll be fine!" :o
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    steamKILLER wrote:
    > x-no-archive: yes

    Why no archive if you mean what you say?
    I think I'll preserve your nonsense for the amusement of
    future generations of Googlegroups explorers.

    > fellow pc gamers have accused me off treason cause now i no
    > longer fight for changes in steam or a steam free half-life 2
    > i think they are being totally unfair to me
    >
    > yes i wanted to buy and play half-life 2, but that could only
    > happen with a steam free version

    That would be the console version.

    > or at least changes made that
    > would take off all the abusive and damaging features
    > yes i wanted to play future valve pc games, but that could
    > only happen if valve would abandon the steam technology or at
    > least make big changes to it
    >
    > i started fighting valve by asking them to make changes to
    > steam... but they didn't change anything and maintained every
    > single damaging and abusive features so i gave up dealing with
    > details cause i realize valve would make things their way and
    > never change anything or listen to us pc gamers
    >
    > i them started fighting for a steam free version of half-life 2
    > but i realize valve would rather die than give up steam
    >
    > now i'm realistic and pragmatic and i know valve will never
    > again go back and they will forever use the intrusive abusive
    > and against consumer right steam technology
    >
    > lets face reality
    > fighting for changes is steam is a lost battle!
    > fighting for a steam free half-life 2 is a lost battle!
    > neither of them will ever happen!
    >
    > so i focus on the only possible solution and that was steam
    > leaving the retail channel
    > all my later posts focus on this, steam stopping infecting the
    > retail channel and leaving us alone and that finally happen so
    > i'm happy for finally my dear and beloved retail channel

    Your "dear and beloved retail channel?"
    You don't get out much, do you?
    That or you're a very strange troll.
    Probably both.

    > be steam free
    > yes its a second best but its important and vital to save pc
    > games
    >
    > no i'm not betraying anything but rather i'm being realistic
    > for me valve pc games are dead cause they will always have
    > steam infection and that i'll never accept
    >
    > yes it hurts not being able to play valve pc games no more,
    > but rather that than becoming a weak submissive brainwashed
    > controled imprisoned pc gamer
    > my dignity and freedom always first!
    >
    > one thing i'm sure... like in the past i've never changed my
    > mind about steam... and that will remain forever
    > since the beginning i've been totally consistent, the only
    > thing that change was the strategy, i started by asking for
    > changes to steam and when that failed i started asking for
    > a steam free half-life 2 and when that failed too i started
    > asking for steam leaving the retail channel and that finally
    > came
    >
    > lets not forget the presence of steam in retail has been very
    > damaging to pc games and to us all pc gamers, so it stoping is
    > an extremely important good news and a victory to us
    >
    > yes i agree steam leaving the retail channel was never my 1st
    > choice or the perfect solution... its only the 2nd or even 3rd
    > one but we must deal with the reality and the reality is we
    > are facing a ruthless greedy dictator and not a democrat
    > there is no democracy in valve's world
    > valve has never listen to us and will never do
    >
    > bottom line is, we are in a war and steam is finally out from
    > the retail channel were it was doing so much harm and damage
    > lets be happy about it and continue defending pc games
    > we should all pretend valve is dead and cary on buying playing
    > and being pc gamers with no valve
    > nobody in this world is unreplaceable and pc games will survive
    > and prosper without valve!
    > long live pc games!
    > R.I.P. valve

    Valve is still alive.
    They have a top selling game. Even if they don't manage to find
    another publisher, gamers who don't mind Steam will be willing
    to download their new games over broadband because of the
    games' quality.

    > ps: the high number of threads dealing with this subject steam
    > getting out of the retail channel has enough importance and is
    > without any doubt the matter of the moment to justify it
    >
    > --
    > post made in a steam-free computer
    > i said "NO" to valve and steam

  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    SNORE.

    Alanb
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Terry" <terry@tbean.freeserve.co.uk> once tried to test me with:

    ><snip>
    >
    > I agree with everything you say and applaud your crusade.
    >
    > Please carry on.

    Pock Suppet Much?

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Well, it figures. Some unemployed ignoramus from Lisbon, Portugal:

    TELEPAC - COMUNICACOES INTERACTIVAS SA
    LISBON, PORTUGAL

    Let's see. What is coming out of Portugal these days. Great PC games?
    Don't know of *any*, much less great ones. Computer technology? Nope.
    Software industry? Nada. Haven't heard of anything coming out of
    Portugal except for goat cheese and olive oil. Not exactly a hotbed for
    PC games business. The percentage of pirates probably exceeds the
    number that actually buy games. Judging by
    difool/sayNO2steam/steamKiller, they have a shortage of sane people,
    too. Yeah, Valve really needs to be worried about some Portugee goat
    herder, a real threat there.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    mrlg wrote:
    > steamKILLER wrote:

    ---Snip

    Lol, im sorry to break this to you, but Steam is the future. With the
    proliferation of Broadband and ever increasing bandwidths, all games
    software will eventualy switch to this model. Just look at the
    advantages: No manufacturing costs, publishers, better control of code
    to help combat piracy etc etc.

    XBox2 will be taking this to the next level, and soon, maybe by the next
    generation, there will be no "retail channel" and everything will be
    online. Mark my words.

    So R.I.P retail channel.
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Gusvaldo wrote:
    > mrlg wrote:
    >> steamKILLER wrote:
    >>
    > ---Snip
    >>>

    > Lol, im sorry to break this to you, but Steam is the future. With the
    > proliferation of Broadband and ever increasing bandwidths, all games
    > software will eventualy switch to this model. Just look at the
    > advantages: No manufacturing costs, publishers, better control of code
    > to help combat piracy etc etc.
    >
    > XBox2 will be taking this to the next level, and soon, maybe by the
    > next generation, there will be no "retail channel" and everything
    > will be online. Mark my words.

    How is XBox 2 gonna be taking this to the next level? I thought it wouldn't
    come with a built-in hard drive.

    Of course, there's that Phantom game console that was supposed to come out,
    which was going to require you to download all your content, as there
    weren't going to be any disc drives or anything. What ever happened to it?

    --
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    x-no-archive: yes

    OldDog wrote:

    <snip the same old valve pro steam propaganda>

    you are outdated! you have lost! at least acknowledge that!

    what i asked for finally become a reality!

    this is a full quote of a post i made almost 3 months ago!
    three months ago i asked for what has now been decided, and
    you can't stand the fact i was right!

    <start of quote>

    From: sayNO2steam <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
    Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
    Subject: We want Steam out of Retail Channel
    Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005

    We want Steam out of Retail Channel

    obviously the move Germany made to make Valve change the HL2 retail box
    is a great first step... but its not enough... and we ambition more!

    its still short of what we want, which is at least make Valve take away
    steam from the retail market
    Valve is using the retail market to force steam into pc games, when we
    all know the ultimate objective of steam is to kill it

    there has to be a separation between broadband electronic distribution
    technologies like steam and the retail market

    we know Valve is "using" the retail channel for their own advantage by
    forcing steam into every pc gamers so they can "educate" and make us
    get used to steam, so not only this is a dirty tactic, but the
    objective of this is to later steam itself kill the retail channel, the
    same one its now using
    when steam has done its mission it will cowardly stab in the back the
    retail channel so it can then alone monopolize the market

    Valve knows they can't make steam alone a viable way to sell pc games
    unless they use the retail channel, but that's wrong cause its damaging
    the retail channel and ultimately us gamers
    if steam is so good, let it WIN with fair competition, let it be alone
    and not use the own retail channel to promote itself
    we want fair competition between traditional and electronic
    distribution which means only with a steam FREE retail channel
    competition yes but between steam and a steam FREE retail channel
    and then we can find out who will win or better find out that both
    can coexist, but never infecting the retail channel with electronic
    distributions technologies like online activation which is wrong and
    will only degrade it

    we don't want the "mixing" between electronic distribution technologies
    like steam and the retail market

    we don't want electronic distribution technologies like steam to
    "infect" the retail market

    we want total SEPARATION between technologies like steam and the retail
    market

    steam technologies must only be available online via the internet

    so after Germany made the right move, we now must ask for steam to
    be taken of the retail market, for steam to not "infect" this market
    that for over 10 years has been so successful in selling pc games
    steam yes for the gamers that want it, but only via electronic
    distribution and keep the choice of the majority of gamers that don't
    want it and maintain the traditional way of physical medium version cd
    or dvd sold in retail without any online activation

    and long live the pc game retail market! (always steam free)

    <end of quote>

    from the beginning you have been one of my most active promoters
    of steam in this group, and let me tell you this, since november
    2004 this news about vivendi stop selling valve games is the first
    major defeat valve had but its not over and i'm sure valve will
    have many more defeats until they finally end and die

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    x-no-archive: yes

    Jim S. wrote:

    > What is the problem? I am new to all of this steam/HL2 stuff.

    hi Jim
    clad you are with us and please stay cause what we need is
    a new generation of pc gamers that know how to defend and
    protect pc games

    as for your question please let me answer it
    valve, is a developer/publisher of pc games and created
    a program/technology called steam, and what steam does is
    change everything in pc games
    steam changes the way pc games are packaged
    steam changes the way you buy pc games
    steam changes the way you install pc games
    steam changes the way you play pc games
    steam changes the way you store pc games
    steam changes the way you patch pc games
    steam changes the way you use and play mods
    steam changes the way you sell 2nd hand pc games

    everything in pc games is changed with steam
    but why valve decided to change everything when the system we
    have has been great and so successful for the last decade?
    the answer is power and money
    ultimately steam is a total paradigm shift in pc games, making
    pc games services with the developer/publisher having absolute
    control and the pc gamer/consumer being total dependant and
    controled
    with steam you only play, install, patch, use mods when valve
    lets you
    with valve's pc games you no longer install play and use the
    product you payed for when you want to, but rather when valve
    wants
    they control, they order, you only obey!

    steam is an extremely abusive and damage system for pc gamers
    a system totally against consumer rights

    steam was only made to benefit the developer/publisher and it
    does a great amount of damage to us pc gamers to us consumers

    we must all unit and fight steam
    fighting steam is protecting pc games

    now i understand you want to read more about steam, so i leave
    you some links with other points of view

    http://www.talkaboutcomputing.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/messages/696477.html
    http://www.talkaboutcomputing.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/messages/699430.html
    http://www.talkaboutcomputing.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/messages/697893.html
    http://www.talkaboutcomputing.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/messages/696921.html
    http://www.talkaboutcomputing.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/messages/696320.html
    http://www.talkaboutcomputing.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/messages/693411.html

    and to end i also leave you with the best ever graphic representation
    of what steam does to all pc gamers that accept steam and let valve
    have total control over them

    http://www.nforce.nl/forum/images/avatars/1405845568421463c26ef44.gif

    --
    post made in a steam-free computer
    i said "NO" to valve and steam
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > fellow pc gamers have accused me off treason cause now i no
    > longer fight for changes in steam or a steam free half-life 2
    > i think they are being totally unfair to me

    You've belittled, berated, and bemoaned others in here..
    I think you've been totally unfair to them.

    > yes i wanted to buy and play half-life 2, but that could only
    > happen with a steam free version or at least changes made that
    > would take off all the abusive and damaging features
    >
    > yes i wanted to play future valve pc games, but that could
    > only happen if valve would abandon the steam technology or at
    > least make big changes to it

    IMHO in 10 years, there will no longer be any pc games sold in a box at a
    retail store.

    > i started fighting valve by asking them to make changes to
    > steam... but they didn't change anything and maintained every
    > single damaging and abusive features so i gave up dealing with
    > details cause i realize valve would make things their way and
    > never change anything or listen to us pc gamers

    Did you send Valve an email, write a letter, or call them? If so, what
    kind of a reply did you get?

    In fact, has anyone in here written a letter or contacted Valve and raised
    issues with them over Steam?

    > i them started fighting for a steam free version of half-life 2
    > but i realize valve would rather die than give up steam

    I wonder why that is?
    Could it be cause they don't trust the publishers?

    > now i'm realistic and pragmatic and i know valve will never
    > again go back and they will forever use the intrusive abusive
    > and against consumer right steam technology

    Never say never.
    And never give up.

    > lets face reality
    > fighting for changes is steam is a lost battle!
    > fighting for a steam free half-life 2 is a lost battle!
    > neither of them will ever happen!

    A lost battle? No its not. A true pc gamer would never give up.

    > so i focus on the only possible solution and that was steam
    > leaving the retail channel

    You should reread the websites. Valve has won round 1.

    http://games.channel.aol.com/news.adp?articleID=266697&gameID=533
    Valve founder Gabe Newell said, "We're happy the court has affirmed the
    meaning of our publishing contract. This is good news for Valve and its
    cyber café partners around the world."

    http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/legal//valve-wins-cyber-cafe-fight-026496.php

    http://www.ferrago.com/portal/cluster/34783

    > all my later posts focus on this, steam stopping infecting the
    > retail channel and leaving us alone and that finally happen so
    > i'm happy for finally my dear and beloved retail channel be
    > steam free
    > yes its a second best but its important and vital to save pc
    > games

    I was at Best Buy today. Half Life 2 was still on the shelves in a box.

    > no i'm not betraying anything but rather i'm being realistic
    > for me valve pc games are dead cause they will always have
    > steam infection and that i'll never accept
    >
    > yes it hurts not being able to play valve pc games no more,
    > but rather that than becoming a weak submissive brainwashed
    > controled imprisoned pc gamer
    > my dignity and freedom always first!

    If it hurts you, recommend that you seek medical attention. Maybe we can
    get a group discount? I'm going in next week to see a shrink about the
    pain that I have over not being able to play SWAT4 or Doom 3 on WinME.
    ooooOOOHhhhhHHH!

    > one thing i'm sure... like in the past i've never changed my
    > mind about steam... and that will remain forever
    > since the beginning i've been totally consistent, the only
    > thing that change was the strategy, i started by asking for
    > changes to steam and when that failed i started asking for
    > a steam free half-life 2 and when that failed too i started
    > asking for steam leaving the retail channel and that finally
    > came

    What changes did you suggest to Valve?
    Did Gabe send your letters back unopened?

    > lets not forget the presence of steam in retail has been very
    > damaging to pc games and to us all pc gamers, so it stoping is
    > an extremely important good news and a victory to us

    Half Life 2 is no longer for sale in retail stores?
    Got a link?

    > yes i agree steam leaving the retail channel was never my 1st
    > choice or the perfect solution... its only the 2nd or even 3rd
    > one but we must deal with the reality and the reality is we
    > are facing a ruthless greedy dictator and not a democrat
    > there is no democracy in valve's world
    > valve has never listen to us and will never do

    All companies are in buisness to make a profit. If not, they soon go out
    of business. So I guess you could say that all companies in buisness are
    greedy.

    <snip>
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    You are batshit insane.
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    On Sun, 01 May 2005 21:23:42 +0100, Gusvaldo <null@thedean.com> wrote:

    >mrlg wrote:
    >> steamKILLER wrote:
    >>
    >---Snip
    >>>

    >Lol, im sorry to break this to you, but Steam is the future. With the
    >proliferation of Broadband and ever increasing bandwidths, all games
    >software will eventualy switch to this model. Just look at the
    >advantages: No manufacturing costs, publishers, better control of code
    >to help combat piracy etc etc.
    >
    >XBox2 will be taking this to the next level, and soon, maybe by the next
    >generation, there will be no "retail channel" and everything will be
    >online. Mark my words.

    If Xbox2 cannor run Xbox games, ( or alternatively the most popular
    CURRENT Xbox games ( Halo, Halo2 etc ) are ported to the Xbox2
    and made available FREE to current owners of these games ), the
    next level that you are talking about is going to be so small ( or so
    slow developing any market momentum in terms of sales ) that it will
    be totally ignored, download or not.

    John Lewis

    >So R.I.P retail channel.
  16. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    wrote:

    >x-no-archive: yes
    >
    >fellow pc gamers have accused me off treason cause now i no
    >longer fight for changes in steam or a steam free half-life 2

    Up yours.
  17. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Blig Merk" wrote
    > Well, it figures. Some unemployed ignoramus from Lisbon, Portugal:

    > TELEPAC - COMUNICACOES INTERACTIVAS SA
    > LISBON, PORTUGAL

    > Let's see. What is coming out of Portugal these days. Great PC games?
    > Don't know of *any*, much less great ones. Computer technology? Nope.
    > Software industry? Nada. Haven't heard of anything coming out of
    > Portugal except for goat cheese and olive oil. Not exactly a hotbed for
    > PC games business. The percentage of pirates probably exceeds the
    > number that actually buy games. Judging by
    > difool/sayNO2steam/steamKiller, they have a shortage of sane people,
    > too. Yeah, Valve really needs to be worried about some Portugee goat
    > herder, a real threat there.

    You sad little man.
  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    I like Steam.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    > as for your question please let me answer it
    > valve, is a developer/publisher of pc games and created
    > a program/technology called steam, and what steam does is
    > change everything in pc games
    > steam changes the way pc games are packaged

    My Half-Life 2 is packed in a nice DVD case which is sitting on my shelf
    next to me here, along with the other games that i have bought.

    > steam changes the way you buy pc games

    No, i popped along to PC World or Game or wherever it was and bought it in
    the shop.

    > steam changes the way you install pc games

    No, i put the dvd in the drive and click on "Install" and lo ane behold it
    did!

    > steam changes the way you play pc games

    No... i put the dvd in the drive and a screen pops up with a choice of 3 or
    4 things. One of which is "Play Half Life 2" i click on that and it plays.
    Just like..oh.. every other game i have.

    > steam changes the way you store pc games

    No, its stored on the hard drive and on a dvd on the shelf like EVERY OTHER
    game i have.

    > steam changes the way you patch pc games

    No, the in-game update system checks for me and updates automatically, ever
    played Halo, C&C Generals, etc..?

    > steam changes the way you use and play mods

    I've not played mods sinve quake3

    > steam changes the way you sell 2nd hand pc games

    I dont sell 2nd hand games.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> looked up from reading the
    say:

    >x-no-archive: yes
    >
    >fellow pc gamers have accused me off treason cause now i no
    >longer fight for changes in steam or a steam free half-life 2
    >i think they are being totally unfair to me

    You're in the killfile, but so many people have quoted this bit I just
    had to reply.

    1. "fellow PC gamers": not once have you ever listed the games you're
    playing or discussed them, you have outright refused to do so. The only
    time you ever mentioned games you have played and/or own, was games a
    decade old.

    You're no "fellow" to the posters here, because you aren't part of the
    group and you don't take part in what the group is all about.

    2. Accused you of treason? No one has ever accused you of treason, we
    have however flat out stated the fact that you're a raving lunatic.

    >i started fighting valve by asking them to make changes to
    >steam... but they didn't change anything and maintained every
    >single damaging and abusive features so i gave up dealing with
    >details cause i realize valve would make things their way and
    >never change anything or listen to us pc gamers

    Really, so exactly what communications did you have with Valve?

    Posting random lunacy to this newsgroup is NOT asking Valve anything
    since they don't read or participate in this group.

    Didn't you promise to go away April 1st?

    You're not a traitor, but you are now a proven liar.

    Xocyll
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "James" <jamesspamtrap@mourby.plusspam.com.invalid> wrote in message

    > "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> as for your question please let me answer it
    >> valve, is a developer/publisher of pc games and created
    >> a program/technology called steam, and what steam does is
    >> change everything in pc games
    >> steam changes the way pc games are packaged
    >
    > My Half-Life 2 is packed in a nice DVD case which is sitting on my shelf
    > next to me here, along with the other games that i have bought.
    >
    >> steam changes the way you buy pc games
    >
    > No, i popped along to PC World or Game or wherever it was and bought it in
    > the shop.
    >
    >> steam changes the way you install pc games
    >
    > No, i put the dvd in the drive and click on "Install" and lo ane behold
    > it did!
    >
    >> steam changes the way you play pc games
    >
    > No... i put the dvd in the drive and a screen pops up with a choice of 3
    > or 4 things. One of which is "Play Half Life 2" i click on that and it
    > plays. Just like..oh.. every other game i have.
    >
    >> steam changes the way you store pc games
    >
    > No, its stored on the hard drive and on a dvd on the shelf like EVERY
    > OTHER game i have.
    >
    >> steam changes the way you patch pc games
    >
    > No, the in-game update system checks for me and updates automatically,
    > ever played Halo, C&C Generals, etc..?
    >
    >> steam changes the way you use and play mods
    >
    > I've not played mods sinve quake3
    >
    >> steam changes the way you sell 2nd hand pc games
    >
    > I dont sell 2nd hand games.

    You will learn.
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > OldDog wrote:
    >
    > <snip the same old valve pro steam propaganda>
    >
    > you are outdated! you have lost! at least acknowledge that!
    >
    > what i asked for finally become a reality!
    >
    > this is a full quote of a post i made almost 3 months ago!
    > three months ago i asked for what has now been decided, and
    > you can't stand the fact i was right!
    >
    > <start of quote>
    >
    > From: sayNO2steam <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
    > Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
    > Subject: We want Steam out of Retail Channel
    > Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005
    >
    > We want Steam out of Retail Channel

    That isn't happening. :) It is VIVENDI UNIVERSAL GAMES that is now out
    of Valve Softwares retail distribution :) Valve will continue to
    distribute its own products any way it sees fit. Including both via
    Steam and via retailers.
    McG.

    > obviously the move Germany made to make Valve change the HL2 retail
    > box is a great first step... but its not enough... and we ambition
    > more!
    >
    > its still short of what we want, which is at least make Valve take
    > away steam from the retail market
    > Valve is using the retail market to force steam into pc games, when we
    > all know the ultimate objective of steam is to kill it
    >
    > there has to be a separation between broadband electronic distribution
    > technologies like steam and the retail market
    >
    > we know Valve is "using" the retail channel for their own advantage by
    > forcing steam into every pc gamers so they can "educate" and make us
    > get used to steam, so not only this is a dirty tactic, but the
    > objective of this is to later steam itself kill the retail channel,
    > the same one its now using
    > when steam has done its mission it will cowardly stab in the back the
    > retail channel so it can then alone monopolize the market
    >
    > Valve knows they can't make steam alone a viable way to sell pc games
    > unless they use the retail channel, but that's wrong cause its
    > damaging the retail channel and ultimately us gamers
    > if steam is so good, let it WIN with fair competition, let it be alone
    > and not use the own retail channel to promote itself

    > we want
    you must have a mouse in your pocket.

    > fair competition between traditional and electronic
    > distribution which means only with a steam FREE retail channel
    > competition yes but between steam and a steam FREE retail channel
    > and then we can find out who will win or better find out that both
    > can coexist, but never infecting the retail channel with electronic
    > distributions technologies like online activation which is wrong and
    > will only degrade it

    That is not yours or mine to decide. Valve may distribute its products
    in any legal way it wants to. That's law. You can do the same. You
    have something you want distributed? GO for it!

    > we don't want the "mixing" between electronic distribution
    > technologies like steam and the retail market
    >
    > we don't want electronic distribution technologies like steam to
    > "infect" the retail market

    That is your choice. Don't buy it.

    > we want total SEPARATION between technologies like steam and the
    > retail market

    You aren't going to get that. It is not in your or my legal means to
    have that.

    > steam technologies must only be available online via the internet

    You have the ability to ask Valve to do that. Valve have the ability
    to say no to you.

    > so after Germany made the right move, we now must ask for steam to
    > be taken of the retail market, for steam to not "infect" this market
    > that for over 10 years has been so successful in selling pc games
    > steam yes for the gamers that want it, but only via electronic
    > distribution and keep the choice of the majority of gamers that don't
    > want it and maintain the traditional way of physical medium version cd
    > or dvd sold in retail without any online activation

    Oh? Why aren't you picking on Microsoft and Office XP and Windows XP
    then? They're all about online activation. You condone this? Doesn't
    matter whether you do or don't. Federal judges say they have the right
    to be paid for their work. So does Valve.

    > and long live the pc game retail market! (always steam free)

    WHY are you just picking on Valve and its Steam? WHY aren't you picking
    on UbiSoft and its means of regulation of its published works? Hm? WHY
    aren't you picking on Sony and its double charging scheme it started and
    *INFECTED* the rest of the MMORPG community with? With EQ you HAVE to
    buy the boxed game and can NOT even see what the product does until you
    register it online *WITH A CREDIT CARD*. There is a valid problem
    there. I chose to ignore their existence. They created an entire genre
    of game with that filthy method and they still exist. Though with one
    customer they will never have :) ME.

    McGrandpa

    > <end of quote>
    >
    > from the beginning you have been one of my most active promoters
    > of steam in this group, and let me tell you this, since november
    > 2004 this news about vivendi stop selling valve games is the first
    > major defeat valve had but its not over and i'm sure valve will
    > have many more defeats until they finally end and die
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "James" <jamesspamtrap@mourby.plusspam.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> as for your question please let me answer it
    >> valve, is a developer/publisher of pc games and created
    >> a program/technology called steam, and what steam does is
    >> change everything in pc games
    >> steam changes the way pc games are packaged
    >
    > My Half-Life 2 is packed in a nice DVD case which is sitting on my
    > shelf next to me here, along with the other games that i have bought.
    >
    >> steam changes the way you buy pc games
    >
    > No, i popped along to PC World or Game or wherever it was and bought
    > it in the shop.
    >
    >> steam changes the way you install pc games
    >
    > No, i put the dvd in the drive and click on "Install" and lo ane
    > behold it did!
    >
    >> steam changes the way you play pc games
    >
    > No... i put the dvd in the drive and a screen pops up with a choice
    > of 3 or 4 things. One of which is "Play Half Life 2" i click on that
    > and it plays. Just like..oh.. every other game i have.
    >
    >> steam changes the way you store pc games
    >
    > No, its stored on the hard drive and on a dvd on the shelf like EVERY
    > OTHER game i have.
    >
    >> steam changes the way you patch pc games
    >
    > No, the in-game update system checks for me and updates
    > automatically, ever played Halo, C&C Generals, etc..?
    >
    >> steam changes the way you use and play mods
    >
    > I've not played mods sinve quake3
    >
    >> steam changes the way you sell 2nd hand pc games
    >
    > I dont sell 2nd hand games.

    Thank you James, that was like a breath of fresh air! :)
    McG.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    Blig Merk wrote:
    > Well, it figures. Some unemployed ignoramus from Lisbon, Portugal:
    >
    > TELEPAC - COMUNICACOES INTERACTIVAS SA
    > LISBON, PORTUGAL
    >
    > Let's see. What is coming out of Portugal these days. Great PC games?
    > Don't know of *any*, much less great ones. Computer technology? Nope.
    > Software industry? Nada. Haven't heard of anything coming out of
    > Portugal except for goat cheese and olive oil. Not exactly a hotbed
    > for PC games business. The percentage of pirates probably exceeds the
    > number that actually buy games. Judging by
    > difool/sayNO2steam/steamKiller, they have a shortage of sane people,
    > too. Yeah, Valve really needs to be worried about some Portugee goat
    > herder, a real threat there.

    Wow Lisbon, Portugal sounds a lot like Kennewick, Washington.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "steamKILLER" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > OldDog wrote:
    >
    > <snip the same old valve pro steam propaganda>
    >
    > you are outdated! you have lost! at least acknowledge that!

    I was out of date 20 years ago when I turned 30. ;-)
    And as to lost, nope.

    Steam is still around.
    God save the Steam!

    > what i asked for finally become a reality!

    Reality. It's such a fine line.
    In my mind, I'm the smartest, handsomest, and badasses person on the planet.
    ;-)

    > this is a full quote of a post i made almost 3 months ago!
    > three months ago i asked for what has now been decided, and
    > you can't stand the fact i was right!

    I just called Best Buy, CompUSA, Fry's, and Gamestop stores in my area.
    They all stated that they have HL2 on the shelves and in a box. Did they
    yank the boxes off the shelves in your area?

    BTW didn't you aks for a lot of other things?

    > <start of quote>
    >
    > From: sayNO2steam <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com>
    > Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
    > Subject: We want Steam out of Retail Channel
    > Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005
    >
    > We want Steam out of Retail Channel

    This post isn't from you. Its from that other guy that was an imposter.
    The real sayNO posted twice and put a authentic verfication header in his
    postings with a secret decoder ring.

    <snip>
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    steamKILLER wrote:
    > yes i wanted to buy and play half-life 2, but that could only
    > happen with a steam free version or at least changes made that
    > would take off all the abusive and damaging features
    > [SNIP]
    > yes i wanted to play future valve pc games, but that could
    > only happen if valve would abandon the steam technology or at
    > least make big changes to it
    > [SNIP]
    > bottom line is, we are in a war and steam is finally out from
    > the retail channel were it was doing so much harm and damage
    > lets be happy about it and continue defending pc games
    > we should all pretend valve is dead and cary on buying playing
    > and being pc gamers with no valve
    > nobody in this world is unreplaceable and pc games will survive
    > and prosper without valve!
    > long live pc games!
    > R.I.P. valve

    You and lots of other people want to pay HL2.
    Now the only way they can get it is to download it through Steam; you
    can't go to your retail shop and buy it. You can't even order it online
    from Amazon or Play (for example)
    Gamers will be forced to use Steam.
    And you call this victory?

    > ps: the high number of threads dealing with this subject steam
    > getting out of the retail channel has enough importance and is
    > without any doubt the matter of the moment to justify it

    a) This is a Half-Life newsgroup; of course there will be a lot of
    threads about Half-Life, Valve and Steam.
    b) You started them all.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

    "Chadwick" <chadwick110@hotmail.com> looked up from reading the entrails
    of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >steamKILLER wrote:

    >> ps: the high number of threads dealing with this subject steam
    >> getting out of the retail channel has enough importance and is
    >> without any doubt the matter of the moment to justify it
    >
    >a) This is a Half-Life newsgroup; of course there will be a lot of
    >threads about Half-Life, Valve and Steam.
    >b) You started them all.

    I think he's probably referring to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action, which
    is where i'm reading this nonsense and Steamboy has been dumping his
    insanity for a few months.

    The closest he'll ever get to "killing" steam is taking the kettle off
    the burner.

    Xocyll
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
    <snip>

    > Didn't you promise to go away April 1st?
    >
    > You're not a traitor, but you are now a proven liar.

    Did he finally get 10 people from the minority to speak up and denounce
    Steam?
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action (More info?)

    "Abaccue" <Abc@aaazz.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
    porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
    ><snip>
    >>
    >> Didn't you promise to go away April 1st?
    >>
    >> You're not a traitor, but you are now a proven liar.
    >>

    >Did he finally get 10 people from the minority to speak up and denounce
    >Steam?

    Of course not, he just vanished when he had to pay for his news access.
    Then unfortunately he discovered google.group and spews through them.

    Xocyll

Valve Games Steam IBM Video Games