Wireless Network Does Not work after SP2 Upgrade

I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year. I
upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor could
I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade (from
the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but that
the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the network.
Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard of
problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
users with the same issue. Ideas?
16 answers Last reply
More about wireless network work upgrade

    After installation of SP2 you may have to reconfigure your firewall
    settings, at least that is what I had to do to be able to connect. To
    ensure the problem lies with the firewall I suggest you turn off the WINXP
    frewall via Control Panel/Security and actually remove any other software
    firewall you may have. If you can now connect obviously the problem lies
    with firewall configuration or compatibility. There have been problems
    reported with ZoneAlarm and SP2 but I understand the latest version of
    ZoneAlarm has solved that. I had problems with Sygate but the most recent
    build solved that for me.

    Some may take issue with my suggestion to remove your third party firewall
    but there have been suggestions that simply disabling some third party
    firewalls does not completely 'kill' their functionality (is that a word?
    :-)), YMMV.

    "Ellenann" <Ellenann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year. I
    > upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor
    > could
    > I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade
    > (from
    > the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but
    > that
    > the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
    > setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the
    > network.
    > Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
    > upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
    > support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard
    > of
    > problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
    > users with the same issue. Ideas?

    Hi Edward:

    Thanks for your reply. I did try the suggestion you made. Turned off the SP2
    Firewall and have no other firewall turned on that I know of. I uninstalled
    SP2 on that computer and now the wireless network and internet connection
    works just fine (just like it did before the SP2 install). One thing I saw
    from the Broadband Wireless Utility (used for Microsoft Broadband Wireless
    Network with adapters MN510, MN520 adapters and base station) was that the
    security key had been changed when SP2 was installed. Since the security key
    was no different than the rest of the wireless network the laptop with the
    SP2 installed could not connect to the basestation or enter the network. I
    think that the problem I had may be connected to the change in the security
    key. I tried to check it and change it back to the same as the other systems
    but the Broadband utility showed no security key while the actually attempt
    to connect screen showed a different security key. My thought was that SP2
    had changed the security key. I wonder how to change the security key for the
    network in XP SP2? Ideas?? In the meantime I uninstalled for now till I
    figure this out then will reinstall again. Any help from you or others will
    be most appreciated. Have called Microsoft but the first go around (Level 1
    support) got no where, they didn't even know what I was talking about. mmmmm
    You would think that Microsoft Broadband Wireless Network products (like the
    MN510/520/500 products) would have some knowledge of the types of issues that
    a customer might run into when loading SP2??
    Still trying to figure this out. Anyone? Anyeone?

    "Edward W. Thompson" wrote:

    > After installation of SP2 you may have to reconfigure your firewall
    > settings, at least that is what I had to do to be able to connect. To
    > ensure the problem lies with the firewall I suggest you turn off the WINXP
    > frewall via Control Panel/Security and actually remove any other software
    > firewall you may have. If you can now connect obviously the problem lies
    > with firewall configuration or compatibility. There have been problems
    > reported with ZoneAlarm and SP2 but I understand the latest version of
    > ZoneAlarm has solved that. I had problems with Sygate but the most recent
    > build solved that for me.
    >
    > Some may take issue with my suggestion to remove your third party firewall
    > but there have been suggestions that simply disabling some third party
    > firewalls does not completely 'kill' their functionality (is that a word?
    > :-)), YMMV.
    >

    > "Ellenann" <Ellenann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year. I
    > > upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor
    > > could
    > > I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade
    > > (from
    > > the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but
    > > that
    > > the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
    > > setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the
    > > network.
    > > Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
    > > upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
    > > support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard
    > > of
    > > problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
    > > users with the same issue. Ideas?

    You might try fiddling with the SSID broadcast configuration. SP1
    caused a problem with that back then. If you had it set to not
    broadcast the SSID, as most people did as an alleged security measure,
    your wireless wouldn't work after installing SP1.

    I haven't installed SP2 yet so can't say for sure, but I have heard
    the same thing happens with it as well. So, if your SSIS is not
    broadcasting then turn broadcasting on and see what happens.

    Gene

    "Ellenann" <Ellenann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a
    year. I
    > upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked
    nor could
    > I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the
    upgrade (from
    > the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed
    but that
    > the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the
    security
    > setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the
    network.
    > Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after
    an SP2
    > upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I
    called
    > support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have
    heard of
    > problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are
    other
    > users with the same issue. Ideas?

    Hi Ellenann,
    I am having same trouble with my HP notebook.
    I contacted HP support and they ask me to download new driver
    for my broadcom network card and reinstall the wireless managing
    routine. But it did not help. I am going to contact them again this
    evening but I am putting much hope on this.
    I will let you know if I found anything.
    Good luck.

    -Dan

    "Ellenann" wrote:

> [...]
    > > > upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor
    > > > could
    > > > I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade
    > > > (from
    > > > the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but
    > > > that
    > > > the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
    > > > setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the
    > > > network.
    > > > Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
    > > > upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
    > > > support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard
    > > > of
    > > > problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other

    I have an ASUS A2h with built in Intel 2100 3B Wireless Lan and it appears
    to be having trouble with drivers. I can use a PCMCIA card from D-Link OK
    but not the internal wireless Lan. I have reinstall the internal driever.
    Even deleted and rebooted and then installed the lastest drivers. But still
    no go. All since SP2.

    "Ellenann" <Ellenann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year.
    > upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor
    could
    > I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade
    (from
    > the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but
    that
    > the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
    > setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the
    network.
    > Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
    > upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
    > support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard
    of
    > problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
    > users with the same issue. Ideas?

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 06:59:31 +0100, "Edward W. Thompson"
    <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote:

    >Some may take issue with my suggestion to remove your third party firewall
    >but there have been suggestions that simply disabling some third party
    >firewalls does not completely 'kill' their functionality (is that a word?
    >:-)), YMMV.

    This is what SP2 is about .... all it is is a spyware to monitor
    third-party products.

    On the expense of buggering up your connections / sound etc.

    SP2 is designed to give you give up and BUY the new windows products
    on the pipeline

    Just like how they buggered up win98 with updates so eventually you
    had to buy XP ..

    YES i have the same problem ... with broadband network problem ..
    You are correct with firewalls ( third party products ) but also may
    not work if the router is connected to main machine via network
    cable.. i.e does not recognize your network card .. whatever may be
    (Sis , etc ) ....

    In short microsoft is trying to hold manufacturers to ransom ...we
    ordinary paying customers of microsoft are the stupid ones to believe
    that these updates are to our benefit .....

    By way of popular method of "terrorising " the public , they progress
    to rule unlawfully .. SP2 is supposed to "PROTECT " your computer
    from viruses .. wow .. biggest hackers are working for microsoft ..
    ROFL

    >"Ellenann" <Ellenann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year. I
    >> upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor
    >> could
    >> I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade
    >> (from
    >> the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but
    >> that
    >> the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
    >> setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the
    >> network.
    >> Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
    >> upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
    >> support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard
    >> of
    >> problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
    >> users with the same issue. Ideas?

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Uninstall the Broadband Network Utility completely, you don't need it
    on XP. Use XP's built in Wireless Zero Configuration to configure the
    adapter. If you have a MS base station, you can configure it from a
    ewb browser agt http://192.168.2.1

    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:47:02 -0700, "Ellenann"

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Where can I find the Security area in Control Panel. I looked everywhere

    "Edward W. Thompson" wrote:

    > After installation of SP2 you may have to reconfigure your firewall
    > settings, at least that is what I had to do to be able to connect. To
    > ensure the problem lies with the firewall I suggest you turn off the WINXP
    > frewall via Control Panel/Security and actually remove any other software
    > firewall you may have. If you can now connect obviously the problem lies
    > with firewall configuration or compatibility. There have been problems
    > reported with ZoneAlarm and SP2 but I understand the latest version of
    > ZoneAlarm has solved that. I had problems with Sygate but the most recent
    > build solved that for me.
    >
    > Some may take issue with my suggestion to remove your third party firewall
    > but there have been suggestions that simply disabling some third party
    > firewalls does not completely 'kill' their functionality (is that a word?
    > :-)), YMMV.
    >

    > "Ellenann" <Ellenann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year. I
    > > upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor
    > > could
    > > I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade
    > > (from
    > > the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but
    > > that
    > > the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
    > > setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the
    > > network.
    > > Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
    > > upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
    > > support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard
    > > of
    > > problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
    > > users with the same issue. Ideas?

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Please can you explain step by step how to do this?
    Thanks

    "Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" wrote:

    > Uninstall the Broadband Network Utility completely, you don't need it
    > on XP. Use XP's built in Wireless Zero Configuration to configure the
    > adapter. If you have a MS base station, you can configure it from a
    > ewb browser agt http://192.168.2.1
    >

    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:47:02 -0700, "Ellenann"
    > <Ellenann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year. I
    > >upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor could
    > >I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade (from
    > >the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but that
    > >the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
    > >setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the network.
    > >Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
    > >upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
    > >support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard of
    > >problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
    > >users with the same issue. Ideas?
    >
    > --
    > Barb Bowman
    > Expert Zone Columnist
    > MS-MVP (Windows)

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Control Panel, Add Remove Programs
    then uninstall the Microsoft Broadband Network Utility

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Thanks. I had the same problem (upgrade to XP Pro on HP laptop and Broadcom
    internal wireless card won't work even though PCIA wirless card works) and
    removing the Broadband Network Utility made it work like a charm immediately.

    "Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" wrote:

    > Control Panel, Add Remove Programs
    > then uninstall the Microsoft Broadband Network Utility
    >
    > On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 21:53:05 -0700, "Mario M" <Mario
    > M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Please can you explain step by step how to do this?
    > >Thanks
    > >
    > >"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Uninstall the Broadband Network Utility completely, you don't need it
    > >> on XP. Use XP's built in Wireless Zero Configuration to configure the
    > >> adapter. If you have a MS base station, you can configure it from a
    > >> ewb browser agt http://192.168.2.1

    > >> --
    > >> Barb Bowman
    > >> Expert Zone Columnist
    > >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> MS-MVP (Windows)
    > >>

    > --
    > Barb Bowman
    > Expert Zone Columnist
    > MS-MVP (Windows)

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Dear Barb:

    For now I uninstalled SP2 but would like to follow your advice. Can you
    confirm the following steps and order:

    Uninstall Broadband Network Utility software
    Unplug adapter from laptop ??? should I do this so I can reinstall adapter
    later or leave plugged in?
    Install SP2 upgrade
    Should I leave Firewall ON??
    Use Wireless Zero Configuration to configure adapter (where is this located
    and what are the steps? Will there be a selection listing the ML510 adapter
    I have a MS basestation and use it with my wireless network (it has a built
    in firewall as well). Should this firewall be left on as well as the SP2
    Firewall?
    I am not sure how I will be able to configure the basestation using the ewb
    browser unless I am connected to the internet (and that of course is the
    problem, when I install SP2 I am not connected to the internet (wireless
    mode). Do I need to reconnect to the hardwire cable (not wireless) and reset
    up the the basestation all over again using XP?
    Do I use Control Panel - Network and Internet connections or the new SP SP2
    wireless control menus I noticed in the new install?
    Please note also that the last time I installed SP2 it changed my security
    key for the network and then the laptop could not connect to the internet (as
    it did not match the other networked secuturity keys). Is this a change that
    can only be made using the ewb browser and if so how will I be able to change
    the base station security key if I cannot get onto the internet?
    Ellenann

    "Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" wrote:

    > Uninstall the Broadband Network Utility completely, you don't need it
    > on XP. Use XP's built in Wireless Zero Configuration to configure the
    > adapter. If you have a MS base station, you can configure it from a
    > ewb browser agt http://192.168.2.1
    >

    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:47:02 -0700, "Ellenann"
    > <Ellenann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year. I
    > >upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor could
    > >I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade (from
    > >the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but that
    > >the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
    > >setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the network.
    > >Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
    > >upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
    > >support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard of
    > >problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
    > >users with the same issue. Ideas?
    >
    > --
    > Barb Bowman
    > Expert Zone Columnist
    > MS-MVP (Windows)

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    you do not need to uninstall the adapter and you should leave it
    plugged in.
    you can leave the firewall on
    make sure the wireless zero configuration service is running - start,
    run, services.msc [enter] -- then scroll the list until you find it
    and make sure it is started and set to automatic

    then, start, run ncpa.cpl [enter]
    right click the wireless connection, the properties
    select the wireless tab
    make sure there is a check mark in "Use Windows to configure..."

    click view wireless networks, select yours and click Connect, enter
    the wep key or wpa key there and you should be all set

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 06:19:05 -0700, "Ellenann"

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Hello

    I have a new problem with service pack 2 and wireless connectivity.

    The system was working fine using a NetGear M111 USB wireless stick.
    When I installed service pack 2 it has ceased to work (can not find any
    webpages or access Norton Instant update, also can not find webpages if
    I type in their IP number).

    Unfortunately the "populas" or past fix of unstalling the Microsoft
    broadbacn Utility does not work in my case sicne there is no such
    program to install in my list.... Also I tried to remove the Wireless
    zero configuration but that didnt help either.... Any other ideas?

    Thanks
    Tim

    --
    tdonohue
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    what are you connecting to (router? access point? or adhoc with
    another computer?)

    are you running two software firewalls? the Windows Firewall in SP2
    and Norton? Disable the Windows Firewall.

    Have you checked for new drivers for the Netgear adapter?

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    --
    jaywv7777

Wireless Wireless Network Microsoft Wireless Networking