Wireless Network Does Not work after SP2 Upgrade

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
August 26, 2004 10:47:02 PM

I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year. I
upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor could
I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade (from
the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but that
the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the network.
Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard of
problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
users with the same issue. Ideas?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 27, 2004 10:59:31 AM

After installation of SP2 you may have to reconfigure your firewall
settings, at least that is what I had to do to be able to connect. To
ensure the problem lies with the firewall I suggest you turn off the WINXP
frewall via Control Panel/Security and actually remove any other software
firewall you may have. If you can now connect obviously the problem lies
with firewall configuration or compatibility. There have been problems
reported with ZoneAlarm and SP2 but I understand the latest version of
ZoneAlarm has solved that. I had problems with Sygate but the most recent
build solved that for me.

Some may take issue with my suggestion to remove your third party firewall
but there have been suggestions that simply disabling some third party
firewalls does not completely 'kill' their functionality (is that a word?
:-)), YMMV.

"Ellenann" <Ellenann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year. I
> upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor
> could
> I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade
> (from
> the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but
> that
> the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
> setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the
> network.
> Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
> upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
> support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard
> of
> problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
> users with the same issue. Ideas?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 27, 2004 10:59:32 AM

Hi Edward:

Thanks for your reply. I did try the suggestion you made. Turned off the SP2
Firewall and have no other firewall turned on that I know of. I uninstalled
SP2 on that computer and now the wireless network and internet connection
works just fine (just like it did before the SP2 install). One thing I saw
from the Broadband Wireless Utility (used for Microsoft Broadband Wireless
Network with adapters MN510, MN520 adapters and base station) was that the
security key had been changed when SP2 was installed. Since the security key
was no different than the rest of the wireless network the laptop with the
SP2 installed could not connect to the basestation or enter the network. I
think that the problem I had may be connected to the change in the security
key. I tried to check it and change it back to the same as the other systems
but the Broadband utility showed no security key while the actually attempt
to connect screen showed a different security key. My thought was that SP2
had changed the security key. I wonder how to change the security key for the
network in XP SP2? Ideas?? In the meantime I uninstalled for now till I
figure this out then will reinstall again. Any help from you or others will
be most appreciated. Have called Microsoft but the first go around (Level 1
support) got no where, they didn't even know what I was talking about. mmmmm
You would think that Microsoft Broadband Wireless Network products (like the
MN510/520/500 products) would have some knowledge of the types of issues that
a customer might run into when loading SP2??
Still trying to figure this out. Anyone? Anyeone?

"Edward W. Thompson" wrote:

> After installation of SP2 you may have to reconfigure your firewall
> settings, at least that is what I had to do to be able to connect. To
> ensure the problem lies with the firewall I suggest you turn off the WINXP
> frewall via Control Panel/Security and actually remove any other software
> firewall you may have. If you can now connect obviously the problem lies
> with firewall configuration or compatibility. There have been problems
> reported with ZoneAlarm and SP2 but I understand the latest version of
> ZoneAlarm has solved that. I had problems with Sygate but the most recent
> build solved that for me.
>
> Some may take issue with my suggestion to remove your third party firewall
> but there have been suggestions that simply disabling some third party
> firewalls does not completely 'kill' their functionality (is that a word?
> :-)), YMMV.
>

> "Ellenann" <Ellenann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year. I
> > upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor
> > could
> > I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade
> > (from
> > the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but
> > that
> > the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
> > setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the
> > network.
> > Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
> > upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
> > support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard
> > of
> > problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
> > users with the same issue. Ideas?

Related resources
August 27, 2004 12:44:34 PM

You might try fiddling with the SSID broadcast configuration. SP1
caused a problem with that back then. If you had it set to not
broadcast the SSID, as most people did as an alleged security measure,
your wireless wouldn't work after installing SP1.

I haven't installed SP2 yet so can't say for sure, but I have heard
the same thing happens with it as well. So, if your SSIS is not
broadcasting then turn broadcasting on and see what happens.

Gene

"Ellenann" <Ellenann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a
year. I
> upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked
nor could
> I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the
upgrade (from
> the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed
but that
> the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the
security
> setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the
network.
> Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after
an SP2
> upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I
called
> support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have
heard of
> problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are
other
> users with the same issue. Ideas?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 27, 2004 5:41:05 PM

Hi Ellenann,
I am having same trouble with my HP notebook.
I contacted HP support and they ask me to download new driver
for my broadcom network card and reinstall the wireless managing
routine. But it did not help. I am going to contact them again this
evening but I am putting much hope on this.
I will let you know if I found anything.
Good luck.

-Dan

"Ellenann" wrote:

> [...]
> > > upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor
> > > could
> > > I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade
> > > (from
> > > the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but
> > > that
> > > the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
> > > setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the
> > > network.
> > > Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
> > > upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
> > > support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard
> > > of
> > > problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other

August 27, 2004 7:16:11 PM

I have an ASUS A2h with built in Intel 2100 3B Wireless Lan and it appears
to be having trouble with drivers. I can use a PCMCIA card from D-Link OK
but not the internal wireless Lan. I have reinstall the internal driever.
Even deleted and rebooted and then installed the lastest drivers. But still
no go. All since SP2.

"Ellenann" <Ellenann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year.
> upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor
could
> I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade
(from
> the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but
that
> the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
> setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the
network.
> Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
> upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
> support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard
of
> problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
> users with the same issue. Ideas?
August 27, 2004 7:56:57 PM

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 06:59:31 +0100, "Edward W. Thompson"
<thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>Some may take issue with my suggestion to remove your third party firewall
>but there have been suggestions that simply disabling some third party
>firewalls does not completely 'kill' their functionality (is that a word?
>:-)), YMMV.

This is what SP2 is about .... all it is is a spyware to monitor
third-party products.

On the expense of buggering up your connections / sound etc.

SP2 is designed to give you give up and BUY the new windows products
on the pipeline

Just like how they buggered up win98 with updates so eventually you
had to buy XP ..

YES i have the same problem ... with broadband network problem ..
You are correct with firewalls ( third party products ) but also may
not work if the router is connected to main machine via network
cable.. i.e does not recognize your network card .. whatever may be
(Sis , etc ) ....

In short microsoft is trying to hold manufacturers to ransom ...we
ordinary paying customers of microsoft are the stupid ones to believe
that these updates are to our benefit .....

By way of popular method of "terrorising " the public , they progress
to rule unlawfully .. SP2 is supposed to "PROTECT " your computer
from viruses .. wow .. biggest hackers are working for microsoft ..
ROFL

>"Ellenann" <Ellenann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year. I
>> upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor
>> could
>> I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade
>> (from
>> the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but
>> that
>> the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
>> setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the
>> network.
>> Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
>> upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
>> support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard
>> of
>> problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
>> users with the same issue. Ideas?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 27, 2004 8:12:02 PM

Uninstall the Broadband Network Utility completely, you don't need it
on XP. Use XP's built in Wireless Zero Configuration to configure the
adapter. If you have a MS base station, you can configure it from a
ewb browser agt http://192.168.2.1

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:47:02 -0700, "Ellenann"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Where can I find the Security area in Control Panel. I looked everywhere

"Edward W. Thompson" wrote:

> After installation of SP2 you may have to reconfigure your firewall
> settings, at least that is what I had to do to be able to connect. To
> ensure the problem lies with the firewall I suggest you turn off the WINXP
> frewall via Control Panel/Security and actually remove any other software
> firewall you may have. If you can now connect obviously the problem lies
> with firewall configuration or compatibility. There have been problems
> reported with ZoneAlarm and SP2 but I understand the latest version of
> ZoneAlarm has solved that. I had problems with Sygate but the most recent
> build solved that for me.
>
> Some may take issue with my suggestion to remove your third party firewall
> but there have been suggestions that simply disabling some third party
> firewalls does not completely 'kill' their functionality (is that a word?
> :-)), YMMV.
>

> "Ellenann" <Ellenann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year. I
> > upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor
> > could
> > I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade
> > (from
> > the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but
> > that
> > the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
> > setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the
> > network.
> > Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
> > upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
> > support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard
> > of
> > problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
> > users with the same issue. Ideas?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2004 1:53:05 AM

Please can you explain step by step how to do this?
Thanks

"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" wrote:

> Uninstall the Broadband Network Utility completely, you don't need it
> on XP. Use XP's built in Wireless Zero Configuration to configure the
> adapter. If you have a MS base station, you can configure it from a
> ewb browser agt http://192.168.2.1
>

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:47:02 -0700, "Ellenann"
> <Ellenann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year. I
> >upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor could
> >I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade (from
> >the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but that
> >the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
> >setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the network.
> >Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
> >upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
> >support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard of
> >problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
> >users with the same issue. Ideas?
>
> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 28, 2004 10:52:14 AM

Control Panel, Add Remove Programs
then uninstall the Microsoft Broadband Network Utility

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Thanks. I had the same problem (upgrade to XP Pro on HP laptop and Broadcom
internal wireless card won't work even though PCIA wirless card works) and
removing the Broadband Network Utility made it work like a charm immediately.

"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" wrote:

> Control Panel, Add Remove Programs
> then uninstall the Microsoft Broadband Network Utility
>
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 21:53:05 -0700, "Mario M" <Mario
> M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Please can you explain step by step how to do this?
> >Thanks
> >
> >"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" wrote:
> >
> >> Uninstall the Broadband Network Utility completely, you don't need it
> >> on XP. Use XP's built in Wireless Zero Configuration to configure the
> >> adapter. If you have a MS base station, you can configure it from a
> >> ewb browser agt http://192.168.2.1

> >> --
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> Expert Zone Columnist
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> MS-MVP (Windows)
> >>

> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 30, 2004 10:19:05 AM

Dear Barb:

For now I uninstalled SP2 but would like to follow your advice. Can you
confirm the following steps and order:

Uninstall Broadband Network Utility software
Unplug adapter from laptop ??? should I do this so I can reinstall adapter
later or leave plugged in?
Install SP2 upgrade
Should I leave Firewall ON??
Use Wireless Zero Configuration to configure adapter (where is this located
and what are the steps? Will there be a selection listing the ML510 adapter
I have a MS basestation and use it with my wireless network (it has a built
in firewall as well). Should this firewall be left on as well as the SP2
Firewall?
I am not sure how I will be able to configure the basestation using the ewb
browser unless I am connected to the internet (and that of course is the
problem, when I install SP2 I am not connected to the internet (wireless
mode). Do I need to reconnect to the hardwire cable (not wireless) and reset
up the the basestation all over again using XP?
Do I use Control Panel - Network and Internet connections or the new SP SP2
wireless control menus I noticed in the new install?
Please note also that the last time I installed SP2 it changed my security
key for the network and then the laptop could not connect to the internet (as
it did not match the other networked secuturity keys). Is this a change that
can only be made using the ewb browser and if so how will I be able to change
the base station security key if I cannot get onto the internet?
Ellenann

"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" wrote:

> Uninstall the Broadband Network Utility completely, you don't need it
> on XP. Use XP's built in Wireless Zero Configuration to configure the
> adapter. If you have a MS base station, you can configure it from a
> ewb browser agt http://192.168.2.1
>

> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:47:02 -0700, "Ellenann"
> <Ellenann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have been running a Wi-Fi network on a home network OK for over a year. I
> >upgraded my labtop to SP2 and the wireless network no longer worked nor could
> >I use the internet after the upgrade. I can see that after the upgrade (from
> >the Broadband Wireless Utility that the correct adapter is installed but that
> >the security setting has been changed by the upgrade and that the security
> >setting is now different than that used for all other systems on the network.
> >Has anyone had problems with their Microsoft Wireless network after an SP2
> >upgrade. I uninstalled SP2 and the network again worked fine. I called
> >support and no one in the Broadband Level 1 support seemed to have heard of
> >problems like this but it seems from other postings that there are other
> >users with the same issue. Ideas?
>
> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 30, 2004 7:54:35 PM

you do not need to uninstall the adapter and you should leave it
plugged in.
you can leave the firewall on
make sure the wireless zero configuration service is running - start,
run, services.msc [enter] -- then scroll the list until you find it
and make sure it is started and set to automatic

then, start, run ncpa.cpl [enter]
right click the wireless connection, the properties
select the wireless tab
make sure there is a check mark in "Use Windows to configure..."

click view wireless networks, select yours and click Connect, enter
the wep key or wpa key there and you should be all set

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 06:19:05 -0700, "Ellenann"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Hello

I have a new problem with service pack 2 and wireless connectivity.

The system was working fine using a NetGear M111 USB wireless stick.
When I installed service pack 2 it has ceased to work (can not find any
webpages or access Norton Instant update, also can not find webpages if
I type in their IP number).

Unfortunately the "populas" or past fix of unstalling the Microsoft
broadbacn Utility does not work in my case sicne there is no such
program to install in my list.... Also I tried to remove the Wireless
zero configuration but that didnt help either.... Any other ideas?

Thanks
Tim

--
tdonohue
a b F Wireless

what are you connecting to (router? access point? or adhoc with
another computer?)

are you running two software firewalls? the Windows Firewall in SP2
and Norton? Disable the Windows Firewall.

Have you checked for new drivers for the Netgear adapter?

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

--