Slow Raptor?

I ran HD Tach version 2.70 on my WD 75GB Raptor, results is:
Maximum read speed - 73.2 MB/s
Minimum read speed - 41.8 MB/s
Average read speed - 64.7 MB/s

Is this typical for a 75GB Raptor?

Oldspook
13 answers Last reply
More about slow raptor

    Oldspook wrote:

    > I ran HD Tach version 2.70 on my WD 75GB Raptor, results is:
    > Maximum read speed - 73.2 MB/s
    > Minimum read speed - 41.8 MB/s
    > Average read speed - 64.7 MB/s
    >
    > Is this typical for a 75GB Raptor?

    It's rated at 72 MB/sec sustained transfer, which is normally for the
    outermost zone, so yeah, it looks typical.

    What were you _expecting_?

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    Previously Oldspook <oldspooknospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > I ran HD Tach version 2.70 on my WD 75GB Raptor, results is:
    > Maximum read speed - 73.2 MB/s
    > Minimum read speed - 41.8 MB/s
    > Average read speed - 64.7 MB/s

    > Is this typical for a 75GB Raptor?

    I don;t have a raptor, but scaling 7200 RPM numbers up to
    10.000 RPM suggests there are plausible. After all 10.000 RPM
    is just about 38% more than 7200 RPM

    And why do you think the above numbers are "slow"? They are
    definitely not, unless this was a really fast disk, i.e.
    a 15.000 RPM SCSI disk. The Raptors are high end consumer
    grade, but not the fastest disks money can buy.

    Arno

    "Oldspook" <oldspooknospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I ran HD Tach version 2.70 on my WD 75GB Raptor, results is:
    > Maximum read speed - 73.2 MB/s
    > Minimum read speed - 41.8 MB/s
    > Average read speed - 64.7 MB/s
    >
    > Is this typical for a 75GB Raptor?
    >
    > Oldspook

    Did you expect the "150 MB/s" claimed by either the SATA interface or the
    drive? Years ago when they started selling UATA 66 hard drives I was quite
    disappointed to find that my fancy new IBM Deskstar could only transfer
    ~22MB/s-the exact same speed before installing the promise card/80 wire
    cable and enabling the drives faster rate. Both the drive and the promise
    contoller proudly claimed 66MB/s but I didn't realize that there wasn't an
    IDE drive in existance that could go that fast, the claimed transfer speeds
    are for the interface only which means quite little when there isn't a drive
    that can output data at those rates. Everytime I see a drive labeled with
    specs like 133MB/s or 150MB/s I feel a little bit angered at the marketing.

    41-73 MB/s is pretty damn fast.

    --Dan

    > > I ran HD Tach version 2.70 on my WD 75GB Raptor, results is:
    > > Maximum read speed - 73.2 MB/s
    > > Minimum read speed - 41.8 MB/s
    > > Average read speed - 64.7 MB/s

    > that can output data at those rates. Everytime I see a drive labeled with
    > specs like 133MB/s or 150MB/s I feel a little bit angered at the
    marketing.

    > 41-73 MB/s is pretty damn fast.

    Which is why all of the SATA marketing hype is just that, hype. Other than
    providing the little round cables, SATA controllers offer nothing whatsoever
    over PATA controllers because even the fastest drives available can't
    overload the PATA interface... yet.

    Oldspook wrote:
    > I ran HD Tach version 2.70 on my WD 75GB Raptor, results is:
    > Maximum read speed - 73.2 MB/s
    > Minimum read speed - 41.8 MB/s
    > Average read speed - 64.7 MB/s
    >
    > Is this typical for a 75GB Raptor?
    >
    > Oldspook

    If the HDtach graph shows 72-73 MB/s for on the left and 52-53 MB/s on the
    right, with a few dips to <45 MB/s, then that is as it should be. 70+ MB/s
    is for the outermost band, 50+ MB/s is for the innermost band, and the dips
    probably correspond to either an area where a bad sector forced a seek to
    a replacement sector, or where some other app stole some CPU time from
    HDtach. If the dips in the graph are repeatable, then I'd bet on sector
    replacement as the cause; else, the CPU time thief.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    "Oldspook" <oldspooknospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I ran HD Tach version 2.70 on my WD 75GB Raptor, results is:
    > Maximum read speed - 73.2 MB/s
    > Minimum read speed - 41.8 MB/s
    > Average read speed - 64.7 MB/s
    >
    > Is this typical for a 75GB Raptor?
    >
    > Oldspook

    I don't have a Raptor, but your post made me run HDTach on my WD800JB. Was
    rather surprised to see a flat transfer rate graph at 15MB/s! Seems when I
    defaulted my BIOS settings recently the onboard controller was set to PIO.
    The really interesting thing was I hadn't noticed it in several days of use!

    --
    Derek

    Chuck U. Farley wrote:

    >> > I ran HD Tach version 2.70 on my WD 75GB Raptor, results is:
    >> > Maximum read speed - 73.2 MB/s
    >> > Minimum read speed - 41.8 MB/s
    >> > Average read speed - 64.7 MB/s
    >
    >> that can output data at those rates. Everytime I see a drive labeled
    >> with specs like 133MB/s or 150MB/s I feel a little bit angered at the
    > marketing.
    >>
    >> 41-73 MB/s is pretty damn fast.
    >
    > Which is why all of the SATA marketing hype is just that, hype. Other than
    > providing the little round cables, SATA controllers offer nothing
    > whatsoever over PATA controllers

    Except hot-plug.

    "Chuck U. Farley" <chuckufarleynot@dyslexia.com> wrote in message news:gjnUd.24332$hd6.21945@bignews1.bellsouth.net
    > > > I ran HD Tach version 2.70 on my WD 75GB Raptor, results is:
    > > > Maximum read speed - 73.2 MB/s
    > > > Minimum read speed - 41.8 MB/s
    > > > Average read speed - 64.7 MB/s
    >
    > > that can output data at those rates. Everytime I see a drive labeled with
    > > specs like 133MB/s or 150MB/s I feel a little bit angered at the marketing.
    > >
    > > 41-73 MB/s is pretty damn fast.
    >
    > Which is why all of the SATA marketing hype is just that, hype.

    Still as clueless as ever.

    > Other than
    > providing the little round cables, SATA controllers offer nothing whatsoever
    > over PATA controllers because even the fastest drives available can't
    > overload the PATA interface... yet.

    SATA arrays can.

    "Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message news:KsudnSiqHbWzdLzfRVnytw@eclipse.net.uk
    > "Oldspook" <oldspooknospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:yaGdnQLQhfjHs7zfRVn-ow@giganews.com...
    > > I ran HD Tach version 2.70 on my WD 75GB Raptor, results is:
    > > Maximum read speed - 73.2 MB/s
    > > Minimum read speed - 41.8 MB/s
    > > Average read speed - 64.7 MB/s
    > >
    > > Is this typical for a 75GB Raptor?
    > >
    > > Oldspook
    > >

    > I don't have a Raptor, but your post made me run HDTach on my WD800JB. Was
    > rather surprised to see a flat transfer rate graph at 15MB/s! Seems when I
    > defaulted my BIOS settings recently the onboard controller was set to PIO.

    PIO can't manage 15MB/s.
    Must have been MW-DMA2 which is the same clockrate as PIO4.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pio

    --
    Derek

    "Derek Baker" <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message news:StGdnZ5vRug5Ob7fRVnysQ@eclipse.net.uk
    > "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message news:38hih0F5m85usU2@individual.net...

    > > > I don't have a Raptor, but your post made me run HDTach on my WD800JB.
    > > > Was
    > > > rather surprised to see a flat transfer rate graph at 15MB/s! Seems when
    > > > defaulted my BIOS settings recently the onboard controller was set to
    > > > PIO.
    > >
    > > PIO can't manage 15MB/s.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pio

    Yes, and?