file downloads

Tags:
Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
February 26, 2005 11:25:52 PM

I manage a lan connected computer in my apt complex, it has windows 98
for an os.
we have people who contimnuously download files after being told not
to, is there a way to allow them internet access and still block all
downloads to the hd?
thanks

More about : file downloads

Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 27, 2005 6:36:24 PM

peaceful444 wrote:

> I manage a lan connected computer in my apt complex, it has windows 98
> for an os.
> we have people who contimnuously download files after being told not
> to, is there a way to allow them internet access and still block all
> downloads to the hd?
> thanks

How about a large sign, saying "File downloads - 10 cents per KB."
Then let them download what they want and bill 'em?
--
Cheers, Bob
Anonymous

It would be much easier with XP. You could setup a user that had no access
to the drives and no ability to install software. Yeah, MUCH easier to take
care of when the PC is running XP.

--Dan

"peaceful444" <nolandb@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I manage a lan connected computer in my apt complex, it has windows 98
> for an os.
> we have people who contimnuously download files after being told not
> to, is there a way to allow them internet access and still block all
> downloads to the hd?
> thanks

a b G Storage
March 2, 2005 4:03:35 PM

"peaceful444" <nolandb@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I manage a lan connected computer in my apt complex, it has windows 98
> for an os.

You can't "manage" a network based on Win98 as it isn't hierarchal. You need
NT networking

> we have people who contimnuously download files after being told not
> to, is there a way to allow them internet access and still block all
> downloads to the hd?

You can block the ports used by the protocols you want to limit, for the
computers you want to limit. It's called a firewall.

Regards
--
NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities

Zvi Netiv <support@replace_with_domain.com> wrote in message
> peaceful444 <nolandb@hotmail.com> wrote

>> I manage a lan connected computer in my
>> apt complex, it has windows 98 for an os.

> You can't "manage" a network based on Win98

Bullshit.

> as it isn't hierarchal. You need NT networking

Nope, that just allows more/better management.

>> we have people who contimnuously download files
>> after being told not to, is there a way to allow them
>> internet access and still block all downloads to the hd?

> You can block the ports used by the protocols you want to
> limit, for the computers you want to limit. It's called a firewall.

Useless for what he wants to do.
!