Buying my first digital camera.

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 2, 2004 12:03:31 AM

Hi

I'm new here. I'd like to use it for stills to show
on my webpage. The store has Compact Flash,
Secure Digital, Memory Stick and XD. What do
I need?

I have PhotoShop and Gimp on Win2K Pro SP4,
with a dialup connection.

Thanks in advance,
Alan
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

More about : buying digital camera

Anonymous
September 2, 2004 12:12:10 PM

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 20:03:31 -0400, "Alan Illeman"
<illemann@surfbest.net> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I'm new here. I'd like to use it for stills to show
>on my webpage. The store has Compact Flash,
>Secure Digital, Memory Stick and XD. What do
>I need?

It depends on what your camera uses.
I presume you mean what format to use with your camera.
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 10:10:29 PM

"John@Smith.com" <xxxxspud@newscene.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 20:03:31 -0400, "Alan Illeman"
> <illemann@surfbest.net> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >I'm new here. I'd like to use it for stills to show
> >on my webpage. The store has Compact Flash,
> >Secure Digital, Memory Stick and XD. What do
> >I need?
>
> It depends on what your camera uses.
> I presume you mean what format to use with your camera.

I don't have a camera - yet, and certainly I don't know what
the pros and cons of these 4 memory modules (if that's
what they are) are. Does this ng have a FAQ?

Thanks,
Alan
September 3, 2004 5:55:32 AM

"Alan Illeman" <illemann@surfbest.net> writes:
> "John@Smith.com" <xxxxspud@newscene.com> wrote in message
>> "Alan Illeman" <illemann@surfbest.net> wrote:

>>> I'm new here. I'd like to use it for stills to show
>>> on my webpage.

If /all/ you want is to make stills for a webpage, you don't need much
of a digital camera. A 1 Mpx model will do nicely. Actually, they
don't make them that small anymore - so your best bet is probably
to pick up a used model from the previous century (1999) at eBay.
Don't pay much!

If you want something a bit more versatile (e.g to also make postcard
sized prints of acceptable quality), you should move up to 3 Mpx and
beyond. The best on-line resource for low-end consumer cameras is
Steve's Digicams ( http://www.steves-digicams.com/ ). There you'll
find reviews, comparions and overviews organized according to
number of Mpx.

>>> The store has Compact Flash, Secure Digital, Memory Stick and
>>> XD. What do I need?

>> It depends on what your camera uses.
>> I presume you mean what format to use with your camera.

> I don't have a camera - yet, and certainly I don't know what the
> pros and cons of these 4 memory modules (if that's what they are)
> are.

I would not recommend that you base your choice of camera on what type
of memory device it is compatible with, but here is, for what its
worth, a brief introduction to the wonderful world digital memory
devices:

- Compact Flash: Exists at a number of different speeds, qualities and
sizes from a number of different manufacturers (and even more
brands). IMHO CF offer widest choice and best value for money.
Dominates the high-end of the market, and will probably continue
to do so.

- Micro Drive: Cheap for high capacity. Their downside are that
they tend to be less reliable than solid state devices. Are
now being ecplised by CF at the higher end of the market.

- Secure Digital: Targeted towards the consumer market, and compatible
with various devices (Digicams, PDAs, cellphones, Mp3-players).
OK for the moment. but a maxiumum capacity of 512 MB may very well
make it pretty obsolete as consumer cameras move beyond 8 Mpx - but
it is a fine format for any camera of 6 Mpx and below,

- Memory stick: Proprietary format from Sony. If you want a paricular
Sony camera, you will have to use Memory Stick. Otherwise - avoid.

- Smart Media: Dying technology with limited capacity - avoid.

- XD: Developed by Fuji and Olympus as a replacement for Smart
Media. A relatively new format. It's main selling point is
its minute size. To early to tell whether it will last.

> Does this ng have a FAQ?

No.

September 3, 2004 7:38:11 AM

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 18:10:29 -0400, "Alan Illeman"
<illemann@surfbest.net> wrote:

>"John@Smith.com" <xxxxspud@newscene.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 20:03:31 -0400, "Alan Illeman"
>> <illemann@surfbest.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi
>> >
>> >I'm new here. I'd like to use it for stills to show
>> >on my webpage. The store has Compact Flash,
>> >Secure Digital, Memory Stick and XD. What do
>> >I need?
>>
>> It depends on what your camera uses.
>> I presume you mean what format to use with your camera.
>
>I don't have a camera - yet, and certainly I don't know what
>the pros and cons of these 4 memory modules (if that's
>what they are) are. Does this ng have a FAQ?

Well you usually buy the camera and then depending on what the camera
uses , you buy the storage type - not the other way around. You look
at the features, performance, reputation for durability and price of
the camera and then just buy whatever the camera uses.

The only reason people would do it the other way around and its still
rare - is if you have a bunch of a certain type of storage leftover
for some reason and want to reuse it though most would probably sell
it off. Or maybe you live in some region that gets compact flash super
cheap and other types are hard to find or super expensive but you can
order anything over the net and get it everywhere in the US , except
maybe Alaska .

I dont think theres any big advantage to any of the storage types
except that Compact flash and even SD has gotten super cheap nowadays
with numerous incredibly cheap rebate deals. A little while ago SD
cards were new and fairly expensive compared to CF and Smart Media.
The problem with Smart Media is they phased them out for camera use
because they couldnt or wouldnt make anything larger than 128 megs in
that format for some reason. , Smart media is only an issue I think
if you buy a used camera or older camera - I have an OLY 4040 that
uses it. If there is a generic cheapo camera thats advertised that
still uses smart media then you have to be aware of that limitation.

So CF is probably the cheapest in general , with SD really falling in
price the last 6 months - Ive seen some mindbogglingly cheapo deals on
SD too. Very annoying cause I used to have an SD card camera when it
was expensive but now I dont have it.

XD cards are being featured in some rebate deals too and clearance
sales but like SD was a while ago - its probably the most expensive
card , annoyingly so. With the drastically discounted rebate deals it
drops from ridiculous price levels to reasonable but not dirt cheap
like CF and SD.

Memory Stick - I havent really checked on it because my impression was
that it was always a Sony thing. If you buy a Sony camera you buy a
memory stick. I think its fallen in price too recently so its not as
expensive as it once was but still far more expensive than CF and SD
though I maybe wrong.

The camera is the thing not the storage format. However it is annoying
to pay more for XD and memory sticks if they are as expensive as I
think they are.

Theres lots of $100-200 cameras now that are even name brand and 3
megs. I think I saw a new Fuji 3 meg with 3x optical for $140 or
around there. Some comments are dumb. Almost all cameras come with
either a puny mem card , or no mem card - just ot test the camera. You
need to buy at least one of them. And usually rechargeable batteries
(they last way longer than disposable batteries) and a charger -
though some come with those items, but its usually the more expensive
cameras.

And a case. Most come with a real cheap cover , though some dont come
with anything . Its best to buy some case . They are around $8-20 at
Compusa or many other stores and go up from there.

canon a300 $109 at amazon ( 3 megs but no OPTICAL ZOOM)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008OE4...

Fuji a330 $145 3 megs and 3x optical
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001D56S...

Kodak 3 meg no optical zoom 119

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001DJSY...

Go here for reviews
http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
http://www.imaging-resource.com/MEGAPIXEL.HTM
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 12:47:51 AM

> [...]
> to pay more for XD and memory sticks if they are as expensive as I
> think they are.
>
> Theres lots of $100-200 cameras now that are even name brand and 3
> megs. I think I saw a new Fuji 3 meg with 3x optical for $140 or
> around there. Some comments are dumb. Almost all cameras come with
> either a puny mem card , or no mem card - just ot test the camera. You
> need to buy at least one of them. And usually rechargeable batteries
> (they last way longer than disposable batteries) and a charger -
> though some come with those items, but its usually the more expensive
> cameras.
>
> And a case. Most come with a real cheap cover , though some dont come
> with anything . Its best to buy some case . They are around $8-20 at
> Compusa or many other stores and go up from there.
>
> canon a300 $109 at amazon ( 3 megs but no OPTICAL ZOOM)

2194946-7417716?v=glance&s=photo&n=507846

> Fuji a330 $145 3 megs and 3x optical

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001D56S...
-5/ref=pd_ka_5/102-2194946-7417716?v=glance&s=photo&n=507846

> Kodak 3 meg no optical zoom 119

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001DJSY...
194946-7417716?v=glance&s=photo&n=507846&vi=tech-data

> Go here for reviews
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
> http://www.imaging-resource.com/MEGAPIXEL.HTM

Thanks John, I appreciate that. Thanks also to Gisle.
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 2:53:19 AM

Gisle Hannemyr <gisle+njus@ifi.uio.no> in

>"Alan Illeman" <illemann@surfbest.net> writes:

> If /all/ you want is to make stills for a webpage, you don't need much
> of a digital camera. A 1 Mpx model will do nicely. Actually, they
> don't make them that small anymore - so your best bet is probably
> to pick up a used model from the previous century (1999) at eBay.
> Don't pay much!

any older than 2 years wil have annoying limitatoins.
lag or whatever

older reviews may extol features or performance that are pitiful
compared to current digicams.

> If you want something a bit more versatile (e.g to also make postcard
> sized prints of acceptable quality), you should move up to 3 Mpx and
> beyond. The best on-line resource for low-end consumer cameras is
> Steve's Digicams ( http://www.steves-digicams.com/ ). There you'll
> find reviews, comparions and overviews organized according to
> number of Mpx.

is he still updating the low mp section?

i prefer dcresource
criterai i'd examine:
photo quality, distortion.
autofocus light assist. else AF won't work in low light.

SELECTING
if you like manual controls (ala 35mm slrs), give up on low price
digicams. they don't do macros (without adapters, etc)

on dcresource reviews, scroll down to summaries "like" dislike". don't
waste 1/4 of your lifetime looking for 'the best', just buy one.

check for recent reliabilty surveys, but in surveys circa 2002, i think
canon and olympia were best, fuji was about as good. i think there was
anohter brand that was good.

avoid argus, dell, and any weirdoid brand fry's sells.

BUYING:
buy from a store that handles returns decently. as soon as you buy your
camera, try all the features as quickly as possible. take the camera
back if it runs thru batteries too fast or teh photo quality is way bad.
even good brands produce some lemons.

included software is often marginal in usefulness or worse. but
cardreaders are not convneniet as the transfer cable (IME), so install
the twain/wia drivers, at least.

-----

all of the digital snapshot cameras are too small, so use a cheap tripod
as an "handle".

i've seen kodak and fuji 2mp, 3x optical for $80-100. these migth have
been online prices.

cf = compactflash is all around best. but maybe only $10 less than other
media

!