RAID0 tutorial for newbies

Hello, All!

Is there a highly thought of site that discusses RAID0 setup (do's/don'ts,
etc.) for newbies like me?

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

More about raid0 tutorial newbies

    Previously Colonel Blip <colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com> wrote:
    > Hello, All!

    > Is there a highly thought of site that discusses RAID0 setup (do's/don'ts,
    > etc.) for newbies like me?

    My personal advice: Don't use RAID 0 unless you are prepared to
    loose the array.

    That said, thest the block-size with your actual usage pattern and
    tune it to maximum performance. Depending on the set-up different
    block-sizes (sometimes called stripe-sizes) will give different
    speeds. Also make sure to tune the filessytem to the block-size if
    possible, although that is less important.

    Before you do all this, think about what you actually want and
    whether RAID ) will/can give that to you.

    How the tunig works in detail and whether it is possible
    depends on many factors, among them the OS and filesystem used
    and the access pattern.

    For Linux the RAID HOWTOs are a good place to look.

    Arno

    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/levels/

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Colonel Blip" <colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    > Hello, All!
    >
    > Is there a highly thought of site that discusses RAID0 setup (do's/don'ts,
    > etc.) for newbies like me?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Colonel Blip.
    > E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

    News==----
    Newsgroups
    =----

    Thanks folks for the leads.

    "Colonel Blip" <colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com> wrote in message
    > Hello, All!
    >
    > Is there a highly thought of site that discusses RAID0 setup (do's/don'ts,
    > etc.) for newbies like me?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Colonel Blip.
    > E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

    > News==----
    > Newsgroups
    > =----
    Colonel,

    All we have around here are RAID 0 arrays. Some are 4 years old. We use SATA
    and PATA. No problems with any of them!!
    I do not recall a good discussion beyond what you already know. I guess that
    every system is a little different so it is difficult to do a cook book
    discussion.

    Remember that these arrays are set-up by you and the BIOS. Once the array is
    installed it looks like a new drive and has to fdisk'ed and formatted and
    partitioned if want more than one partition.

    Installing Windows XP on an array is the easiest.

    This is a good place to ask specific questions.

    JPS

    Hello, jpsga!
    You wrote on Wed, 2 Mar 2005 23:56:33 -0500:

    j> "Colonel Blip" <colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com> wrote in message
    j> news:4224e01e$1_2@127.0.0.1...
    ??>> Hello, All!
    j> Colonel,

    j> All we have around here are RAID 0 arrays. Some are 4 years old. We use
    j> SATA and PATA. No problems with any of them!!
    j> I do not recall a good discussion beyond what you already know. I guess
    j> that every system is a little different so it is difficult to do a cook
    j> book discussion.

    j> Remember that these arrays are set-up by you and the BIOS. Once the
    j> array is installed it looks like a new drive and has to fdisk'ed and
    j> formatted and partitioned if want more than one partition.

    j> Installing Windows XP on an array is the easiest.

    j> This is a good place to ask specific questions.

    j> JPS

    I'm closing (ever so slowly <g>) on a decision.

    "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:38ke2kF5q2hbpU1@individual.net
    > Previously Colonel Blip <colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com> wrote:
    > > Hello, All!
    >
    > > Is there a highly thought of site that discusses RAID0 setup (do's/don'ts,
    > > etc.) for newbies like me?
    >
    > My personal advice: Don't use RAID 0 unless you are prepared to
    > loose the array.

    Yup, better not use harddrives at all unless you are prepared to
    loose the data.

    > That said, thest the block-size with your actual usage pattern and
    > tune it to maximum performance. Depending on the set-up different
    > block-sizes (sometimes called stripe-sizes) will give different speeds.
    > Also make sure to tune the filessytem to the block-size if possible,
    > although that is less important.
    >
    > Before you do all this, think about what you actually want and
    > whether RAID ) will/can give that to you.
    >
    > How the tunig works in detail and whether it is possible depends on
    > many factors, among them the OS and filesystem used and the access
    > pattern.
    >
    > For Linux the RAID HOWTOs are a good place to look.
    >
    > Arno

Tutorial Storage