Video Capture Device Not Detected

August 29, 2004 11:13:47 PM

When trying to download my video's from a Panasonic PV-
GS15 digital camcorder to MovieMaker, I get the error
message "A video capture device was not detected. Verify
that a device is turned on and connected properly, and
then try again". I've tried several different ways to
get this to work, including the way it states in the
manual. Nothing works. I've tried both firewire and usb
connections. Is this an issue with XP or is it a vendor
driver issue?
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 2:54:19 PM

Firewire would be the standard way to connect.

When you connect the camcorder to the PC via the firewire cable:

a) Ensure the camcorder is connected to an A/C power supply and NOT
supplied by its own battery.

b) Ensure the camcorder is turned ON and in VCR mode.

Do you hear the connection 'ding' sound? If not, and both a) and b) above
are true, try changing the firewire cable.
www.coribright.com

"Jerry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When trying to download my video's from a Panasonic PV-
> GS15 digital camcorder to MovieMaker, I get the error
> message "A video capture device was not detected. Verify
> that a device is turned on and connected properly, and
> then try again". I've tried several different ways to
> get this to work, including the way it states in the
> manual. Nothing works. I've tried both firewire and usb
> connections. Is this an issue with XP or is it a vendor
> driver issue?
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 11:11:02 PM

Also check there are no conflicts in device manager for the ieee1394 bus
host controller listing. Poor quality cables are a big problem though, so as
Cari says check this, helpful if you have a friend who can capture with
their equipment.
Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

news:o 0hRRprjEHA.592@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Firewire would be the standard way to connect.
>
> When you connect the camcorder to the PC via the firewire cable:
>
> a) Ensure the camcorder is connected to an A/C power supply and NOT
> supplied by its own battery.
>
> b) Ensure the camcorder is turned ON and in VCR mode.
>
> Do you hear the connection 'ding' sound? If not, and both a) and b) above
> are true, try changing the firewire cable.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Jerry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When trying to download my video's from a Panasonic PV-
> > GS15 digital camcorder to MovieMaker, I get the error
> > message "A video capture device was not detected. Verify
> > that a device is turned on and connected properly, and
> > then try again". I've tried several different ways to
> > get this to work, including the way it states in the
> > manual. Nothing works. I've tried both firewire and usb
> > connections. Is this an issue with XP or is it a vendor
> > driver issue?

September 14, 2004 11:07:13 PM

I am having the same problem, I have reinstalled VideoWave and have decided
that I'll get my computer expert out to look at it. I'll let you know.

!