Closed

Nvidia and ATI video cards not working

I have tried several video cards on my computer (running XP Pro). I first
tried a Radeon VE (AGP) and then an Nvidia GeForce 4 MX4000 PCI card. I have
the same problem with both. The drivers say they install correctly, but
after reboot they show up in the device manager with a yellow exclamation
point saying the device could not start correctly. I have no display options
(resolution, screen savers, etc.). Please help!!!
4 answers Last reply
More about nvidia video cards working

    Did you remember to disable any onboard graphics you may have in the BIOS?
    www.coribright.com

    "Josh L" <Josh L@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have tried several video cards on my computer (running XP Pro). I first
    > tried a Radeon VE (AGP) and then an Nvidia GeForce 4 MX4000 PCI card. I
    > have
    > the same problem with both. The drivers say they install correctly, but
    > after reboot they show up in the device manager with a yellow exclamation
    > point saying the device could not start correctly. I have no display
    > options
    > (resolution, screen savers, etc.). Please help!!!

    Sounds like your AGP drivers are not installed or
    you haven't let the BIOS assign an IRQ to the AGP slot.

    Drivers are on your MB CD or mgfr's website.

    "Josh L" <Josh L@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have tried several video cards on my computer (running XP Pro). I first
    > tried a Radeon VE (AGP) and then an Nvidia GeForce 4 MX4000 PCI card. I
    have
    > the same problem with both. The drivers say they install correctly, but
    > after reboot they show up in the device manager with a yellow exclamation
    > point saying the device could not start correctly. I have no display
    options
    > (resolution, screen savers, etc.). Please help!!!
  3. Use your BIOS, turn off any unused devices like RAID controller, Parallel Port, Serial Port, or any devices specific to you motherboard. Keep the ones you are using. If you can disable non critical devices, then do so for the purpose of the test to see if they interfere.

    You can try removing devices one at a time in the device manager, and allowing them to re-install. They may sense the conflict and select another port address or interrupt. I have had to re-install device drivers that thought they were correct, but were not. Download the latest driver and select the file to update from in the device manager.

    Not related to your problem, but my i7 Z67 motherboard had a problem with my SLI setup. It ended up being the memory interleave setting on the motherboard being incorrectly setup.

    Good Luck!
  4. This topic has been closed by Area51reopened

Video Graphics Cards Nvidia Windows XP