Tags:
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
March 4, 2005 2:25:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

My setup:
Have win2k server. Has 3 disks.
Disk 0 contains volume C and D (total size 35 Gb)
Disk 1 contains volume F (total size 35 Gb)
Disk 2 is a mirror of volumes C, D and F (total size 70Gb)

What I want to do:
Take out disk 2 which will now serve as a backup in case of disaster.
Extend Volume C on disk 0 to fill entire disk (so volume C is now 35 Gb)
Mirror C to disk 1
For former volumes D and F setup 2 new IDE disks (3&4). Then mirror
disk 3 (containing D and F) to Disk 4.

The problem:
Tried the above on my test computer.
So... delete volume D on disk 0 and try to extend volume C to fill entire
disk
get an error stating that the volume can not be extended because it was
created
on the basic disk. Microsoft knowledgebase confirms the same.
My question is: What now?
Is there some trick that I can perform in order to extend the volume C to
entire haddrive
such as first copying it with Ghost then dumping it back to the drive. Or
some other sleight of hand?
Any utilities that will do this for me?

Thanks a millions in advance for all replies.

More about : question

Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 4, 2005 9:46:34 AM

asdf wrote:

> My setup:
> Have win2k server. Has 3 disks.
> Disk 0 contains volume C and D (total size 35 Gb)
> Disk 1 contains volume F (total size 35 Gb)
> Disk 2 is a mirror of volumes C, D and F (total size 70Gb)

What a bloody nightmare.

I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess at the possibilities.

Why bother with mirroring when any fault is bound to be catastrophic,
based on the complexity of the setup?

For goodness' sake, keep it simple.

Back up your data, reinstall, set up a "minimalist" configuration, and
then restore.

Odie
--

Retrodata
The Globally Local Data Recovery Experts

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

Too complex. If you have disks 3&4, simply ghost disks 0&1 to them. Check that
they boot, then you can ghost them back to 0&1 if they are faster SCSIs.

You cannot extend boot volumes, it will result in boot failure.

"asdf" <dfsa@sadf.com> wrote in message news:MvRVd.6886$Xr6.1912@fe11.lga...
> My setup:
> Have win2k server. Has 3 disks.
> Disk 0 contains volume C and D (total size 35 Gb)
> Disk 1 contains volume F (total size 35 Gb)
> Disk 2 is a mirror of volumes C, D and F (total size 70Gb)
>
> What I want to do:
> Take out disk 2 which will now serve as a backup in case of disaster.
> Extend Volume C on disk 0 to fill entire disk (so volume C is now 35 Gb)
> Mirror C to disk 1
> For former volumes D and F setup 2 new IDE disks (3&4). Then mirror
> disk 3 (containing D and F) to Disk 4.

a b G Storage
March 4, 2005 1:21:25 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

This is true. I have found that even RAID 5 is a joke if you fill if you don't
have about 35-40% free disk space on all volumes. This means if you have a
server and you only have about 15% of disk space and one drive dies
overnight you loose it all.

Standard backups and configuration backups are in order. In my mind if it's
a major failure, rebuild. Same goes for upgrading. I say "Clean Install" do
it right.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 4, 2005 1:21:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

Nonsense. What does free space have to do with RAID?

"Mr. Smith" <backup@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This is true. I have found that even RAID 5 is a joke if you fill if you
don't
> have about 35-40% free disk space on all volumes. This means if you have a
> server and you only have about 15% of disk space and one drive dies
> overnight you loose it all.

March 4, 2005 9:56:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

my disks 3 and 4 will be 160 Gb Ide disk.

So lets say I ghost 1 and 2 to 3 and 4 the volumes created on the latter
will
be the original size? Or will ghost give me the opportunity to resize them
during th process?

thank you
"Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D 0a78l12q4u@enews1.newsguy.com...
> Too complex. If you have disks 3&4, simply ghost disks 0&1 to them. Check
that
> they boot, then you can ghost them back to 0&1 if they are faster SCSIs.
>
> You cannot extend boot volumes, it will result in boot failure.
>
> "asdf" <dfsa@sadf.com> wrote in message
> > My setup:
> > Have win2k server. Has 3 disks.
> > Disk 0 contains volume C and D (total size 35 Gb)
> > Disk 1 contains volume F (total size 35 Gb)
> > Disk 2 is a mirror of volumes C, D and F (total size 70Gb)
> >
> > What I want to do:
> > Take out disk 2 which will now serve as a backup in case of disaster.
> > Extend Volume C on disk 0 to fill entire disk (so volume C is now 35 Gb)
> > Mirror C to disk 1
> > For former volumes D and F setup 2 new IDE disks (3&4). Then mirror
> > disk 3 (containing D and F) to Disk 4.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 4, 2005 9:56:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

In ghost 7/8, you have complete control when you copy partitions. I forget what
copy disk does.

"asdf" <dfsa@sadf.com> wrote in message news:6G6Wd.7137$If1.3766@fe11.lga...
> my disks 3 and 4 will be 160 Gb Ide disk.
>
> So lets say I ghost 1 and 2 to 3 and 4 the volumes created on the latter
> will
> be the original size? Or will ghost give me the opportunity to resize them
> during th process?

March 5, 2005 4:37:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windows.server.general (More info?)

the thing is that i need to resize partition on a server. And my norton
ghost 9 won't even let me install.
What other utilities should i use on a server.

news:D 0b5v7013he@enews1.newsguy.com...