SATA RAID0 on a dual boot w2k/xp pro system

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hello, All!

My system is dual boot w2k/xp pro. My current intentions are to install two
new identical SATA drives, loading the RAID0 drivers as part of installing
a new w2k OS and in the course of it partitioning the drives into 3 or 4
partitions.

I then want to install a new instance of xp pro as a second boot partition
booting off of the xp pro disk. When I do that will I need to hit F6,
install the drivers again, and continue or should this not be necessary?

I suppose I could install the second partition from within w2k as opposed to
booting off the CD but I think the question would remain the same.

My hardware is an Asus A7V8X with AthlonXP with onboard Promise SATA/RAID
contoller/connectors.

Thanks.

Colonel Blip.
E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 10:46:18 -0600, "Colonel Blip"
<colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com> wrote:

>Hello, All!
>
>My system is dual boot w2k/xp pro. My current intentions are to install two
>new identical SATA drives, loading the RAID0 drivers as part of installing
>a new w2k OS and in the course of it partitioning the drives into 3 or 4
>partitions.
>
>I then want to install a new instance of xp pro as a second boot partition
>booting off of the xp pro disk. When I do that will I need to hit F6,
>install the drivers again, and continue or should this not be necessary?
>
>I suppose I could install the second partition from within w2k as opposed to
>booting off the CD but I think the question would remain the same.
>
>My hardware is an Asus A7V8X with AthlonXP with onboard Promise SATA/RAID
>contoller/connectors.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Colonel Blip.
>E-mail: colonel.blip@removethespambigfoot.com

>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Yes, you will. Xp will not find the driver on the first partition if
you booted from CD. If you want, you could create an xp installation
that includes your driver and then put it on a CD.... It's a lot of
work and not really worth it unless you're doing more than one
identical machine ....

You could alos stage the install on one of the other parititions along
with the driver and launch it from there unattended. It's a lot of
work as well.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;288344

You might also look at:

http://labmice.techtarget.com/windows2000/install/unattend_install.htm

ROEKing

MCSE on NT4, MCSE on W2K

Colonel Blip wrote:
> Hello, All!
>
> My system is dual boot w2k/xp pro. My current intentions are to
> install two
> new identical SATA drives, loading the RAID0 drivers as part of
> installing
> a new w2k OS and in the course of it partitioning the drives into 3
> or 4 partitions.

I don't see the point. You will likely see more performance improvement by
having the OS on one drive and the page file on the other.

RAID0 does not practically improve performance on the desktop - it does
increase the chance of data loss though.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101

> I then want to install a new instance of xp pro as a second boot
> partition
> booting off of the xp pro disk. When I do that will I need to hit F6,
> install the drivers again, and continue or should this not be
> necessary?

Both OSs will need a driver. And often the driver is different between
Win2K and WinXP (it is for Sil3112A, anyway).

> I suppose I could install the second partition from within w2k as
> opposed to booting off the CD but I think the question would remain
> the same.

Yes it would.

Ben

Ben Pope wrote:
> I don't see the point. You will likely see more performance
> improvement by having the OS on one drive and the page file on the
> other.
> RAID0 does not practically improve performance on the desktop - it
> does increase the chance of data loss though.
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101

Perhaps a different set of tests were required:
http://www.tweakers.net/reviews/515/1

Maybe it IS worth it.

Ben

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Thus spake Ben Pope:
> Ben Pope wrote:
>> I don't see the point. You will likely see more performance
>> improvement by having the OS on one drive and the page file on the
>> other.
>> RAID0 does not practically improve performance on the desktop - it
>> does increase the chance of data loss though.
>>
>> http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2101
>

> Perhaps a different set of tests were required:
> http://www.tweakers.net/reviews/515/1
>
> Maybe it IS worth it.
>
> Ben

Very interesting article, having read both SR & AT's slant. Perhaps when I
get an external drive, I'll get round to trying RAID0 using the onboard
controller. Still not keen on the potential possibility of data loss though.
--
Thank people in advance? Thanking or cursing them afterwards at least
gives some feedback!