New Controller with New Drive or Not?

I want to replace the 20GB HD in my 4 year old computer with one
that's 80 - 120GB and faster. I need some information and advice on
whether to add a new controller or if it's reasonable to continue
using the on-board IDE controller. The MB manual says it supports
"ATA/33 or ATA/66 hard drives" and "PIO Mode 3 and Mode 4 Enhanced
IDE". I'm looking for both good value and good performance. Specific
recommendations are welcome.

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

Previously Bob Simon <bsimon@xtnex.net> wrote:
> I want to replace the 20GB HD in my 4 year old computer with one
> that's 80 - 120GB and faster. I need some information and advice on
> whether to add a new controller or if it's reasonable to continue
> using the on-board IDE controller. The MB manual says it supports
> "ATA/33 or ATA/66 hard drives" and "PIO Mode 3 and Mode 4 Enhanced
> IDE". I'm looking for both good value and good performance. Specific
> recommendations are welcome.

With a single HDD, ATA/66 is still adequate today. An extra controller
in a PCI-slot would not necessarily help much, since the PCI bus is a
bottleneck.

Arno

On 5 Mar 2005 23:24:17 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>Previously Bob Simon <bsimon@xtnex.net> wrote:
>> I want to replace the 20GB HD in my 4 year old computer with one
>> that's 80 - 120GB and faster. I need some information and advice on
>> whether to add a new controller or if it's reasonable to continue
>> using the on-board IDE controller. The MB manual says it supports
>> "ATA/33 or ATA/66 hard drives" and "PIO Mode 3 and Mode 4 Enhanced
>> IDE". I'm looking for both good value and good performance. Specific
>> recommendations are welcome.
>
>With a single HDD, ATA/66 is still adequate today. An extra controller
>in a PCI-slot would not necessarily help much, since the PCI bus is a
>bottleneck.
>
>Arno

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. Would a 7200 rpm drive give noticably
better performance than a 5400 in my system?

--

"Bob Simon" <bsimon@xtnex.net> wrote in message
> On 5 Mar 2005 23:24:17 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>Previously Bob Simon <bsimon@xtnex.net> wrote:
>>> I want to replace the 20GB HD in my 4 year old computer with one
>>> that's 80 - 120GB and faster. I need some information and advice on
>>> whether to add a new controller or if it's reasonable to continue
>>> using the on-board IDE controller. The MB manual says it supports
>>> "ATA/33 or ATA/66 hard drives" and "PIO Mode 3 and Mode 4 Enhanced
>>> IDE". I'm looking for both good value and good performance. Specific
>>> recommendations are welcome.
>>
>>With a single HDD, ATA/66 is still adequate today. An extra controller
>>in a PCI-slot would not necessarily help much, since the PCI bus is a
>>bottleneck.

> Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. Would a 7200 rpm drive give
> noticably better performance than a 5400 in my system?

Yep, you'll notice the difference immediately.

"Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:38utd1F5r2f5uU1@individual.net
> Previously Bob Simon <bsimon@xtnex.net> wrote:
> > I want to replace the 20GB HD in my 4 year old computer with one
> > that's 80 - 120GB and faster. I need some information and advice on
> > whether to add a new controller or if it's reasonable to continue
> > using the on-board IDE controller. The MB manual says it supports
> > "ATA/33 or ATA/66 hard drives" and "PIO Mode 3 and Mode 4 Enhanced
> > IDE". I'm looking for both good value and good performance. Specific
> > recommendations are welcome.
>
> With a single HDD, ATA/66 is still adequate today.
> An extra controller in a PCI-slot would not necessarily help much,

> since the PCI bus is a bottleneck.

Nonsense. Not for a single ATA133 harddrive.
Not even for two ATA100 harddrives.

> Arno

Previously Bob Simon <bsimon@xtnex.net> wrote:
> On 5 Mar 2005 23:24:17 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>>Previously Bob Simon <bsimon@xtnex.net> wrote:
>>> I want to replace the 20GB HD in my 4 year old computer with one
>>> that's 80 - 120GB and faster. I need some information and advice on
>>> whether to add a new controller or if it's reasonable to continue
>>> using the on-board IDE controller. The MB manual says it supports
>>> "ATA/33 or ATA/66 hard drives" and "PIO Mode 3 and Mode 4 Enhanced
>>> IDE". I'm looking for both good value and good performance. Specific
>>> recommendations are welcome.
>>
>>With a single HDD, ATA/66 is still adequate today. An extra controller
>>in a PCI-slot would not necessarily help much, since the PCI bus is a
>>bottleneck.
>>
>>Arno

> Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. Would a 7200 rpm drive give noticably
> better performance than a 5400 in my system?

Not massively, but noticeable.

Arno

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:38vbn9F55ora6U1@individual.net
> "Bob Simon" <bsimon@xtnex.net> wrote in message news:crik21lhsac5sqjsr50rgqcifqc75h11c0@4ax.com...

> > > With a single HDD, ATA/66 is still adequate today. An extra controller
> > > in a PCI-slot would not necessarily help much, since the PCI bus is a
> > > bottleneck.
>
> > Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. Would a 7200 rpm drive give
> > noticably better performance than a 5400 in my system?
>
> Yep, you'll notice the difference immediately.

" Dont believe it. Bet you wouldnt be able to pick it in a double
blind trial without being allowed to use a benchmark. "

"Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
> "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> "Bob Simon" <bsimon@xtnex.net> wrote in message

>> > Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. Would a 7200 rpm drive give
>> > noticably better performance than a 5400 in my system?
>>
>> Yep, you'll notice the difference immediately.
>
> " Dont believe it. Bet you wouldnt be able to pick it in a double
> blind trial without being allowed to use a benchmark. "

Never said that about the rotation speed of the drive, you stupid troll.