New Controller with New Drive or Not?

I want to replace the 20GB HD in my 4 year old computer with one
that's 80 - 120GB and faster. I need some information and advice on
whether to add a new controller or if it's reasonable to continue
using the on-board IDE controller. The MB manual says it supports
"ATA/33 or ATA/66 hard drives" and "PIO Mode 3 and Mode 4 Enhanced
IDE". I'm looking for both good value and good performance. Specific
recommendations are welcome.

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

    Previously Bob Simon <bsimon@xtnex.net> wrote:
    > I want to replace the 20GB HD in my 4 year old computer with one
    > that's 80 - 120GB and faster. I need some information and advice on
    > whether to add a new controller or if it's reasonable to continue
    > using the on-board IDE controller. The MB manual says it supports
    > "ATA/33 or ATA/66 hard drives" and "PIO Mode 3 and Mode 4 Enhanced
    > IDE". I'm looking for both good value and good performance. Specific
    > recommendations are welcome.

    With a single HDD, ATA/66 is still adequate today. An extra controller
    in a PCI-slot would not necessarily help much, since the PCI bus is a
    bottleneck.

    Arno

    On 5 Mar 2005 23:24:17 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >Previously Bob Simon <bsimon@xtnex.net> wrote:
    >> I want to replace the 20GB HD in my 4 year old computer with one
    >> that's 80 - 120GB and faster. I need some information and advice on
    >> whether to add a new controller or if it's reasonable to continue
    >> using the on-board IDE controller. The MB manual says it supports
    >> "ATA/33 or ATA/66 hard drives" and "PIO Mode 3 and Mode 4 Enhanced
    >> IDE". I'm looking for both good value and good performance. Specific
    >> recommendations are welcome.
    >
    >With a single HDD, ATA/66 is still adequate today. An extra controller
    >in a PCI-slot would not necessarily help much, since the PCI bus is a
    >bottleneck.
    >
    >Arno

    Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. Would a 7200 rpm drive give noticably
    better performance than a 5400 in my system?

    --

    "Bob Simon" <bsimon@xtnex.net> wrote in message
    > On 5 Mar 2005 23:24:17 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Previously Bob Simon <bsimon@xtnex.net> wrote:
    >>> I want to replace the 20GB HD in my 4 year old computer with one
    >>> that's 80 - 120GB and faster. I need some information and advice on
    >>> whether to add a new controller or if it's reasonable to continue
    >>> using the on-board IDE controller. The MB manual says it supports
    >>> "ATA/33 or ATA/66 hard drives" and "PIO Mode 3 and Mode 4 Enhanced
    >>> IDE". I'm looking for both good value and good performance. Specific
    >>> recommendations are welcome.
    >>
    >>With a single HDD, ATA/66 is still adequate today. An extra controller
    >>in a PCI-slot would not necessarily help much, since the PCI bus is a
    >>bottleneck.

    > Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. Would a 7200 rpm drive give
    > noticably better performance than a 5400 in my system?

    Yep, you'll notice the difference immediately.

    "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:38utd1F5r2f5uU1@individual.net
    > Previously Bob Simon <bsimon@xtnex.net> wrote:
    > > I want to replace the 20GB HD in my 4 year old computer with one
    > > that's 80 - 120GB and faster. I need some information and advice on
    > > whether to add a new controller or if it's reasonable to continue
    > > using the on-board IDE controller. The MB manual says it supports
    > > "ATA/33 or ATA/66 hard drives" and "PIO Mode 3 and Mode 4 Enhanced
    > > IDE". I'm looking for both good value and good performance. Specific
    > > recommendations are welcome.
    >
    > With a single HDD, ATA/66 is still adequate today.
    > An extra controller in a PCI-slot would not necessarily help much,

    > since the PCI bus is a bottleneck.

    Nonsense. Not for a single ATA133 harddrive.
    Not even for two ATA100 harddrives.

    > Arno

    Previously Bob Simon <bsimon@xtnex.net> wrote:
    > On 5 Mar 2005 23:24:17 GMT, Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >>Previously Bob Simon <bsimon@xtnex.net> wrote:
    >>> I want to replace the 20GB HD in my 4 year old computer with one
    >>> that's 80 - 120GB and faster. I need some information and advice on
    >>> whether to add a new controller or if it's reasonable to continue
    >>> using the on-board IDE controller. The MB manual says it supports
    >>> "ATA/33 or ATA/66 hard drives" and "PIO Mode 3 and Mode 4 Enhanced
    >>> IDE". I'm looking for both good value and good performance. Specific
    >>> recommendations are welcome.
    >>
    >>With a single HDD, ATA/66 is still adequate today. An extra controller
    >>in a PCI-slot would not necessarily help much, since the PCI bus is a
    >>bottleneck.
    >>
    >>Arno

    > Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. Would a 7200 rpm drive give noticably
    > better performance than a 5400 in my system?

    Not massively, but noticeable.

    Arno

    "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:38vbn9F55ora6U1@individual.net
    > "Bob Simon" <bsimon@xtnex.net> wrote in message news:crik21lhsac5sqjsr50rgqcifqc75h11c0@4ax.com...

    > > > With a single HDD, ATA/66 is still adequate today. An extra controller
    > > > in a PCI-slot would not necessarily help much, since the PCI bus is a
    > > > bottleneck.
    >
    > > Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. Would a 7200 rpm drive give
    > > noticably better performance than a 5400 in my system?
    >
    > Yep, you'll notice the difference immediately.

    " Dont believe it. Bet you wouldnt be able to pick it in a double
    blind trial without being allowed to use a benchmark. "

    "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
    > "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> "Bob Simon" <bsimon@xtnex.net> wrote in message

    >> > Thanks, I'm glad to hear that. Would a 7200 rpm drive give
    >> > noticably better performance than a 5400 in my system?
    >>
    >> Yep, you'll notice the difference immediately.
    >
    > " Dont believe it. Bet you wouldnt be able to pick it in a double
    > blind trial without being allowed to use a benchmark. "

    Never said that about the rotation speed of the drive, you stupid troll.

Controller Storage