Ati Video freezes sp2 pc

Hello,

I installed sp2 about 2 weeks ago, however, recently
whenever my pc boots it freezes on the logo screen. I
narrowed it down to the video card, for when it is
disabled it boots fine.

It is a ATI radeon 8500, I updated the driver with the
new one released on the 14th of August but that didn't
fix it.

Does anybody have any ideas???!?!?!

Thanks,

Sean

Did it ever work correctly AFTER the SP2 installation?

What do you mean by disabling the graphics card? Do you have onboard
graphics as well (which are usually disabled in the BIOS) or do you mean it
halts at the file AGP440.sys when you try to boot up in Safe Mode.

www.coribright.com

"Sean G." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I installed sp2 about 2 weeks ago, however, recently
> whenever my pc boots it freezes on the logo screen. I
> narrowed it down to the video card, for when it is
> disabled it boots fine.
>
> It is a ATI radeon 8500, I updated the driver with the
> new one released on the 14th of August but that didn't
> fix it.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas???!?!?!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sean

I thought it did, but now I am not too sure. It always
gets into safe mode fine, and the only thing I do to make
it work in normal mode is disable the ati video card
driver, not the actual card. When running off of the xp
video driver it works (it is choppy but it works none the
less). But the minute I enable the ATI video driver it
freezes on boot up. I thought an ati video driver update
would work but it didn't.

-Sean

Let's work through removing the ATI stuff as detailed on their website and
see if starting again does the trick:

http://www.ati.com/support/installation/removal.html

Let us know how it goes.
www.coribright.com

>I thought it did, but now I am not too sure. It always
> gets into safe mode fine, and the only thing I do to make
> it work in normal mode is disable the ati video card
> driver, not the actual card. When running off of the xp
> video driver it works (it is choppy but it works none the
> less). But the minute I enable the ATI video driver it
> freezes on boot up. I thought an ati video driver update
> would work but it didn't.
>
> -Sean

I will, thanks for your help

Ok, I went through everything in uninstalling and
reinstalling. Everytime the ati driver is enabled and I
boot up the pc will freeze on the XP splash screen.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Sean

jbwitt

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2004

I am having a similar problem with the latest ATI driver. Try rolling the
ATI driver back a version or two.

"Sean G." wrote:

> Ok, I went through everything in uninstalling and
> reinstalling. Everytime the ati driver is enabled and I
> boot up the pc will freeze on the XP splash screen.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sean

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I am having the same problem. Nothing prompted the problem, no new updates
downloaded, no new games. The computer just started freezing on the flash
screen. I did a complete reinstall of Windows XP, only to find that it was
the ATI mobile Radeon 9700 driver causing the problem. I've tried older
versions and tried the 9800 version, but the only thing that works is
completely uninstalling or disabling the driver. Could it be that the actual
video card is damaged. I can play DVD's and other video, but now it looks
choppy working with just the Windows driver. Anybody have any answers?