movie maker 2.1

September 1, 2004 2:11:07 PM

Hi all
After installing sp2 movie make has this problem
moviemk.exe - unable to locate component
The application has failed to start because +++++++++(this was just
corrupted characters).dll was not found. Re-installing the application may
help.

The way I see it is the dll's are there but moviemk.exe is corrupt because
the file name it is looking for is just a load of garbled characters, how can
I get movimk.exe to work or can I get it from elsewhere.
Thanks
Ady

More about : movie maker

September 1, 2004 11:50:37 PM

You must have tried reinstalling SP2 ?

--
Rehan
www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker

"Ady" <Ady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all
> After installing sp2 movie make has this problem
> moviemk.exe - unable to locate component
> The application has failed to start because +++++++++(this was just
> corrupted characters).dll was not found. Re-installing the application may
> help.
>
> The way I see it is the dll's are there but moviemk.exe is corrupt because
> the file name it is looking for is just a load of garbled characters, how
> can
> I get movimk.exe to work or can I get it from elsewhere.
> Thanks
> Ady

September 1, 2004 11:50:38 PM

To be honest the first time I installed it it trashed a hard drive but I
needed info off it so I ended up buying a new hdd, it installed ok except for
movie maker and I must confess the thought of risking a re-install of sp2
does not appeal.
Ady

"Rehan" wrote:

> You must have tried reinstalling SP2 ?
>
> --
> Rehan
> www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker
>

> "Ady" <Ady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all
> > After installing sp2 movie make has this problem
> > moviemk.exe - unable to locate component
> > The application has failed to start because +++++++++(this was just
> > corrupted characters).dll was not found. Re-installing the application may
> > help.
> >
> > The way I see it is the dll's are there but moviemk.exe is corrupt because
> > the file name it is looking for is just a load of garbled characters, how
> > can
> > I get movimk.exe to work or can I get it from elsewhere.
> > Thanks
> > Ady

September 1, 2004 11:50:39 PM

It sounds a bit like you perhaps had a corrupted download of SP2 and the
corrupted just happened to be at the point of MovieMaker2.

If you have a retail copy of Windows XP, you may want to try slipsteaming
SP2 ......

Download the full version of SP2 again in case it is corrupted.... then
follow the instructions at
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticl...

You can produce an ISO file and burn that image to a CD. The resulting CD
is now a bootable one and you can do a Repair Installation with it, just as
you can with a retail copy of XP... but this one is integrated with SP2.
www.coribright.com

> To be honest the first time I installed it it trashed a hard drive but I
> needed info off it so I ended up buying a new hdd, it installed ok except
> for
> movie maker and I must confess the thought of risking a re-install of sp2
> does not appeal.
> Ady
>

> "Rehan" wrote:
>
>> You must have tried reinstalling SP2 ?
>>
>> --
>> Rehan
>> www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker
>>

>> "Ady" <Ady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi all
>> > After installing sp2 movie make has this problem
>> > moviemk.exe - unable to locate component
>> > The application has failed to start because +++++++++(this was just
>> > corrupted characters).dll was not found. Re-installing the application
>> > may
>> > help.
>> >
>> > The way I see it is the dll's are there but moviemk.exe is corrupt
>> > because
>> > the file name it is looking for is just a load of garbled characters,
>> > how
>> > can
>> > I get movimk.exe to work or can I get it from elsewhere.
>> > Thanks
>> > Ady

September 1, 2004 11:50:40 PM

Hi again
again tbhat ugly word reinstall comes up, I have a retail xp home disc but
surely microsoft can come up with a better method, such as making the movie
maker .exe file available somewhere, I make dvds of home videos but its
starting to look like nero vision express 2 will have to come out to play.
Thansk for your suggestions I do appreciate any help offered, but I have now
got a deep seated fear of service pack installations.

Ady

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> It sounds a bit like you perhaps had a corrupted download of SP2 and the
> corrupted just happened to be at the point of MovieMaker2.
>
> If you have a retail copy of Windows XP, you may want to try slipsteaming
> SP2 ......
>
> Download the full version of SP2 again in case it is corrupted.... then
> follow the instructions at
> http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticl...
>
> You can produce an ISO file and burn that image to a CD. The resulting CD
> is now a bootable one and you can do a Repair Installation with it, just as
> you can with a retail copy of XP... but this one is integrated with SP2.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Ady" <Ady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > To be honest the first time I installed it it trashed a hard drive but I
> > needed info off it so I ended up buying a new hdd, it installed ok except
> > for
> > movie maker and I must confess the thought of risking a re-install of sp2
> > does not appeal.
> > Ady
> >

> > "Rehan" wrote:
> >
> >> You must have tried reinstalling SP2 ?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Rehan
> >> www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker
> >>

> >> "Ady" <Ady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 11:50:41 PM

It's a Repair Install, not a format and clean reinstall.

See:

www.coribright.com

> Hi again
> again tbhat ugly word reinstall comes up, I have a retail xp home disc but
> surely microsoft can come up with a better method, such as making the
> movie
> maker .exe file available somewhere, I make dvds of home videos but its
> starting to look like nero vision express 2 will have to come out to play.
> Thansk for your suggestions I do appreciate any help offered, but I have
> now
> got a deep seated fear of service pack installations.
>
> Ady
>

> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> It sounds a bit like you perhaps had a corrupted download of SP2 and the
>> corrupted just happened to be at the point of MovieMaker2.
>>
>> If you have a retail copy of Windows XP, you may want to try slipsteaming
>> SP2 ......
>>
>> Download the full version of SP2 again in case it is corrupted.... then
>> follow the instructions at
>> http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticl...
>>
>> You can produce an ISO file and burn that image to a CD. The resulting
>> CD
>> is now a bootable one and you can do a Repair Installation with it, just
>> as
>> you can with a retail copy of XP... but this one is integrated with SP2.
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>> www.coribright.com
>>
>> "Ady" <Ady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > To be honest the first time I installed it it trashed a hard drive but
>> > needed info off it so I ended up buying a new hdd, it installed ok
>> > except
>> > for
>> > movie maker and I must confess the thought of risking a re-install of
>> > sp2
>> > does not appeal.
>> > Ady

September 2, 2004 6:25:03 PM

Hi all
Thanks the slipstreaming thing worked liked a dream

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> It's a Repair Install, not a format and clean reinstall.
>
> See:

> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Ady" <Ady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi again
> > again tbhat ugly word reinstall comes up, I have a retail xp home disc but
> > surely microsoft can come up with a better method, such as making the
> > movie
> > maker .exe file available somewhere, I make dvds of home videos but its
> > starting to look like nero vision express 2 will have to come out to play.
> > Thansk for your suggestions I do appreciate any help offered, but I have
> > now
> > got a deep seated fear of service pack installations.
> >
> > Ady
> >

> > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> It sounds a bit like you perhaps had a corrupted download of SP2 and the
> >> corrupted just happened to be at the point of MovieMaker2.
> >>
> >> If you have a retail copy of Windows XP, you may want to try slipsteaming
> >> SP2 ......
> >>
> >> Download the full version of SP2 again in case it is corrupted.... then
> >> follow the instructions at
> >> http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticl...
> >>
> >> You can produce an ISO file and burn that image to a CD. The resulting
> >> CD
> >> is now a bootable one and you can do a Repair Installation with it, just
> >> as
> >> you can with a retail copy of XP... but this one is integrated with SP2.
> >> --
> >> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> >> www.coribright.com
> >>
> >> "Ady" <Ady@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

July 8, 2009 2:49:21 AM

It seems from what is posted that Movie Maker has a corrupt file due to downloading SP2. I would like to know if down loading SP2 again will fix the corrupt file.
!