Drive has bad parameters in bootsecto,r problem - Help!

Hi,

I have XP Pro and for some reason the thing locked up whilst I was
transferring files to drive:H

I fixed the crash which was a corrupted GeForce Display file but now
notice my 3rd HD (DRive H:) shows no name and tells me it is unformatted.

I have checked with a Recovery tool and it tells me this..

Bad parameters in bootsector:root director cluster (2837271807) > count
of clusters !

Any idea if and how to get my data back?

Thanks

Rock
2 answers Last reply
More about drive parameters bootsecto problem help

    "Rock" <1940@pobox.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have XP Pro and for some reason the thing locked up whilst I was
    > transferring files to drive:H
    >
    > I fixed the crash which was a corrupted GeForce Display file but now
    > notice my 3rd HD (DRive H:) shows no name and tells me it is unformatted.
    >
    > I have checked with a Recovery tool and it tells me this..
    >
    > Bad parameters in bootsector:root director cluster (2837271807) > count
    > of clusters !
    >
    > Any idea if and how to get my data back?

    Well, if that's really the only thing that's wrong (which I doubt), you can
    use a boot sector editor to change the value. If no exotic partitioning
    tools or resizers were used then there's a good chance that the first
    cluster for the root was 2.

    Ptedit (should somewhere on the symantec website) can be used. Also
    commercial tools like DiskPatch from www.diydatarecovery.nl include a boot
    sector editor, and it may also be able to fix the issue for you.

    If the disk contains important data there should be some warnings before
    trying to fix it; make sure you can reverse your changes - make sure you
    first inspect the contents of the disk in a read only manner (from DOS).
    Safest is to clone the disk first.

    Alternatively, recover important user data from the disk using file recovery
    software, verify the recovered data and then reformat the victim disk.

    --
    Joep

    I suggest you use partition table doctor.It provides very useful
    functions: Backup partition table, Restore partition table, Rebuild
    partition table, undelete partition,Fixboot.
    see more:http://www.ptdd.com

Storage