These old drives are just not worth it

New computers with giant hard drives are so comparitively inexpensive
these days that I feel I would be wasting my time nursing old
hard-drives and dealing with their compatibility problems. Even if you
do get an old system working what do you end up with? - an old system,
and for how long?

I know there are 'nuts' who achieve satisfaction nursing these old
systems and I know that the process can be educational but in economic
terms they are just not worth it.

I used to be one of these 'nuts' but when I consider the amount of time
I spent nursing old systems I really wish I had put the time to better
use.

Todd

On 10 Mar 2005 02:12:28 -0800, "Football Nut"
<footballnut@liverpoolfans.com> wrote:

>New computers with giant hard drives are so comparitively inexpensive
>these days that I feel I would be wasting my time nursing old
>hard-drives and dealing with their compatibility problems. Even if you
>do get an old system working what do you end up with? - an old system,
>and for how long?
>
>I know there are 'nuts' who achieve satisfaction nursing these old
>systems and I know that the process can be educational but in economic
>terms they are just not worth it.
>
>I used to be one of these 'nuts' but when I consider the amount of time
>I spent nursing old systems I really wish I had put the time to better
>use.

Such as watching Football?

In article <1110449548.398482.177550@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
Football Nut <footballnut@liverpoolfans.com> wrote:
>New computers with giant hard drives are so comparitively inexpensive
>these days that I feel I would be wasting my time nursing old
>hard-drives and dealing with their compatibility problems. Even if you
>do get an old system working what do you end up with? - an old system,
>and for how long?
>
>I know there are 'nuts' who achieve satisfaction nursing these old
>systems and I know that the process can be educational but in economic
>terms they are just not worth it.
>
>I used to be one of these 'nuts' but when I consider the amount of time
>I spent nursing old systems I really wish I had put the time to better
>use.

a 2GB disk is enough for a win/98 setup and non-profit groups
can always use spares.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

> In article <1110449548.398482.177550@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> Football Nut <footballnut@liverpoolfans.com> wrote:
>>New computers with giant hard drives are so comparitively inexpensive
>>these days that I feel I would be wasting my time nursing old
>>hard-drives and dealing with their compatibility problems. Even if you
>>do get an old system working what do you end up with? - an old system,
>>and for how long?
>>
>>I know there are 'nuts' who achieve satisfaction nursing these old
>>systems and I know that the process can be educational but in economic
>>terms they are just not worth it.
>>
>>I used to be one of these 'nuts' but when I consider the amount of time
>>I spent nursing old systems I really wish I had put the time to better
>>use.
>>

> a 2GB disk is enough for a win/98 setup and non-profit groups
> can always use spares.

More fool them. Makes a lot more sense for them to use modern PCs.

In article <39bj4eF5tugguU1@individual.net>,
Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
>> In article <1110449548.398482.177550@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
>> Football Nut <footballnut@liverpoolfans.com> wrote:
>>>New computers with giant hard drives are so comparitively inexpensive
>>>these days that I feel I would be wasting my time nursing old
>>>hard-drives and dealing with their compatibility problems. Even if you
>>>do get an old system working what do you end up with? - an old system,
>>>and for how long?
>>>
>>>I know there are 'nuts' who achieve satisfaction nursing these old
>>>systems and I know that the process can be educational but in economic
>>>terms they are just not worth it.
>>>
>>>I used to be one of these 'nuts' but when I consider the amount of time
>>>I spent nursing old systems I really wish I had put the time to better
>>>use.
>>>

>> a 2GB disk is enough for a win/98 setup and non-profit groups
>> can always use spares.
>
>More fool them. Makes a lot more sense for them to use modern PCs.

IME It's hard enough to get P-III-500 or better donations and these
organizations have ZERO money for systems. Occasionally I'll ask them
to buy a video card of a NIC if it will give them one more good
machine. Ebay's great for this kind of stuff.

A cleanly setup w/98 machine is find for what these people need. In some
circles I'd put in Linux on older hardware, but for legit reasons
these people are a windows shop.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

> >More fool them. Makes a lot more sense for them to use modern PCs.
> >

> IME It's hard enough to get P-III-500 or better donations and these
> organizations have ZERO money for systems. Occasionally I'll ask them
> to buy a video card of a NIC if it will give them one more good
> machine. Ebay's great for this kind of stuff.
>
> A cleanly setup w/98 machine is find for what these people need. In some
> circles I'd put in Linux on older hardware, but for legit reasons
> these people are a windows shop.

For the applications that most of organizations are using, a P3 system
running 98 is more than adequate. It's not like they're doing video
rendering or massive spreadsheet recalcs. What a waste of money for
non-profits to go out and spend $500-1000 for a new box just to do word
processing, email, web surfing, etc.

> In article <39bj4eF5tugguU1@individual.net>,
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>"Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message

>>> a 2GB disk is enough for a win/98 setup and non-profit groups
>>> can always use spares.
>>
>>More fool them. Makes a lot more sense for them to use modern PCs.
>>

> IME It's hard enough to get P-III-500 or better donations and these
> organizations have ZERO money for systems. Occasionally I'll ask them
> to buy a video card of a NIC if it will give them one more good
> machine. Ebay's great for this kind of stuff.
>
> A cleanly setup w/98 machine is find for what these people need. In some
> circles I'd put in Linux on older hardware, but for legit reasons
> these people are a windows shop.

'legit reasons'?
--
Derek

In article <oq2dnfccxtsjPK3fRVnysA@eclipse.net.uk>,
Derek Baker <me@xyzderekbaker.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:
>"Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
>> In article <39bj4eF5tugguU1@individual.net>,
>> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>"Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message

>>>More fool them. Makes a lot more sense for them to use modern PCs.
>>>

>> IME It's hard enough to get P-III-500 or better donations and these
>> organizations have ZERO money for systems. Occasionally I'll ask them
>> to buy a video card of a NIC if it will give them one more good
>> machine. Ebay's great for this kind of stuff.
>>
>> A cleanly setup w/98 machine is find for what these people need. In some
>> circles I'd put in Linux on older hardware, but for legit reasons
>> these people are a windows shop.
>>

>'legit reasons'?
>--
>Derek

Walk-in user community is folks in a job hunting assistance situation.
These people are in no mood for something new, and they may be with us
for months but it's not like they plan to put down roots and adapt our
culture.They are focused on employer requirements which are frequently
package-specific. I do have Ooo and FF on all the machines, and teach
about not sending resumes out on .DOC format, to use PDF, etc. We
sometimes teach Excel or MS-specific packages like ACT. I live by
example and have no MS software on my laptop.

Since you asked, I'm as big a Linux/OpenSource fan as it gets and have
been bringing software that could be called "open source" into big
companies since 1979, sometimes with huge wins, but I've learned that
I have to pick my fights and understand the client's motivations and
requirements.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

> In article <39bj4eF5tugguU1@individual.net>,
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>"Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message

>>> a 2GB disk is enough for a win/98 setup and non-profit groups
>>> can always use spares.
>>
>>More fool them. Makes a lot more sense for them to use modern PCs.

> IME It's hard enough to get P-III-500 or better donations
> and these organizations have ZERO money for systems.

Thats where they are acting stupidly.

> Occasionally I'll ask them to buy a video card
> of a NIC if it will give them one more good
> machine. Ebay's great for this kind of stuff.

> A cleanly setup w/98 machine is find for what these people need.

Wrong. Too much maintenance like that required.

> In some circles I'd put in Linux on older hardware,
> but for legit reasons these people are a windows shop.

Then they should be running Win on other than complete dinosaurs.

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in news:39bn3tF619ml0U1
@individual.net:

>>>More fool them. Makes a lot more sense for them to use modern PCs.
>
>> IME It's hard enough to get P-III-500 or better donations
>> and these organizations have ZERO money for systems.
>
> Thats where they are acting stupidly.

The logic of your point escapes me; please explain?

"Chuck U. Farley" <chuckufarleynot@dyslexia.com> wrote in message
>> >More fool them. Makes a lot more sense for them to use modern PCs.
>> >

>> IME It's hard enough to get P-III-500 or better donations and these
>> organizations have ZERO money for systems. Occasionally I'll ask them
>> to buy a video card of a NIC if it will give them one more good
>> machine. Ebay's great for this kind of stuff.
>>
>> A cleanly setup w/98 machine is find for what these people need. In some
>> circles I'd put in Linux on older hardware, but for legit reasons
>> these people are a windows shop.
>
> For the applications that most of organizations are using, a P3 system
> running 98 is more than adequate. It's not like they're doing video
> rendering or massive spreadsheet recalcs. What a waste of money for
> non-profits to go out and spend $500-1000 for a new box just to do word
> processing, email, web surfing, etc.

The problem aint the cpu, its the maintenance that dinosaurs require.

In article <39bn8bF60rtp5U1@individual.net>,
Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Chuck U. Farley" <chuckufarleynot@dyslexia.com> wrote in message
>>> >

>>> IME It's hard enough to get P-III-500 or better donations and these
>>> organizations have ZERO money for systems. Occasionally I'll ask them
>>> to buy a video card of a NIC if it will give them one more good
>>> machine. Ebay's great for this kind of stuff.
>>>
>>> A cleanly setup w/98 machine is find for what these people need. In some
>>> circles I'd put in Linux on older hardware, but for legit reasons
>>> these people are a windows shop.
>>
>> For the applications that most of organizations are using, a P3 system
>> running 98 is more than adequate. It's not like they're doing video
>> rendering or massive spreadsheet recalcs. What a waste of money for
>> non-profits to go out and spend $500-1000 for a new box just to do word
>> processing, email, web surfing, etc.
>
>The problem aint the cpu, its the maintenance that dinosaurs require.

Win/98SE with all the patches and a HW firewall is OK from a
maintenance standpoint. Fresh installs are a big plus. I don't repair
a screwed up OS.

--

Al Dykes wrote:

> In article <39bn8bF60rtp5U1@individual.net>,
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>"Chuck U. Farley" <chuckufarleynot@dyslexia.com> wrote in message

>>> For the applications that most of organizations are using, a P3 system
>>> running 98 is more than adequate. It's not like they're doing video
>>> rendering or massive spreadsheet recalcs. What a waste of money for
>>> non-profits to go out and spend $500-1000 for a new box just to do word
>>> processing, email, web surfing, etc.
>>
>>The problem aint the cpu, its the maintenance that dinosaurs require.
>>

> Win/98SE with all the patches and a HW firewall is OK from a
> maintenance standpoint. Fresh installs are a big plus. I don't repair
> a screwed up OS.

Al, just a comment here--if I'm telling you something you already know, then
ignore me.

If you're not aware of <http://www.techsoup.com> you might want to check it
out--they have links to all sorts of resources for nonprofits. Relevant
specifically to this discussion they provide access to a Microsoft program
by which a nonprofit (subject to certain restrictions that they spell out)
can obtain up to 50 licenses for Windows 2K for $15 each, or upgrade
licenses for $8 each, plus $25 for one copy of the CD for the OS. There
are many other Microsoft products available on very good terms--2K3 Server
Standard for example is $40 plus $6 each for Terminal Services CALs--this
can be a very good solution if the nonprofit can afford one good powerful
machine--it doesn't take much to be a Terminal Services client--you can do
that with Windows 98 or with fairly minimal Linux boxen, and for many tasks
a single Terminal Services box can support a surprising number of users.
Office 2K3 is 20 bucks a seat.

If you routinely set up donated boxen for nonprofits and do more than 50 a
year there's another program that is aimed specifically at your situation,
but you might have to jump through some hoops to prove eligibility.

They provide access to similar programs from other vendors--for example your
nonprofits can get 25 seats of Symantec Systemworks for 100 bucks and the
renewal license is 32 bucks a year thereafter. The server-side products
are also available.

They also have Cisco hardware available.

Note that all the dollar figures above are "administrative fees", not prices
per se.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

In article <d0qlcm02jfc@news3.newsguy.com>,
J. Clarke <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
>Al Dykes wrote:
>
>> In article <39bn8bF60rtp5U1@individual.net>,
>> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>"Chuck U. Farley" <chuckufarleynot@dyslexia.com> wrote in message

>>>The problem aint the cpu, its the maintenance that dinosaurs require.
>>>

>> Win/98SE with all the patches and a HW firewall is OK from a
>> maintenance standpoint. Fresh installs are a big plus. I don't repair
>> a screwed up OS.
>
>Al, just a comment here--if I'm telling you something you already know, then
>ignore me.
>
>If you're not aware of <http://www.techsoup.com> you might want to check it
>out--they have links to all sorts of resources for nonprofits. Relevant
>specifically to this discussion they provide access to a Microsoft program
>by which a nonprofit (subject to certain restrictions that they spell out)
>can obtain up to 50 licenses for Windows 2K for $15 each, or upgrade
>licenses for $8 each, plus $25 for one copy of the CD for the OS. There
>are many other Microsoft products available on very good terms--2K3 Server
>Standard for example is $40 plus $6 each for Terminal Services CALs--this
>can be a very good solution if the nonprofit can afford one good powerful
>machine--it doesn't take much to be a Terminal Services client--you can do
>that with Windows 98 or with fairly minimal Linux boxen, and for many tasks
>a single Terminal Services box can support a surprising number of users.
>Office 2K3 is 20 bucks a seat.
>
>If you routinely set up donated boxen for nonprofits and do more than 50 a
>year there's another program that is aimed specifically at your situation,
>but you might have to jump through some hoops to prove eligibility.
>
>They provide access to similar programs from other vendors--for example your
>nonprofits can get 25 seats of Symantec Systemworks for 100 bucks and the
>renewal license is 32 bucks a year thereafter. The server-side products
>are also available.
>
>They also have Cisco hardware available.
>
>Note that all the dollar figures above are "administrative fees", not prices
>per se.
>
>--
>--John
>to email, dial "usenet" and validate
>(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Thanks, I've looked at them from time to time but never did a deal. I
didn't look at the other programs. I'll take another look.

--

> In article <39bn8bF60rtp5U1@individual.net>,
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>"Chuck U. Farley" <chuckufarleynot@dyslexia.com> wrote in message

>>> For the applications that most of organizations are using, a P3 system
>>> running 98 is more than adequate. It's not like they're doing video
>>> rendering or massive spreadsheet recalcs. What a waste of money for
>>> non-profits to go out and spend $500-1000 for a new box just to do word
>>> processing, email, web surfing, etc.
>>
>>The problem aint the cpu, its the maintenance that dinosaurs require.

> Win/98SE with all the patches and a HW
> firewall is OK from a maintenance standpoint.

I meant the hardware, not the OS.

> Fresh installs are a big plus. I don't repair a screwed up OS.

Sure.

Al Dykes wrote:

>Win/98SE with all the patches and a HW firewall is OK from a
>maintenance standpoint. Fresh installs are a big plus. I don't repair
>a screwed up OS.

I have a nice machine that fits that description that I don't use any
more. Celeron "450A", 256M PC100, 60G HD, clean Win98 install. Who
do you suggest I call?

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in news:39e8naF61dqtgU1
@individual.net:

>> Just repeating "it's stupid" doesn't clarify your point - if you
>> have one worth making.
>
> Even you should be able to bullshit your way out of your
> predicament better than that pathetic effort, child.

The predicament is yours. To explain how one could overcome a
financial constraint by declaring it to be stupid.