Changing drive letters in XP

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
March 11, 2005 10:17:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

I am trying to upgrade to a bigger drive. The old drive has nine
logical drives on it, C (windows 98 SE), D (Windows XP SP2) through
K. I have another old drive with logical drives L and M. All the
partitions on the old drives are fat 32.

I set up the new drive with three logical drives. I installed the
new drive on a different controller than the old drive and copied
the files to it. When I remove the old drives and booted Windows
XP, the new drive has drive letters of D, N and P. I VERY much do
NOT want this.

I want the first partition (now N the system partition) to be C. Is
there a way to change this partition to C? Windows XP's Disk
Management program refuses to change it because it is a system
partition. Thank you in advance for all replies.
in a circle until he gets too dizzy to stand up. What is cruel about
it is that I don't do it nearly as much as he wants me to.

More about : changing drive letters

March 11, 2005 6:08:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

I'm trying to get a laptop in time for church camp summer job. Please
help if you can by using my referal link:
http://www.pctech4free.com/def­ault.aspx?ref=59054

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 11, 2005 10:03:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

You could at least have the decency to create a new post..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"pctech" <avoidingthespam@gmail.com> wrote in message
I'm trying to get a laptop in time for church camp summer job. Please
help if you can by using my referal link:
http://www.pctech4free.com/def­ault.aspx?ref=59054

Thanks in advance.
a b G Storage
March 12, 2005 7:11:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:17:50 -0800, Daniel Prince
<neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote:

>I am trying to upgrade to a bigger drive. The old drive has nine
>logical drives on it, C (windows 98 SE), D (Windows XP SP2) through
>K. I have another old drive with logical drives L and M. All the
>partitions on the old drives are fat 32.
>
>I set up the new drive with three logical drives. I installed the
>new drive on a different controller than the old drive and copied
>the files to it. When I remove the old drives and booted Windows
>XP, the new drive has drive letters of D, N and P. I VERY much do
>NOT want this.
>
>I want the first partition (now N the system partition) to be C. Is
>there a way to change this partition to C? Windows XP's Disk
>Management program refuses to change it because it is a system
>partition. Thank you in advance for all replies.

If you change the drive letter of the system partition to something
else, it will cause a lot of problems. A lot of system settings are
now pointing to N: as the system drive and things will not work
properly if the system drive letter is changed to C:. You can change
the letter of the other drives using Disk Manager without any problem.

The fastest way to fix this problem is to back up all your data and
simply erase the new drive and install XP from scratch without any
other drives in the system. Boot from the install CD and remove all
partitions and then start again. This will take less time than trying
to fix the mess from re-lettering. Also, there is no need at all for
all of those logical partitions using a modern file system like NTFS.
One big NTFS partition per physical hard disk works just fine.
- -
Gary L.
Reply to the newsgroup only
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 12, 2005 11:48:54 AM

"Gary L." <nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:17:50 -0800, Daniel Prince
> <neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >I am trying to upgrade to a bigger drive. The old drive has nine
> >logical drives on it, C (windows 98 SE), D (Windows XP SP2) through
> >K. I have another old drive with logical drives L and M. All the
> >partitions on the old drives are fat 32.
> >
> >I set up the new drive with three logical drives. I installed the
> >new drive on a different controller than the old drive and copied
> >the files to it. When I remove the old drives and booted Windows
> >XP, the new drive has drive letters of D, N and P. I VERY much do
> >NOT want this.

Start over. Copying files rarely works 100%. Clone the drive instead.

> >I want the first partition (now N the system partition) to be C. Is
> >there a way to change this partition to C? Windows XP's Disk
> >Management program refuses to change it because it is a system
> >partition. Thank you in advance for all replies.
>
> If you change the drive letter of the system partition to something
> else, it will cause a lot of problems. A lot of system settings are
> now pointing to N: as the system drive and things will not work
> properly if the system drive letter is changed to C:. You can change
> the letter of the other drives using Disk Manager without any problem.

Bullshit. He has to get the system drive back to C or D, because that's what
setup originally found.

> The fastest way to fix this problem is to back up all your data and
> simply erase the new drive and install XP from scratch without any
> other drives in the system. Boot from the install CD and remove all
> partitions and then start again. This will take less time than trying
> to fix the mess from re-lettering. Also, there is no need at all for
> all of those logical partitions using a modern file system like NTFS.
> One big NTFS partition per physical hard disk works just fine.

Nonsense, no need to reinstall. The fastest way it simply use the drive cloning
software available for his new drive.

If the OP does start over, he should have FAT32 for Win98, NTFS for XP, and
FAT32 for data.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 12, 2005 6:20:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Gary L." <nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:17:50 -0800, Daniel Prince
> <neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>I am trying to upgrade to a bigger drive. The old drive has nine
>>logical drives on it, C (windows 98 SE), D (Windows XP SP2) through
>>K. I have another old drive with logical drives L and M. All the
>>partitions on the old drives are fat 32.
>>
>>I set up the new drive with three logical drives. I installed the
>>new drive on a different controller than the old drive and copied
>>the files to it. When I remove the old drives and booted Windows
>>XP, the new drive has drive letters of D, N and P. I VERY much do
>>NOT want this.
>>
>>I want the first partition (now N the system partition) to be C. Is
>>there a way to change this partition to C? Windows XP's Disk
>>Management program refuses to change it because it is a system
>>partition. Thank you in advance for all replies.
>
> If you change the drive letter of the system partition to something
> else, it will cause a lot of problems. A lot of system settings are
> now pointing to N: as the system drive and things will not work
> properly if the system drive letter is changed to C:. You can change
> the letter of the other drives using Disk Manager without any problem.

> The fastest way to fix this problem is to back up all your data

Best to use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard if you're going to go this
route.

> and simply erase the new drive and install XP from scratch without any
> other drives in the system. Boot from the install CD and remove all
> partitions and then start again. This will take less time than trying
> to fix the mess from re-lettering. Also, there is no need at all for
> all of those logical partitions using a modern file system like NTFS.
> One big NTFS partition per physical hard disk works just fine.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 12, 2005 6:39:18 PM

"Eric Gisin" <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Start over. Copying files rarely works 100%. Clone the drive instead.

I have never used any drive cloning software. Are there any good
freeware drive cloning programs? Are there any good shareware drive
cloning programs?
in a circle until he gets too dizzy to stand up. What is cruel about
it is that I don't do it nearly as much as he wants me to.

a b G Storage
March 13, 2005 2:40:32 PM

Daniel Prince <neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Eric Gisin <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote

>> Start over. Copying files rarely works 100%. Clone the drive instead.

> I have never used any drive cloning software. Are
> there any good freeware drive cloning programs?

No point when Ghost 2003 as part of SystemWorks
Pro 2003 costs peanuts, literally, on ebay.

> Are there any good shareware drive cloning programs?

See above.
March 28, 2005 9:07:04 AM

This is how you REALLY DO IT!!!!

In XP
First off go to
control panel
Administrative Tools
Computer Management
under Storage go to
Disk Management

You should be able to see all of your drives there, when you right
click on them, on the options is to Change Drive
Letter and Paths

From here you can change your existing drives to whatever you want.
One thing though, you may not me able to change your drive that you
boot from :(
March 29, 2005 2:33:04 AM

Yup, that's why my boot drive is now F:

"gangals" <gangals@daggermods-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message