Sign in with
Your question

Samsung DVI vs VS 3x TEch

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 24, 2001 1:30:05 AM

I am looking at 2 main selections from my distributer and they are Samsung 170T with a DVI interface, vs Viewsonic 170G with 3x video accelerator and analog input. Which is better? If ibuy one of these things, i want something that cna handle video, the analog 3x sounds like it is accelerated to handle that, but with DVI, there is no conversion process, with this in mind is there still a lag in the video? Which is fast the 3x or DVI?

More about : samsung dvi tech

September 24, 2001 3:05:53 PM

Well converting from analog-Digital won't affect the response time or anything. It just affects picture quality, so I would go for DVI. 3x from Viewsonic is just MVA technology, which has serious color ramp problems. Definetly don't get something w/ that (I had one w/ 3x, and it was horrible. This seems to hold true for all w/ MVA).

Your brain: PC
You brain on drugs: Mac
September 24, 2001 5:34:32 PM

Thanks for the info, Hopefully then if i get this Samsun 170T plus the Nvidia card with DVI interface, it will be able to hold up to animation and video games.
Related resources
September 24, 2001 8:53:42 PM

Looks like a nice monitor, just what is its response time? I know it can't be too bad, as Samsung is a well known company.

Your brain: PC
You brain on drugs: Mac
October 8, 2001 6:38:38 PM

Please explain your comments on MVA technology and Color ramp problems. What specifically do you mean?

Because MVA uses divided domains instead of the conventional single domain colors and gray scales are far more accurate with less color uniformity problems.

To genereally say all MVA panels are have problems is a gross overstatment. Have you measured the problem or is this simply your opionion.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

Jim at http://www.monitorsdirect.com
October 8, 2001 8:20:01 PM

What happens with MVA monitors (from tests I have seen/read) is that rather than a color ramp (I assume you know what this is- starts of black, and as you go down teh pic it becomes white, or vice versa) the monitors with MVA represent this sort of image in bands; as if you were running it in 16 bit or even lower color. This I have found to be for MVA technology, as all the monitors I have seen tested that use MVA have had this problem, and they were from different companies.

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!
October 8, 2001 10:38:05 PM

I just went to my lab and tested the fujitsu 15, 17.4 and 23.1" MVA panles, and they do not exhibit the problem you describe. I use the Displaymate test software that has test patterns showing that show the 256 gray scale and color scales. The gray scale and color scale test shows a smooth transition thoughout the 256 shades.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer

October 8, 2001 11:33:49 PM

First off let me just say it's really cool that you can do that stuff. I haven't seen any reviews of the fujitsu's, but have seen reveiws of others liek teh Viewsonic VP150m.

October 9, 2001 4:52:12 PM

I review and evaluate monitors and monitor technology for a living, its my job.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer

October 9, 2001 7:42:06 PM

Do you review any monitors you wish?

!