Win 8 For me..Advice?

ttomm46

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
I have a 10 month old Acer desktop running win 7..I also have an AMD motherboard with an APU that has HD6530D graphics..

One thing though I have no touch screen......Microsoft is offering win 8 pro download for 39.95........Should I up grade and if so will most games and programs be compatible
Tom :bounce:

Hi :)

Nobody really knows if its more secure yet, until the Virus writers get to work on it....

It starts a machine faster, that's for sure, but how many times do you start your machine per day... lol

I own Computer shops and ALL our machines are still on 7 (and as an MS Partner we get 8 for free), which should tell you something...

All the best Brett :)

What you may want to do is set up a trial version of Windows 8 Enterprise on a separate machine, or in a virtual system and try it out first. The $40 promo price will be around for a couple more months so you have some time to try it out.

You can get the 90 evaluation here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-ca/evalcenter/jj554510.aspx

Keep in mind that you cannot buy a serial and activate this version after the 90 days are up. You will have to wipe the system out, so do NOT put this on a machine that you need to keep intact.

You won't see any significant difference performance wise. Windows 8 is nice, metro is cool for tablets, or a Start Menu replacement. If you learn gestures it's very, very easy to use Metro.

You can use this to bring the Start Menu back too, it's only 5 dollars. http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Windows 8 does load really fast and have some new features, but I don't think you need it honestly.

I bought it since it was only 40 dollars which for Windows is incredibly good deal.

-If your machine is 7 months old, then you will most likely have proper driver support from your vendor and windows 8. I would not think that would be a issue.

- If you have a 64 bit windows 7, then you have already hit most of your game issues that you would have hit. (games trying to access video memory beyond the 32 bit address space)

- If you have 32 bit window 7 the upgrade will put 32 bit windows 8 on your system
unless you do some fancy footwork to change that. So you would end up with 32 bit windows 8 anyway and your programs would pretty much have the same compatibility issues they had before.

So why upgrade?

-There are some features that are better, boots faster, lots of internal changes that you will not care about. (changes that will make it harder to hack for example)

-The system also has been changed to reduce battery use on laptops. Devices go to lower power states quicker.

-I got my copy because of the price ($39) and I wanted to check out the system.

For me it works better than Windows 7, and I really like some features: like being able to put the OS on a thumb drive with all my apps, come to another computer and boot that sucker on my thumb drive without having to modify the host computer. My thumb drive now has booted 4 different computers.