Under 1000

alex

I've loved photography for a few years now but find with my Sony D9 P&S I
feel I'm somewhat limited. I'm looking for a camera that gives me more
options and control over the settings and one that will allow me to change
lenses. I went out to a wetlands centre the other day and would have loved
to have a telephoto lens to capture some distance shots but I'm afraid my
Sony just didn't cut it.

I know I can get a P&S that has better telephono options but I would like a
more professional camera, one that I can grow with. I've been looking at
the Nikon D70 but it's a big investment and I want to be sure I'm making the
right choice. Another one I just started looking at is the Canon D20. Then
I thought about the Canon 300D, it's cheaper and I could invest more money
in good acessories such as lenses.

I was hoping experienced users or someone with knowledge of these or other
cameras to consider would talk about their experiences so I could make a
more informed choice.

Thanks for responding Marvin.

Regards,

Alexandra

Alex,

I've owned 4 digital cameras and still have 3 of them, but I use an Olympus
E-20 almost all the time. One reason I bought the E-20 was that the lens is
not removable and thus dust and other detrimental stuff does not get inside
the camera, and I liked the quality of the photos. I do use a wide angle
lens, a telephoto lens, and various filters that are screwed on the lens of
the E-20. If I were a professional photographer, I might need a removal
lens camera since there would be more available types of lens.

Another reason for my buying the Olympus E-20 was that I hate trying to get
a shot composed through a LED monitor on the back of a camera. The E-20 as
an SLR type setup where you compose the photo by viewing through the lens.
The E20 also can take TIFF and RAW photos up to 15 MB in size. They make
some nice sized portraits.

The E-20 has most all the usual type of settings that can be set manually
for MACRO, exposure, macro, metering, flash, night shots, etc.

I still occasionally use some of my older digital cameras as a backup. One
has a 14x optical zoom that comes in handy for shots of wild animals in
Africa.

There are many good digital cameras on the market, and they are getting
better all the time, but I've been satisfied with this E-20.

My first camera was a film camera, Argus C3 (1950's 35 MM), that I still
have and never use. The negatives have greatly deteriorated since 1950. For
me digital is the only way to go.

I'm not sure I want the new Olympus E-1 with removable lenses, because of
the expense of buying lens.

Regards,

http://www1.hagenhosting.com/~naborswe/australia/australiaindex.html

Bob

"Alex" <klex1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> I've loved photography for a few years now but find with my Sony D9 P&S I
> feel I'm somewhat limited. I'm looking for a camera that gives me more
> options and control over the settings and one that will allow me to change
> lenses. I went out to a wetlands centre the other day and would have
loved
> to have a telephoto lens to capture some distance shots but I'm afraid my
> Sony just didn't cut it.
>
> I know I can get a P&S that has better telephono options but I would like
> more professional camera, one that I can grow with. I've been looking at
> the Nikon D70 but it's a big investment and I want to be sure I'm making
the
> right choice. Another one I just started looking at is the Canon D20.
Then
> I thought about the Canon 300D, it's cheaper and I could invest more money
> in good acessories such as lenses.
>
> I was hoping experienced users or someone with knowledge of these or other
> cameras to consider would talk about their experiences so I could make a
> more informed choice.
>
> Thanks for responding Marvin.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alexandra

I have a Sony F828 8 megapixel camera that has the ability to take a
photograph and enlarge the bejabbers out of it right in the camera. My 5
megapixel Sony F717 would do the same thing. Perhaps you could use the best
tele that the camera/lens has to offer and then enlarge it in the camera
thereby achieving a similar result.

"Alex" <klex1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> I've loved photography for a few years now but find with my Sony D9 P&S I
> feel I'm somewhat limited. I'm looking for a camera that gives me more
> options and control over the settings and one that will allow me to change
> lenses. I went out to a wetlands centre the other day and would have
loved
> to have a telephoto lens to capture some distance shots but I'm afraid my
> Sony just didn't cut it.
>
> I know I can get a P&S that has better telephono options but I would like
> more professional camera, one that I can grow with. I've been looking at
> the Nikon D70 but it's a big investment and I want to be sure I'm making
the
> right choice. Another one I just started looking at is the Canon D20.
Then
> I thought about the Canon 300D, it's cheaper and I could invest more money
> in good acessories such as lenses.
>
> I was hoping experienced users or someone with knowledge of these or other
> cameras to consider would talk about their experiences so I could make a
> more informed choice.
>
> Thanks for responding Marvin.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alexandra

alex

Thanks for replying guys. But I'm really interested in something I can
change lenses with. I want to invest in a camera I can grow with, if I want
to work with a wide angle lens or anything else I'll be able to buy them
when I've learned enough about the camera to move up. I'm hoping that a
good investment now will mean years of use, the last thing I want is to have
to invest again later because I'm limited.

Cheers,
Alex

"Ed Mullikin" <edmull2@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have a Sony F828 8 megapixel camera that has the ability to take a
> photograph and enlarge the bejabbers out of it right in the camera. My 5
> megapixel Sony F717 would do the same thing. Perhaps you could use the
> best
> tele that the camera/lens has to offer and then enlarge it in the camera
> thereby achieving a similar result.
>

> "Alex" <klex1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> I've loved photography for a few years now but find with my Sony D9 P&S I
>> feel I'm somewhat limited. I'm looking for a camera that gives me more
>> options and control over the settings and one that will allow me to
>> change
>> lenses. I went out to a wetlands centre the other day and would have
> loved
>> to have a telephoto lens to capture some distance shots but I'm afraid my
>> Sony just didn't cut it.
>>
>> I know I can get a P&S that has better telephono options but I would like
>> more professional camera, one that I can grow with. I've been looking at
>> the Nikon D70 but it's a big investment and I want to be sure I'm making
> the
>> right choice. Another one I just started looking at is the Canon D20.
> Then
>> I thought about the Canon 300D, it's cheaper and I could invest more
>> money
>> in good acessories such as lenses.
>>
>> I was hoping experienced users or someone with knowledge of these or
>> other
>> cameras to consider would talk about their experiences so I could make a
>> more informed choice.
>>
>> Thanks for responding Marvin.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Alexandra

One word of caution, Alex. The technology is still not where film
technology was when digital came along. If you pay a lot of money for a
camera you can grow with, you might find your rather expensive camera
(whatever brand you chose) obsolete in a very short time. I went from a one
to a five to an eight megapixel in a period of three years.

> Thanks for replying guys. But I'm really interested in something I can
> change lenses with. I want to invest in a camera I can grow with, if I
want
> to work with a wide angle lens or anything else I'll be able to buy them
> when I've learned enough about the camera to move up. I'm hoping that a
> good investment now will mean years of use, the last thing I want is to
have
> to invest again later because I'm limited.
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
>

> "Ed Mullikin" <edmull2@cox.net> wrote in message
> >I have a Sony F828 8 megapixel camera that has the ability to take a
> > photograph and enlarge the bejabbers out of it right in the camera. My
5
> > megapixel Sony F717 would do the same thing. Perhaps you could use the
> > best
> > tele that the camera/lens has to offer and then enlarge it in the camera
> > thereby achieving a similar result.
> >

> > "Alex" <klex1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> >> I've loved photography for a few years now but find with my Sony D9 P&S
> >> feel I'm somewhat limited. I'm looking for a camera that gives me more
> >> options and control over the settings and one that will allow me to
> >> change
> >> lenses. I went out to a wetlands centre the other day and would have
> > loved
> >> to have a telephoto lens to capture some distance shots but I'm afraid
my
> >> Sony just didn't cut it.
> >>
> >> I know I can get a P&S that has better telephono options but I would
like
> >> more professional camera, one that I can grow with. I've been looking
at
> >> the Nikon D70 but it's a big investment and I want to be sure I'm
making
> > the
> >> right choice. Another one I just started looking at is the Canon D20.
> > Then
> >> I thought about the Canon 300D, it's cheaper and I could invest more
> >> money
> >> in good acessories such as lenses.
> >>
> >> I was hoping experienced users or someone with knowledge of these or
> >> other
> >> cameras to consider would talk about their experiences so I could make
> >> more informed choice.
> >>
> >> Thanks for responding Marvin.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Alexandra

Alan

"Alex" <klex1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
> I've loved photography for a few years now but find with my Sony D9 P&S I
> feel I'm somewhat limited. I'm looking for a camera that gives me more
> options and control over the settings and one that will allow me to change
> lenses. I went out to a wetlands centre the other day and would have
loved
> to have a telephoto lens to capture some distance shots but I'm afraid my
> Sony just didn't cut it.
>
> I know I can get a P&S that has better telephono options but I would like
> more professional camera, one that I can grow with. I've been looking at
> the Nikon D70 but it's a big investment and I want to be sure I'm making
the
> right choice. Another one I just started looking at is the Canon D20.
Then
> I thought about the Canon 300D, it's cheaper and I could invest more money
> in good acessories such as lenses.
>
> I was hoping experienced users or someone with knowledge of these or other
> cameras to consider would talk about their experiences so I could make a
> more informed choice.
>
> Thanks for responding Marvin.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alexandra

Alex,

Check out the various forums at www.dpreview.com to see what users of each
system are doing.
I have a 300D and have a 20D on order also. I love the flexibility that SLR
gives, but find that it is just too big to bring everywhere, so recently
I've bought a Canon A75 P&S for those times.

The 20D looks like a great camera. I was considering buying a 10D anyway as
a second digital body, but the 20D offers far more.

Alan.

alex

Thanks Alan,
Thanks for the suggestion of the website, funnily enough I fell on that one
last week and spent about 5 hours reading about different cameras. That's
where I got excited about the Nikon D70. Both Canon's you mentioned look
fabulous, but I've gotta keep it under 1,000. Shame I couldn't take a trip
to the States right now, I'd buy them both!
Cheers,
Alex

"Alan" <alz_deane@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Alex" <klex1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> I've loved photography for a few years now but find with my Sony D9 P&S I
>> feel I'm somewhat limited. I'm looking for a camera that gives me more
>> options and control over the settings and one that will allow me to
>> change
>> lenses. I went out to a wetlands centre the other day and would have
> loved
>> to have a telephoto lens to capture some distance shots but I'm afraid my
>> Sony just didn't cut it.
>>
>> I know I can get a P&S that has better telephono options but I would like
>> more professional camera, one that I can grow with. I've been looking at
>> the Nikon D70 but it's a big investment and I want to be sure I'm making
> the
>> right choice. Another one I just started looking at is the Canon D20.
> Then
>> I thought about the Canon 300D, it's cheaper and I could invest more
>> money
>> in good acessories such as lenses.
>>
>> I was hoping experienced users or someone with knowledge of these or
>> other
>> cameras to consider would talk about their experiences so I could make a
>> more informed choice.
>>
>> Thanks for responding Marvin.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Alexandra
>>

> Alex,
>
> Check out the various forums at www.dpreview.com to see what users of each
> system are doing.
> I have a 300D and have a 20D on order also. I love the flexibility that
> SLR
> gives, but find that it is just too big to bring everywhere, so recently
> I've bought a Canon A75 P&S for those times.
>
> The 20D looks like a great camera. I was considering buying a 10D anyway
> as
> a second digital body, but the 20D offers far more.
>
> Alan.

alex

Thanks Ed for that advice. I'm just wondering if I'll ever need any more
than 6 or so mps. The largest I ever print is A4 and my Sony with 4.1 mps
seems to manage that well. Let me ask you Ed, for under 1000 dollars or
pounds for a digital slr which camera would you recommend? I am seriously
open to suggestions so long as it's not a P&S camera. Thing is, they all
seem to be around the same price to me, some well over what I can afford to
pay right now.

> One word of caution, Alex. The technology is still not where film
> technology was when digital came along. If you pay a lot of money for a
> camera you can grow with, you might find your rather expensive camera
> (whatever brand you chose) obsolete in a very short time. I went from a
> one
> to a five to an eight megapixel in a period of three years.
>
> "Alex" <klex1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for replying guys. But I'm really interested in something I can
>> change lenses with. I want to invest in a camera I can grow with, if I
> want
>> to work with a wide angle lens or anything else I'll be able to buy them
>> when I've learned enough about the camera to move up. I'm hoping that a
>> good investment now will mean years of use, the last thing I want is to
> have
>> to invest again later because I'm limited.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alex
>>

>> "Ed Mullikin" <edmull2@cox.net> wrote in message
>> >I have a Sony F828 8 megapixel camera that has the ability to take a
>> > photograph and enlarge the bejabbers out of it right in the camera. My
> 5
>> > megapixel Sony F717 would do the same thing. Perhaps you could use the
>> > best
>> > tele that the camera/lens has to offer and then enlarge it in the
>> > camera
>> > thereby achieving a similar result.
>> >

>> > "Alex" <klex1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> > loved
> my

> like
> at
> making
>> > the
>> > Then

Look at the new Pentax *ist D 6.1 Megapixel SLR
http://www2.butterflyphoto.com/shop/product.aspx?ref=dealtime&sku=PEN-IST