Two Layers DVD Burner?

BK

This is the right NG to seek advice on buying an external DVD burner for Win98SE
and WinXP?

"BK" <bk123@northern.net> wrote in message

> This is the right NG to seek advice on buying an external DVD burner for
Win98SE
> and WinXP?

There's knowledgable folk here for that. However, if you just input "dvd"
into the newsgroup reader to locate a more appropriate newsgroup.

It might be a stretch, but this NG will work. I just picked up a Sony DRX
710UL at Costco for $149. Just the day before I had bought one for my
employer at Staples for $229 so I know the Costco deal is pretty good. The
drawback is that Costco won't work for the current $30 rebate as they aren't
listed on the rebate form but at that price you are doing good anyway.
Several people at work use these units and they are pleased with them. It
is a 4x dual layer+R burner and a 16X single layer burner.

--Dan

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 07:55:18 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:

>It might be a stretch, but this NG will work. I just picked up a Sony DRX
>710UL at Costco for $149. Just the day before I had bought one for my
>employer at Staples for $229 so I know the Costco deal is pretty good. The
>drawback is that Costco won't work for the current $30 rebate as they aren't
>listed on the rebate form but at that price you are doing good anyway.
>Several people at work use these units and they are pleased with them. It
>is a 4x dual layer+R burner and a 16X single layer burner.
>
>--Dan

About two weeks ago in Ebay, an External Sony DRX 710UL was old for $70+, I did
not bid as my other computer's OS Win98SE. I need an external DVD that will work
with Win98SE and WinXP. Anyway how is Sony compare to NEC or Pansonic?

Thanks

>"BK" <bk123@northern.net> wrote in message
>>
>> This is the right NG to seek advice on buying an external DVD burner for
>Win98SE
>> and WinXP?

Am I missing something, does the DRX 710UL not work with Win98SE? As to the
brand comparison, its hard to say what is better as often the drives are not
manufactured by the brand listed on the label. I have an internal Sony DVD
drive that is really a liteon, just labeled as a Sony.

--Dan

> About two weeks ago in Ebay, an External Sony DRX 710UL was old for $70+,
> I did
> not bid as my other computer's OS Win98SE. I need an external DVD that
> will work
> with Win98SE and WinXP. Anyway how is Sony compare to NEC or Pansonic?
>
> Thanks

BK

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:33:49 GMT, "dg" <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:

Sony DRX710UL is compatible with Win2K and WinXP and Sony DRX510UL compatiable
with Win98SE, Win2K, Me, and WinXP.

>Am I missing something, does the DRX 710UL not work with Win98SE? As to the
>brand comparison, its hard to say what is better as often the drives are not
>manufactured by the brand listed on the label. I have an internal Sony DVD
>drive that is really a liteon, just labeled as a Sony.
>
>--Dan
>
>"BK" <bk123@northern.net> wrote in message
>> About two weeks ago in Ebay, an External Sony DRX 710UL was old for $70+,
>> I did
>> not bid as my other computer's OS Win98SE. I need an external DVD that
>> will work
>> with Win98SE and WinXP. Anyway how is Sony compare to NEC or Pansonic?
>>
>> Thanks

Almost all external USB or FW DVD burners will work from 98 on up to XP!
Just because it wasn't spec'd for it doesn't mean it won't work - most
likely, it will. Why? Almost all drives respons to the standard
ASPI/etc. commands needed to control them, and as long as the BURNER
program is updated to the latest version (eg. Nero works well), it'll
most likely support just about every burner out there whether internally
or externally.

I am guessing that maybe the SOFTWARE is not compatible. I use my 710 with
XP, but I didn't even install the software that came with it as all of the
software I use works just fine with the drive. It would be really odd if
the hardware didnt work with 98, but stranger things have happened. I
upgraded somebodies PC to w2k once and a CD burner (internal) quit working.
A little googling later I had found that this was a KNOWN issue. It was
just not compatible with w2k.

But in this case, its most likely the software. I can check with mine if
anybody really wants to know.

--Dan