fireball 3 disk swop

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Has any one any knowledge / success at swapping the disk in a hard drive.
My maxtor Fireball 3 40gb suffered mechanical failure so I want to put the
disk in an identical drive.
Is this possible?
It seems that as soon as you remove the cover from a hard drive it never
works again
Any one any experience / success
Thanks
phil

Phil <worldservice@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> Has any one any knowledge / success at swapping the disk in a hard drive.
> My maxtor Fireball 3 40gb suffered mechanical failure so I want to put the
> disk in an identical drive.
> Is this possible?

Its physically possible, but you cant usually read the data afterwards.

> It seems that as soon as you remove the cover from a hard drive it never works
> again

Its not quite that bad, but its technically very difficult to
replace the platter and have the tracks not eccentric etc.

> Any one any experience / success

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

removing and replacing the disk is easy but how do you get it to read again?

> removing and replacing the disk is easy

It aint necessarily that easy, particulary when its got more than one platter.

> but how do you get it to read again?

The short story is that you usually cant.

When manufactured, the tracks are written on the platters
after the platter is in the drive. There is no way to do that
if you replace the platter and it would lose the data anyway.

Its not trivial to mount the platter so the tracks arent eccentric.
The track spacing is very fine.