Where to get Day of Defeat ?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 4, 2005 3:09:50 PM

I bought HL2 when it first came out. Just HL2 with CS... so no DoD.

Where/how do I get it?

More about : day defeat

May 4, 2005 4:25:52 PM

Brad wrote:
> I bought HL2 when it first came out. Just HL2 with CS... so no DoD.
>
> Where/how do I get it?

Day of Defeat: SOurce is not released yet. If you rlooking for the
original, you can get he download from the Steam - Play Games window.
DoD will be listed there and you can select it to get the full download
of it. If you are broadband enabled as it's about 350-400mb.

hth

--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com

"Brad" <none@invalid.com> wrote in message
> I bought HL2 when it first came out. Just HL2 with CS... so no DoD.
>
> Where/how do I get it?

DoD source is not yet released. Patience is a virtue.
May 4, 2005 8:04:11 PM

> Ehh, not that easy son.

Almost

> The dude said he bought HL2 with CS. That implies either the standard

> retail or Bronze steam packages. They do NOT come with Valve's back
> catalogue. Don't give him false information.

If OP has a HL key he can get DOD for HL from Steam

rgds
May 5, 2005 3:10:18 AM

Here...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009AOC...
-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl63/002-8667271-1316863?v=glance&s=videogames&n=50784
6

--
Thanks,
Andrew Makinson

www.evcomputing.com
http://www.iowcomputers.net/forum/index.php

"Brad" <none@invalid.com> wrote in message
> I bought HL2 when it first came out. Just HL2 with CS... so no DoD.
>
> Where/how do I get it?

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 3:54:24 AM

Now that was an really awfull advice if I may say so
Any CDKey HL, CS or GC (or DOD?) gets you the full backcatalog on
Steam, except for CZ

Paying $28 for DOD? You must be out of your mind
You can HL for $10 and DoD is a free mod!
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 8:45:27 AM

Sascha Wuestemann wrote:

> That describes the times of HL. I used to play the DoD mod a long
time
> until all servers disappeared and sierra refuesed to support.

DoD runs excellent on Steam servers these days
As I write this you have ~ 4.000 players playing DoD on ~ 2.500 servers
http://www.steampowered.com/status/game_stats.html

> Fortunateley I have collected mods and updates and do have a backup
of
> it, so that I was able to make a fresh install of HL for singleplayer
on
> a new computer.

You can still play your HL MP and MP Mods online

> Compare this to the upcoming times when steam service is refused. All
> pretty HL2 installs and mod won't work anymore, right?

You couldn't be more wrong
You can still play your HL MP and MP Mods online

2.5 mill people on the average plays HL and HL2 MP games per month
Where CS 1.6 is the largest MP game of them 4 times as many players as
CS:S (of HL2) and 100 times as many players as HL2DM
CS 1.6 is a HL Mod and is derived from CS 1.5 as you had on the WON
servers supported by Sierra
Valve has taken these MP games with them into a new age

I know many prefer the older version of CS above CS 1.6
There's a community working on having non Won, non Steam servers
alternative for CS 1.5

Eg:
http://www.no-won.net

steamless project:
http://www.steamlessproject.nl/won2/

Search Google for more!
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 11:19:19 AM

Sascha Wuestemann wrote:

> No HL2 and no Steam will ever reside on my harddrives until there is
HL2
> playable without any Steam.

Basically you have ruled out one third of all pc games
Ever considered an XBox?

HL2 is comming to the XBox anytime soon
Ohh I forgot its a Microsoft product that's not good very risci

A PS2 then? - comes with many excellent coop games where you can play
two players on a splitscreen
Nice toy and no hazzle and no risc
Remember to avoid the only thing - you never know
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 11:21:26 AM

Sascha Wuestemann wrote:

> > Eg:
> > http://www.no-won.net
> >
> > steamless project:
> > http://www.steamlessproject.nl/won2/
>
> That's excellent. Thank you very much. You made my day.

Basically you prefer an unreliable source rather than a reliable source
when it comes to downloading and installing software?

Your choice
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 12:15:21 PM

Jethro wrote:
> Brad wrote:
>
>> I bought HL2 when it first came out. Just HL2 with CS... so no DoD.
>>
>> Where/how do I get it?
>>
> Day of Defeat: SOurce is not released yet. If you rlooking for the
> original, you can get he download from the Steam - Play Games window.
> DoD will be listed there and you can select it to get the full download
> of it. If you are broadband enabled as it's about 350-400mb.
>
> hth

Ehh, not that easy son.

The dude said he bought HL2 with CS. That implies either the standard
retail or Bronze steam packages. They do NOT come with Valve's back
catalogue. Don't give him false information.
May 5, 2005 2:50:09 PM

GFree wrote:
> Jethro wrote:
>
>> Brad wrote:
>>
>>> I bought HL2 when it first came out. Just HL2 with CS... so no DoD.
>>>
>>> Where/how do I get it?
>>>
>> Day of Defeat: SOurce is not released yet. If you rlooking for the
>> original, you can get he download from the Steam - Play Games window.
>> DoD will be listed there and you can select it to get the full
>> download of it. If you are broadband enabled as it's about 350-400mb.
>>
>> hth
>>

> Ehh, not that easy son.
>
> The dude said he bought HL2 with CS. That implies either the standard
> retail or Bronze steam packages. They do NOT come with Valve's back
> catalogue. Don't give him false information.

Well I bought the retail HL2 with CS box and I can get DoD (non-source)
the same as I could before.
DoD is not part of the back catalogue. It was a free download the same
as CS was. Free is still free.
Now the new Sourced version is supposed to be for pay only as it's from
Valve now.
--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 5:10:21 PM

On 2005-05-05, Peter [AGHL] <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote:
> Paying $28 for DOD? You must be out of your mind
> You can HL for $10 and DoD is a free mod!

Hi.
That describes the times of HL. I used to play the DoD mod a long time
until all servers disappeared and sierra refuesed to support.
Fortunateley I have collected mods and updates and do have a backup of
it, so that I was able to make a fresh install of HL for singleplayer on
a new computer.

Compare this to the upcoming times when steam service is refused. All
pretty HL2 installs and mod won't work anymore, right?

cu
Sascha
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 7:17:40 PM

On 2005-05-05, Peter [AGHL] <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sascha Wuestemann wrote:
>
>> That describes the times of HL. I used to play the DoD mod a long
> time
>> until all servers disappeared and sierra refuesed to support.
>
> DoD runs excellent on Steam servers these days
> As I write this you have ~ 4.000 players playing DoD on ~ 2.500 servers
> http://www.steampowered.com/status/game_stats.html

No HL2 and no Steam will ever reside on my harddrives until there is HL2
playable without any Steam.

I am root and the master of my hard- and software and that's why steam
products are out of discussion ever.

> You can still play your HL MP and MP Mods online

So in between things have change. Well, I will have a look soon.
Thanks for the information.

>> Compare this to the upcoming times when steam service is refused. All
>> pretty HL2 installs and mod won't work anymore, right?
>
> You couldn't be more wrong
> You can still play your HL MP and MP Mods online

That goes for HL but for HL2, too?
I don't think so. I have heared that bugfixes also come through steam.
So, one day without steam, me installing HL2 and MP to a server without
any bugfixes me will be exploited. No, thanks.

> 2.5 mill people on the average plays HL and HL2 MP games per month
> Where CS 1.6 is the largest MP game of them 4 times as many players as
> CS:S (of HL2) and 100 times as many players as HL2DM

That shows 2.5 mill people have no mind and are addicted so that they
have no choice. I repeat myself in other words:
I will not allow Steam or whom ever to take control over my harddrive
online to play a singleplayer game offline I have already paid for. If
HL2 was a MP only I would not be so worried, though.

> CS 1.6 is a HL Mod and is derived from CS 1.5 as you had on the WON
> servers supported by Sierra
> Valve has taken these MP games with them into a new age
>
> I know many prefer the older version of CS above CS 1.6
> There's a community working on having non Won, non Steam servers
> alternative for CS 1.5
>
> Eg:
> http://www.no-won.net
>
> steamless project:
> http://www.steamlessproject.nl/won2/

That's excellent. Thank you very much. You made my day.

cu
Sascha
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 4:17:16 AM

Sascha Wuestemann wrote:

> You have pointed out exactly what I like - source. And if binary, I
> shield my pc by pulling the plug :-)

So I guess you're running Linux then?
Did you write your own compiler for compiing the kernel?

> And BTW, what makes steam reliable in your eyes?

Steam is just as reliable as any other software I am using
Most of it comes from MS

Have you proof of Steam not being reliable I'd like to know
Otherwise - well a bit difficult to take you seriously then

The only 100% security you can have is always disconnected from the
internet
Kind of boring isn't it?
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 6:05:14 AM