My computer can play all extentions except avi. Every
time I play an avi the computer either freezes or blue
screened. I have tried some avi to mpeg converters but
they also cause the system to freeze. What can I do?

Systems
xp home edition
sp1
mobile AMD Athlon(tm) 4 1600+
1.40GHz
352MB RAM
S3 graphics Twister k 7321

Any more details needed just ask...

An uncompressed AVI is about 12gb in size for every hour of footage.
Therefore 99.9% of AVIs you find online are compressed. In order for them
to be able to play, the correct codec with which they were original
compressed must be installed on the PC.

To find out which codec was used, download and install G-Spot Codec
Identifier.
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Once you've found out the necessary codec, download and install it and you
will be able to play the AVI.
www.coribright.com