External HD enclosure recommendations

Any reviews or recommendations on empty external HD enclosures? My
father's old computer is acting up (either a power supply or motherboard
issue.) He already has a recent laptop, and I'm trying to push him to
use that (it has XP, the old computer is WinME.) He is understandably
worried about putting some personal items on the laptop. I would like to
take the drive out of the old computer (a 5-year old, 40G, 7200 rpm,
Western Digital) and put it in an enclosure. That way, it will still
have the more sensitive information.

The drive does not have to be portable, as it will remain at home. The
laptop has both FireWire and USB2. Absolute speed isn't too important,
as it would be just stuff like Quicken data files, scanned
pictures/geaneology info, etc.. With Windows and programs deleted, there
is probably enough room to backup/image the laptop, too.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

In article <MPG.1c9fd3f7c2e2c9598968c@newsgroups.comcast.net>,
Andrew Rossmann <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:
> Any reviews or recommendations on empty external HD enclosures? My
>father's old computer is acting up (either a power supply or motherboard
>issue.) He already has a recent laptop, and I'm trying to push him to
>use that (it has XP, the old computer is WinME.) He is understandably
>worried about putting some personal items on the laptop. I would like to
>take the drive out of the old computer (a 5-year old, 40G, 7200 rpm,
>Western Digital) and put it in an enclosure. That way, it will still
>have the more sensitive information.
>
> The drive does not have to be portable, as it will remain at home. The
>laptop has both FireWire and USB2. Absolute speed isn't too important,
>as it would be just stuff like Quicken data files, scanned
>pictures/geaneology info, etc.. With Windows and programs deleted, there
>is probably enough room to backup/image the laptop, too.
>
>--
>If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying!
>All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the
>law!!
>http://home.att.net/~andyross

Make it a slave on the secondary IDE channel, inside the box.

once he's satisfied that fe's moved all his files off he can format
it fresh and use it as a target drive for image backups.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.