Bizarre USB issue... please help!

Hey guys - You are always all so good to me, so naturally I came running back when I had a problem, haha...

So I recently realized in the last week that my USB ports are no longer picking up any external devices. However, my mouse and keyboard function fine. I have done some windows updates and but other than that, no changes to the system... (this problem has happened seemingly out of the blue)

For example:

ipod - when plugged in, it auto detects, makes the noise and is visible both in itunes and device manager...
It now sits quietly and is not picked up..
external hard drive - normally picked up in device manager makes the lil noise...
Now it powers up but I can't find it in any devices or in "My Computer"

I am very confused as my mouse and keyboard work fine, but no other USB slots are picking up anything, I even have a PCI card with 5 USB slots that is not picking up anything either. This is all out of the blue and extremely confused, seems like a windows update disabled it or something...
Please let me know any advice as I am extremely aggravated and not in the mood to format lol...

p.s. I've tried unplugging from the wall and rebooting to reset the mobo... no luck

Thanks!
Brad
1 answer Last reply
More about bizarre issue help
  1. Try reinstalling the chipset, as it will reset the USB controllers. You can find the chipset at the mobo manufacturer's support site or the PC manufacturer's support site.
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers USB Windows 7