Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GPS advice wanted

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 2:21:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I have an Axim X5 and I am considering getting a GPS module for it. The
primary use would be for in-car navigation (both at home in the UK and
also in the US) and so I am looking for some advice.

1. Which is the better way to go hardware wise, CF or serial mouse. I
have looked at a Haicom CF module (HI-303MMF) that appears to allow both
modes so this might be a possibility. But which ever system I choose it
would need to be moveable from car to car.

2. Which is the best (cost v performance) software package? I would like
something that will work both sides of the pond and I always have the SD
slot for map storage so I can travel with a number of downloads if
required.

I also often travel with an office laptop so something that occasionally
works with this setup would be good. All OS are 2k or PPC2002.

From a price point of view buying in the US looks very favourable at the
moment. I can't see any hardware problems, but is there something I am
missing.

Thanks for any advice.
--
Simon Smith
mailto:simon@dancingbear.demon.co.uk
http://www.dancingbear.demon.co.uk/
"If I was in it for the money, I'd be a millionaire by now"

More about : gps advice wanted

Anonymous
May 11, 2004 11:30:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Simon Smith wrote:
> I have an Axim X5 and I am considering getting a GPS module for it.
> The primary use would be for in-car navigation (both at home in the
> UK and also in the US) and so I am looking for some advice.
>
> 1. Which is the better way to go hardware wise, CF or serial mouse. I
> have looked at a Haicom CF module (HI-303MMF) that appears to allow
> both modes so this might be a possibility. But which ever system I
> choose it would need to be moveable from car to car.
>
> 2. Which is the best (cost v performance) software package? I would
> like something that will work both sides of the pond and I always
> have the SD slot for map storage so I can travel with a number of
> downloads if required.
>
> I also often travel with an office laptop so something that
> occasionally works with this setup would be good. All OS are 2k or
> PPC2002.
>
> From a price point of view buying in the US looks very favourable at
> the moment. I can't see any hardware problems, but is there something
> I am missing.
>
> Thanks for any advice.

A Mouse type will be the better performer and much more practical in-car but
requires 12v power so cannot be used anywhere else. The 303MF is a good
option having both modes as well as compatability with the Bluetooth Slipper
should you later upgrade to a BT PocketPC.

In the software arena, the major players are TomTom, Navman, CoPilot and
Destinator, also consider Mapopolis. We have reviews of all of them. Only
CoPilot has a PC Client that can be used in GPS mode although CoPilot do
have a much better dedicated Laptop version available.

The GPS hardware and US software can be sourced in the US much more cheaply
but consider warranty issues, the UK software will only be available in
Europe though.


--
Darren Griffin
Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com
The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 2:44:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Go to www.gpsworldsupply .com and buy a Street Pilot or other dedicated GPS
for auto use.
They are made to do the job. Trying to use a handheld or laptop is not
worth the trouble.
You can't see the screen because of sunlight coming in the window.
PDA are just too small.
I have tried and have never been satisfied with the output from PDA and
laptops. You need a navigator to use either to even try to find your way
around any city.


"Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld" <darren@pocketgpsworld.invalid> wrote in
message news:o bsI5FyNEHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Simon Smith wrote:
> > I have an Axim X5 and I am considering getting a GPS module for it.
> > The primary use would be for in-car navigation (both at home in the
> > UK and also in the US) and so I am looking for some advice.
> >
> > 1. Which is the better way to go hardware wise, CF or serial mouse. I
> > have looked at a Haicom CF module (HI-303MMF) that appears to allow
> > both modes so this might be a possibility. But which ever system I
> > choose it would need to be moveable from car to car.
> >
> > 2. Which is the best (cost v performance) software package? I would
> > like something that will work both sides of the pond and I always
> > have the SD slot for map storage so I can travel with a number of
> > downloads if required.
> >
> > I also often travel with an office laptop so something that
> > occasionally works with this setup would be good. All OS are 2k or
> > PPC2002.
> >
> > From a price point of view buying in the US looks very favourable at
> > the moment. I can't see any hardware problems, but is there something
> > I am missing.
> >
> > Thanks for any advice.
>
> A Mouse type will be the better performer and much more practical in-car
but
> requires 12v power so cannot be used anywhere else. The 303MF is a good
> option having both modes as well as compatability with the Bluetooth
Slipper
> should you later upgrade to a BT PocketPC.
>
> In the software arena, the major players are TomTom, Navman, CoPilot and
> Destinator, also consider Mapopolis. We have reviews of all of them.
Only
> CoPilot has a PC Client that can be used in GPS mode although CoPilot do
> have a much better dedicated Laptop version available.
>
> The GPS hardware and US software can be sourced in the US much more
cheaply
> but consider warranty issues, the UK software will only be available in
> Europe though.
>
>
> --
> Darren Griffin
> Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com
> The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 9:05:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Agree with you totally. My 2215 is useless in the bright of day. I got a
Holus 270u and Street Atlas and it worked fine as long as I did not use
during the day. Went to a 700 for the car and alls well now.



"Emil Luca" <icbw500REMOVE@iupui.edu> wrote in message
news:u2bfC72NEHA.2468@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Go to www.gpsworldsupply .com and buy a Street Pilot or other dedicated
GPS
> for auto use.
> They are made to do the job. Trying to use a handheld or laptop is not
> worth the trouble.
> You can't see the screen because of sunlight coming in the window.
> PDA are just too small.
> I have tried and have never been satisfied with the output from PDA and
> laptops. You need a navigator to use either to even try to find your way
> around any city.
>
>
> "Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld" <darren@pocketgpsworld.invalid> wrote in
> message news:o bsI5FyNEHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > Simon Smith wrote:
> > > I have an Axim X5 and I am considering getting a GPS module for it.
> > > The primary use would be for in-car navigation (both at home in the
> > > UK and also in the US) and so I am looking for some advice.
> > >
> > > 1. Which is the better way to go hardware wise, CF or serial mouse. I
> > > have looked at a Haicom CF module (HI-303MMF) that appears to allow
> > > both modes so this might be a possibility. But which ever system I
> > > choose it would need to be moveable from car to car.
> > >
> > > 2. Which is the best (cost v performance) software package? I would
> > > like something that will work both sides of the pond and I always
> > > have the SD slot for map storage so I can travel with a number of
> > > downloads if required.
> > >
> > > I also often travel with an office laptop so something that
> > > occasionally works with this setup would be good. All OS are 2k or
> > > PPC2002.
> > >
> > > From a price point of view buying in the US looks very favourable at
> > > the moment. I can't see any hardware problems, but is there something
> > > I am missing.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any advice.
> >
> > A Mouse type will be the better performer and much more practical in-car
> but
> > requires 12v power so cannot be used anywhere else. The 303MF is a good
> > option having both modes as well as compatability with the Bluetooth
> Slipper
> > should you later upgrade to a BT PocketPC.
> >
> > In the software arena, the major players are TomTom, Navman, CoPilot and
> > Destinator, also consider Mapopolis. We have reviews of all of them.
> Only
> > CoPilot has a PC Client that can be used in GPS mode although CoPilot do
> > have a much better dedicated Laptop version available.
> >
> > The GPS hardware and US software can be sourced in the US much more
> cheaply
> > but consider warranty issues, the UK software will only be available in
> > Europe though.
> >
> >
> > --
> > Darren Griffin
> > Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com
> > The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 11:21:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Emil Luca wrote:
> Go to www.gpsworldsupply .com and buy a Street Pilot or other
> dedicated GPS for auto use.
> They are made to do the job. Trying to use a handheld or laptop is
> not worth the trouble.
> You can't see the screen because of sunlight coming in the window.
> PDA are just too small.
> I have tried and have never been satisfied with the output from PDA
> and laptops. You need a navigator to use either to even try to find
> your way around any city.

Rubbish, your reply serves to illustrate that you have never used one! A
h2210 running TomTom Navigator is as good as if not better than a 2610, has
support for custom POI's Safety Camera alerts, live traffic updates coming
soon and you still have the use of a PDA when not navigating, oh and about
£500 spare change too!
--
Darren Griffin
Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com
The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 9:17:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I must agree with Darren and disagree with Emil and FRG. I run TomTom on my
iPAQ 5555 and I have little problem with glare on the screen. (I also use a
screen protector but I don't know if that has anything to do with it or
not). I have it mounted on a winshield mount, pointing towards me. I only
have a little problem if the sun is coming in the driver window at a
particular angle, which doesn't happen too often. If so , just holding my
hand up clears that.

Betty (the lady what lives inside my iPAQ and tells me where to go) has been
invaluable getting me around this area going to places I've never been as
well as getting around backed up traffic areas, which around here are quite
a few and come more often than not.

Jim

"Emil Luca" <icbw500REMOVE@iupui.edu> wrote in message
news:u2bfC72NEHA.2468@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Go to www.gpsworldsupply .com and buy a Street Pilot or other dedicated
GPS
> for auto use.
> They are made to do the job. Trying to use a handheld or laptop is not
> worth the trouble.
> You can't see the screen because of sunlight coming in the window.
> PDA are just too small.
> I have tried and have never been satisfied with the output from PDA and
> laptops. You need a navigator to use either to even try to find your way
> around any city.
>
>
> "Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld" <darren@pocketgpsworld.invalid> wrote in
> message news:o bsI5FyNEHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > Simon Smith wrote:
> > > I have an Axim X5 and I am considering getting a GPS module for it.
> > > The primary use would be for in-car navigation (both at home in the
> > > UK and also in the US) and so I am looking for some advice.
> > >
> > > 1. Which is the better way to go hardware wise, CF or serial mouse. I
> > > have looked at a Haicom CF module (HI-303MMF) that appears to allow
> > > both modes so this might be a possibility. But which ever system I
> > > choose it would need to be moveable from car to car.
> > >
> > > 2. Which is the best (cost v performance) software package? I would
> > > like something that will work both sides of the pond and I always
> > > have the SD slot for map storage so I can travel with a number of
> > > downloads if required.
> > >
> > > I also often travel with an office laptop so something that
> > > occasionally works with this setup would be good. All OS are 2k or
> > > PPC2002.
> > >
> > > From a price point of view buying in the US looks very favourable at
> > > the moment. I can't see any hardware problems, but is there something
> > > I am missing.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any advice.
> >
> > A Mouse type will be the better performer and much more practical in-car
> but
> > requires 12v power so cannot be used anywhere else. The 303MF is a good
> > option having both modes as well as compatability with the Bluetooth
> Slipper
> > should you later upgrade to a BT PocketPC.
> >
> > In the software arena, the major players are TomTom, Navman, CoPilot and
> > Destinator, also consider Mapopolis. We have reviews of all of them.
> Only
> > CoPilot has a PC Client that can be used in GPS mode although CoPilot do
> > have a much better dedicated Laptop version available.
> >
> > The GPS hardware and US software can be sourced in the US much more
> cheaply
> > but consider warranty issues, the UK software will only be available in
> > Europe though.
> >
> >
> > --
> > Darren Griffin
> > Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com
> > The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 4:11:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I have used a Gateway laptop with a Garmin GPS76 map using Garmin Mapsource
and Windows Streets and Trips more times then I care to talk about. It is
clumsy and does have problems in direct sunlight. Two people in the car is
also the safest way also. I have used a Palm Pilot and it didn't work
easily at all either. I have not tried my iPaq5450 because I have better
things to do with it.
Anyway, anytime a dedicated device is used it is usually better. Handhelds
are good for geocaching.



--
Emil
"Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld" <darren@pocketgpsworld.invalid> wrote in
message news:o luBVT4NEHA.3304@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Emil Luca wrote:
> > Go to www.gpsworldsupply .com and buy a Street Pilot or other
> > dedicated GPS for auto use.
> > They are made to do the job. Trying to use a handheld or laptop is
> > not worth the trouble.
> > You can't see the screen because of sunlight coming in the window.
> > PDA are just too small.
> > I have tried and have never been satisfied with the output from PDA
> > and laptops. You need a navigator to use either to even try to find
> > your way around any city.
>
> Rubbish, your reply serves to illustrate that you have never used one! A
> h2210 running TomTom Navigator is as good as if not better than a 2610,
has
> support for custom POI's Safety Camera alerts, live traffic updates coming
> soon and you still have the use of a PDA when not navigating, oh and about
> £500 spare change too!
> --
> Darren Griffin
> Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com
> The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums
>
>
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 7:29:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

In article <#TzZiQEOEHA.808@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
icbw500REMOVE@iupui.edu says...
> I have used a Gateway laptop with a Garmin GPS76 map using Garmin Mapsource
> and Windows Streets and Trips more times then I care to talk about. It is
> clumsy and does have problems in direct sunlight. Two people in the car is
> also the safest way also. I have used a Palm Pilot and it didn't work
> easily at all either. I have not tried my iPaq5450 because I have better
> things to do with it.

I use my 5455 on my bike without problems. Matter of fact here is a
photo of it on the bike:

http://www.cotse.net/users/steve/ipaq.jpg

The bike it's mounted on is in this picture:

http://www.cotse.net/users/steve/myoffice.jpg

The picture of the ipaq was taken late in the day and on a different day
than the bike photo, but it's still easy to see in direct sunlight. My
friend's StreetPilot III washes out in the same direct sunlight. I
chose to use the ipaq because it is so good in direct sunlight and the
fact that I can use it for Internet access via bluetooth to my cell,
mp3's, and other features all in one. That it will play mp3's in the
background while working the gps was a huge bonus to me on the bike.
Plus the ability not to be locked to one specific gps app is great.

/steve
--
Protect yourself on-line. Hide your identifying details in e-mail,
usenet, and more. A privacy service like no other.
No one gives you more control over your e-mail than we do!
http://www.cotse.net/servicedetails.html
Anonymous
May 12, 2004 11:14:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Emil Luca wrote:
> I have used a Gateway laptop with a Garmin GPS76 map using Garmin
> Mapsource and Windows Streets and Trips more times then I care to
> talk about. It is clumsy and does have problems in direct sunlight.
> Two people in the car is also the safest way also. I have used a
> Palm Pilot and it didn't work easily at all either. I have not tried
> my iPaq5450 because I have better things to do with it.
> Anyway, anytime a dedicated device is used it is usually better.
> Handhelds are good for geocaching.

A laptop and Streets & Trips is incomparable with a PocketPC running a good
street nav application. I suggest you find someone who has a recent PPC
with a good screen (e.g. any of the latest iPAQ's) with TomTom Navigator,
Destinator, CoPilot or a number of others and ask for a demonstration.

If you can name a dedicated portable in-car GPS that provides the ability to
navigate to a Post Code, provides voice, can also be used with
Topographical, marine or aviation maps, dataloggers, community POI databases
and provides the ability to alert you as you approach a speed camera then
It's one I have never heard of!

If you visit our website you will see just how good these applications now
are and find that many thousands of users find them invaluable :) 
--
Darren Griffin
Pocket GPS World - http://www.pocketgpsworld.com
The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums
Anonymous
May 13, 2004 3:17:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thanks for the suggestions about other dedicated GPS solutions, but as I
already travel with a Laptop, Electronics tool kit, PDA and a cell-phone
another piece of equipment is OTT.

So back to the original question: what PDA add-on is the route to go? I
still think the Haicom CF module (HI-303MMF) looks the most promising
from reviews read, but what about real-life?

Thanks again.

In message <uPqZozEOEHA.2244@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, Darren Griffin -
PocketGPSWorld <darren@pocketgpsworld.invalid> writes
>Emil Luca wrote:
>> I have used a Gateway laptop with a Garmin GPS76 map using Garmin
>> Mapsource and Windows Streets and Trips more times then I care to
>> talk about. It is clumsy and does have problems in direct sunlight.
>> Two people in the car is also the safest way also. I have used a
>> Palm Pilot and it didn't work easily at all either. I have not tried
>> my iPaq5450 because I have better things to do with it.
>> Anyway, anytime a dedicated device is used it is usually better.
>> Handhelds are good for geocaching.
>
>A laptop and Streets & Trips is incomparable with a PocketPC running a good
>street nav application. I suggest you find someone who has a recent PPC
>with a good screen (e.g. any of the latest iPAQ's) with TomTom Navigator,
>Destinator, CoPilot or a number of others and ask for a demonstration.
>
>If you can name a dedicated portable in-car GPS that provides the ability to
>navigate to a Post Code, provides voice, can also be used with
>Topographical, marine or aviation maps, dataloggers, community POI databases
>and provides the ability to alert you as you approach a speed camera then
>It's one I have never heard of!
>
>If you visit our website you will see just how good these applications now
>are and find that many thousands of users find them invaluable :) 

--
Simon Smith
mailto:simon@dancingbear.demon.co.uk
http://www.dancingbear.demon.co.uk/
"If I was in it for the money, I'd be a millionaire by now"
!