The First Intel Ivy Bridge CPU Clock Speeds and More

Status
Not open for further replies.

Area51

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I wonder if with the LV version of the CPU it would be possible to run a system without a CPU Fan or not. That would make a great home entertainment system.

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
can't wait... kinda upset it got pushed back to April release now... but I'm resolved to wait until these bad boys come out until upgrading.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
There is no reason to upgrade over the LAST generation i5 and i7. Hell, I will even say people with a second generation phenom have no incentive to upgrade. We are talking the neighborhood of 1-5 FPS differences in high resolution gaming across three generations.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]pbrigido[/nom]As much as I would love to upgrade to an Ivy Bridge CPU, I can't seem to justify replacing my 2600k i7.[/citation]

That's the reason I didn't upgrade from my i7-960 to Sandy - which was VERY, VERY hard to not do. But I have purposely waited in my upgrading until Ivy. Looks like my wait will be VERY well worth it.

Nice! finally some numbers.
looks like they got lower tdp (take note, zambezi), 2700k-like speeds.
even the lower end i5s have at least 3 gigs of min. freq. that, combined with the die-shrink should get some strong numbers. r.i.p. i5 2300!
all the good things have already been said, now caveats:
why are the high end cpus only the ones with hd 4000? most people buying those cpus won't end up using them anyway. i hope that intel will release lower end cpus with hd4000 later.
why do the cpu model numbers look so similar to amd's old radeon hd cards? :p
why is the tdp so low? that alone makes ivy bridge a much less powerful cpu than amd's mighty fx 8150!!! muahahaha.....ha...

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]sinfulpotato[/nom]There is no reason to upgrade over the LAST generation i5 and i7. Hell, I will even say people with a second generation phenom have no incentive to upgrade. We are talking the neighborhood of 1-5 FPS differences in high resolution gaming across three generations.[/citation]
Everything isn't just gaming!! :D
[citation][nom]lasaldude[/nom]These are LGA 1155 right? Not that stupid 2011 shit![/citation]
Yes, these are. From a workstation p.o.v LGA 2011 isn't exactly stupid, mind you.

G

I'm more interested in this platform on a laptop/ultrabook. The upgraded GPU will come in handy there as I finally plan to just buy a laptop without the video card and will instead spend on an SSD. I should nearly double my battery life by doing so. I suspect a 9 cell battery with an IvyBridge CPU/GPU and an SSD should last me the entire day. While it would be heavier than a tablet, it could do everything I ever wanted to do in Ultrabook form factor including engineering work.

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
I'm very disapointed by the fact that we don't have 8 and 16 core desktop processors by now... I mean come on! we have 4 core cpus from like 3-4 years now and still most of the new cpus are 4 core.

Is that becouse Intel don't feel any pressure from AMD? Personally I don't belive that Intel with it's multi billion budget and great sandy and now Ivy bridge architecture is not capable of making 16 core desktop cpu...

sethusmaximus

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
I'm most curious about the pricing... I feel like Intel might be a little too comfortable right now to price these reasonably/competitively.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
4 Threads still!

Seems somewhat logical, when we struggle to get decent value from 2.

It seems somewhat retarded (and I like AMD, from a consumer pov) to add tons of cores (and more threads).

verbalizer

Distinguished
OK now show me some PRICING and THEN show me some BENCHES in relation to the i5-2500K and the i7-2600K.
Please do not mention any AMD Bulldozer (FX-8150) comparisons, that's a waste of time.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
You can see by the comments who uses multiple threads and who doesn't. Believe it or not, there are people out there that can and WILL utilize more than 8 threads (and indeed, more than 16) if that becomes available. Very disappointed that there isn't at least a 6 or 8 core Ivy Bridge from the get go.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
[citation][nom]malmental[/nom]OK now show me some PRICING and THEN show me some BENCHES in relation to the i5-2500K and the i7-2600K.Please do not mention any AMD Bulldozer (FX-8150) comparisons, that's a waste of time.[/citation]

The Bulldozer platform is not a bad if it came in an Opteron Platform. Multi-Core CPU's are great for virtual server builds.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]tmk221[/nom]I'm very disapointed by the fact that we don't have 8 and 16 core desktop processors by now... I mean come on! we have 4 core cpus from like 3-4 years now and still most of the new cpus are 4 core. Is that becouse Intel don't feel any pressure from AMD? Personally I don't belive that Intel with it's multi billion budget and great sandy and now Ivy bridge architecture is not capable of making 16 core desktop cpu...[/citation]
The problem isn't Intel or AMD not being able to make higher core processors, just look at the server processors, they have 12 and 16 cores. But the server software is designed to utilize them. The consumer market is not. It's the software dictating the hardware in this case.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]i hate it when companies try to take advantage of using the latest buzzword to promote something. AMD is bad for this too with its HD internet technology or whatever it really is[/citation]
What are you on about? It's called a 3D transistor it allows the gate to control the source-drain channel using 3 surfaces instead of just 1.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
It's lame that you have to buy the mid-price 3770 to get a K series Ivy Bridge. Why would I want to pay for the higher 3.4 ghz base clock when it's the exact same silicon as the 3.0 ghz chip? I'm going to overclock way beyond that anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.