Drive very slow. Interrupts Time Placeholder?

JM

I have three internal hard drives, listed below:

HD0 - SATA - WDC WD360GD-00FNA0 (Raptor 37GB)
HD1 - IDE - Maxtor 6Y250P0 (250GB)
HD2 - IDE - WDC WD1200JB-00EVA0 (120GB)

When I copy files from my external USB2 hard drive to HD0 or HD2, it is
really fast, and the processor is near idle. But when I do the exact same
thing to HD1, it is VERY slow (like 100x slower), and the processor graph is
maxed out. The strange thing is that while the task manager processor graph
shows the activity (and heat starts building up to the point that the
machine shuts down), the process list shows "system idle process" near 98%.
But using TaskInfo (shareware), I determined that the "Interrupts Time
Processor" process is the culprit.. it's at 100% during the file copy.

Does anyone know what this is, and what I can do about it? The S.M.A.R.T
stats on all drives (incl HD1) all check out as healthy.

Dell PE 400SC \ Intel Pent4 2.8Ghz HT \ WinXP Pro SP2 \ 1GB PC3200

Thanks!

Julie

peter

> I have three internal hard drives, listed below:
>
> HD0 - SATA - WDC WD360GD-00FNA0 (Raptor 37GB)
> HD1 - IDE - Maxtor 6Y250P0 (250GB)
> HD2 - IDE - WDC WD1200JB-00EVA0 (120GB)

Where are HDs connected?
(SATA0, SATA1, IDE1-master, IDE1-slave, IDE2-master, IDE2-slave)
Are there any other IDE devices in your server?

Do you know that manual says:
Two 1-inch IDE, SATA (when available), or SCSI internal hard drives
NOTE: Hard-drive bus types cannot be mixed. Both drives must use
the same bus type.

> When I copy files from my external USB2 hard drive to HD0 or HD2, it is
> really fast, and the processor is near idle. But when I do the exact same
> thing to HD1, it is VERY slow (like 100x slower), and the processor graph
is
> maxed out. The strange thing is that while the task manager processor
graph
> shows the activity (and heat starts building up to the point that the
> machine shuts down), the process list shows "system idle process" near
98%.
> But using TaskInfo (shareware), I determined that the "Interrupts Time
> Processor" process is the culprit.. it's at 100% during the file copy.

What is the interrupt assignment for SATA, IDE and USB devices?

> Does anyone know what this is, and what I can do about it? The S.M.A.R.T
> stats on all drives (incl HD1) all check out as healthy.
>
> Dell PE 400SC \ Intel Pent4 2.8Ghz HT \ WinXP Pro SP2 \ 1GB PC3200
>
> Thanks!
>
> Julie

kvardon

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I have the same problem on a 2003 Server, newly added SATA drive is fine, boot IDE drive is fine, origial SATA drive , Maxtor 250GB is extremly slow moving file, CPU maxed out, "Interrupts Time Placeholder" is taking up the CPU time, I read about ACPI problems but this is only with the one hard drive. Not usre what is going on, the drieve was setup for compression so I am changing it to normal but it is taking days to decompress or move the data...

Squall117

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I'm having the same problem. Here's my details:

Primary IDE:
C:\ Master: Main Hard Drive (The with the OS)
D:\ Slave: DVD-RAM
E:\ Virtual DVD (Daemon Tools)
F:\ SATA Hard Drive

Everytime I try to write to the SATA Drive interrupts process goes up and everything else slows down. I checked device manager and I found out that the SATA Drive is set to PIO... I know this is the problem, but I don't know how to set it DMA, I already tried uninstalling and rebooting and it didn't work.

Interesting thing is that when I'm using ubuntu the transfer speed between the IDE drive and the SATA drive is around 20Mb/s, which is good (ubuntu shows transfer speed as in a download)

So right now I'm just blaming Bill and trying to do his work... Well... More like waiting for someone here to do his work xD