Media Player display

When I play media with media player the screen shows black dots in a block
pattern across the screen. Every other block is clear. This only happens in
media player and no other media program. I've loaded drivers, changed
settings, etc. Any ideas?
OS winxp, ati 9700 vid crd, 1 gb mem

What types of media are affected? Is this isolated to a specific file
format or a specific codec?

See http://www.zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
Following up to your post with the resolution is good netiquette.
All e-mail to this account will bounce or be deleted - *use the newsgroups*.
--
"Mannie" <Mannie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I play media with media player the screen shows black dots in a block
> pattern across the screen. Every other block is clear. This only happens
> in
> media player and no other media program. I've loaded drivers, changed
> settings, etc. Any ideas?
> OS winxp, ati 9700 vid crd, 1 gb mem

This happens with whatever video file I play, DVD, streaming video, avi. I've
never had any codec issues. I think I have all of the most common. As I said,
it doesn't really matter what video type I play, I still get the pattern on
the screen. It's very frustrating because I can play DVDs using PowerDVD and
they are clear. Thanks for the inquiry.

"zachd [ms]" wrote:

> What types of media are affected? Is this isolated to a specific file
> format or a specific codec?
>
> --
> (speaking for myself and doing this in my free time)
> See http://www.zachd.com/pss/pss.html for some helpful WMP info.
> Following up to your post with the resolution is good netiquette.
> All e-mail to this account will bounce or be deleted - *use the newsgroups*.
> --
> "Mannie" <Mannie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I play media with media player the screen shows black dots in a block
> > pattern across the screen. Every other block is clear. This only happens
> > in
> > media player and no other media program. I've loaded drivers, changed
> > settings, etc. Any ideas?
> > OS winxp, ati 9700 vid crd, 1 gb mem

Ikkyu_San

Hi , i have EXACTLY the same problem right now !!!

Things i tried :
- Update of Graphics card Driver (MSI 8800GTS 640Mb)
- Uninstall & re-install of Codec Pack (latest from codecguide.com)
- Downloaded the latest version of "media player classic".

Since some time i'm experiencing the same black dots while playing video's. More over, it doesn't matter which media player i use, i allways see the 4 dots in a re-occuring pattern.
And i only see those 4 black dots - patterns only in video's. So dead pixels are not the case.

Can somebody PLEASE help me out ?

Can this be related to Windows XP SP3 or some wrong installed/unïnstalled codec ?
I was more thinking of an internal Windows XP-bug. But honestly i have no clue.