Portable USB/Network hard drives?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
March 16, 2005 1:34:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.networks,comp.hardware (More info?)

I am looking for a large (300+GB) portable hard drive that can be
accessed via a network (I was told that Ethernet connections are faster
than USB [not sure about that, or what exactly was being compared USB
2.0/gigabit networks etc]) and USB. Does anyone have any suggestions
for such a drive, and better yet is there such a drive that (in the
case of USB) that is 300+GB that can get its power via USB instead of a
separate power source? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

-Gaiko
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 16, 2005 11:57:25 AM

gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com wrote:
> I am looking for a large (300+GB) portable hard drive that can be
> accessed via a network (I was told that Ethernet connections are
faster
> than USB [not sure about that, or what exactly was being compared USB
> 2.0/gigabit networks etc]) and USB. Does anyone have any suggestions
> for such a drive, and better yet is there such a drive that (in the
> case of USB) that is 300+GB that can get its power via USB instead of
> separate power source? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Cheers
>
> -Gaiko

Yes, they do exist. CompUSA has 'em:

http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200112+4...

.... up to a Terabyte:

http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200112+4...

Not sure what kind of power they need, but try visiting Seagate's and
Maxtor's websites for specs...

Good luck

Mike
http://www.darrettenterprises.com
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 16, 2005 12:53:16 PM

Your options are 1394a - 40MB/s, low CPU; GB Ethernet - ~50MB/s, high CPU; USB
2 - 20-30MB/s, medium CPU.

USB cannot power a 3.5" drive, but Firewire can. However, there are few
enclosures that do.