Portable USB/Network hard drives?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.networks,comp.hardware (More info?)

I am looking for a large (300+GB) portable hard drive that can be
accessed via a network (I was told that Ethernet connections are faster
than USB [not sure about that, or what exactly was being compared USB
2.0/gigabit networks etc]) and USB. Does anyone have any suggestions
for such a drive, and better yet is there such a drive that (in the
case of USB) that is 300+GB that can get its power via USB instead of a
separate power source? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

-Gaiko
2 answers Last reply
More about portable network hard drives
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.networks,comp.hardware (More info?)

    gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com wrote:
    > I am looking for a large (300+GB) portable hard drive that can be
    > accessed via a network (I was told that Ethernet connections are
    faster
    > than USB [not sure about that, or what exactly was being compared USB
    > 2.0/gigabit networks etc]) and USB. Does anyone have any suggestions
    > for such a drive, and better yet is there such a drive that (in the
    > case of USB) that is 300+GB that can get its power via USB instead of
    > separate power source? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > -Gaiko

    Yes, they do exist. CompUSA has 'em:

    http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200112+4294966865+502462&Ne=502457

    .... up to a Terabyte:

    http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200112+4294966865+502464&Ne=502457

    Not sure what kind of power they need, but try visiting Seagate's and
    Maxtor's websites for specs...

    Good luck

    Mike
    http://www.darrettenterprises.com

    Your options are 1394a - 40MB/s, low CPU; GB Ethernet - ~50MB/s, high CPU; USB
    2 - 20-30MB/s, medium CPU.

    USB cannot power a 3.5" drive, but Firewire can. However, there are few
    enclosures that do.

    <gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I am looking for a large (300+GB) portable hard drive that can be
    > accessed via a network (I was told that Ethernet connections are faster
    > than USB [not sure about that, or what exactly was being compared USB
    > 2.0/gigabit networks etc]) and USB. Does anyone have any suggestions
    > for such a drive, and better yet is there such a drive that (in the
    > case of USB) that is 300+GB that can get its power via USB instead of a
    > separate power source? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hardware USB Hard Drives Storage