Archiving movies

I've been capturing my movies with the Movie Maker using DV-AVI format which
ended up leaving pretty large files on my HD (as expected). I thought I'd be
able to archive them on DVD but after a second thought it occured to me that
it wasn't such a good idea (it takes 4 DVDs for just one hour of footage).

Now I'm thinking of archiving this footage on Mini-DVs. But how to send the
video back to the camcorder? Although Movie Maker has the option of sending
the finished movie to the DV camera it forces me to create a movie from my
clip first, let Movie Maker re-save it, and only then write it. Is there any
other way to get my AVIs back on the camcorder?

Also, is it possible to actually copy files back to the camcorder over
firewire? One would think that a digital tape should be able to store data.

Thanks,

Dave.
1 answer Last reply
More about archiving movies

    Dave,

    Try the WinDV utility.... (link on the Digital Camcorders > Intro page of my
    MM2 website).... it copies DV-AVI to or from a camcorder over firewire.
    --
    PapaJohn

    Movie Maker 2 - www.papajohn.org
    Photo Story 2 - www.photostory.papajohn.org

    ..
    > I've been capturing my movies with the Movie Maker using DV-AVI format
    > which
    > ended up leaving pretty large files on my HD (as expected). I thought I'd
    > be
    > able to archive them on DVD but after a second thought it occured to me
    > that
    > it wasn't such a good idea (it takes 4 DVDs for just one hour of footage).
    >
    > Now I'm thinking of archiving this footage on Mini-DVs. But how to send
    > the
    > video back to the camcorder? Although Movie Maker has the option of
    > sending
    > the finished movie to the DV camera it forces me to create a movie from my
    > clip first, let Movie Maker re-save it, and only then write it. Is there
    > any
    > other way to get my AVIs back on the camcorder?
    >
    > Also, is it possible to actually copy files back to the camcorder over
    > firewire? One would think that a digital tape should be able to store
    > data.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dave.

Video Movies Movie Maker Windows XP