Iomega REV for backup and archiving?

Hi experts,

what do you think about this solution for a small office?

TIA Tellie

G. Telemann <tellie@gmx.de> wrote in message

> what do you think about this solution for a small office?

Personally I have always thought that these are
a dead end and will never amount to anything
more than yet another dead end technology.

G. Telemann wrote:

> Hi experts,
>
> what do you think about this solution for a small office?

I think you pay 50 bucks for a proprietary 35 gig disk plus 300 bucks for
the drive. For the same 50 bucks you can get a conventional 40 gig drive.
Add a removable tray and it's up to about 70 bucks. You may need to add a
controller that supports hot-swap--that would add another hundred. So
you're out the door at 170 bucks vs 350 or so. Add capacity and you hit
the crossover point where the Rev is more economical around 10 disks.

Just remember to treat the disk as disposable media and use a number of them
in a rotation backup and they'll work fine.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:41:51 -0500, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

>G. Telemann wrote:
>
>> Hi experts,
>>
>> what do you think about this solution for a small office?
>
>I think you pay 50 bucks for a proprietary 35 gig disk plus 300 bucks for
>the drive. For the same 50 bucks you can get a conventional 40 gig drive.
>Add a removable tray and it's up to about 70 bucks. You may need to add a
>controller that supports hot-swap--that would add another hundred. So
>you're out the door at 170 bucks vs 350 or so. Add capacity and you hit
>the crossover point where the Rev is more economical around 10 disks.
>
>Just remember to treat the disk as disposable media and use a number of them
>in a rotation backup and they'll work fine.
>
>> TIA Tellie

I agree. If you are doing your backups properly and are using media in
rotation with offsite sotrage then REV drives are quite a good solution. I
have been using one for a few months now without any problems. I run a GFS
backup solution using the REV drive with about 20 discs and it works very
well indeed. It is quicker than any tape drive I've encountered so far (up
to DLT VS80 anyway) and as far as capacity goes they are OK. I wouldn't
believe the 90GB with compression figure quoted by Iomega, a more realistic
figure is 70GB with compression.

Basically, think of a REV drive as a fast, more convenient tape backup
solution and you'll find they are good value for money.

The Brave Sir Robin.