splash screen flicker

I have a computer with xp installed but when it boots up
the splash screen flickers and flashes, then when it
boots to the logon screen everything is fine. Any
suggestions?
2 answers Last reply
More about splash screen flicker

    Raise the resolution of the monitor.

    Right click on the desktop, select Properties. On the Settings tab, click
    on Advanced. Click on the Monitor tab and increase the resolution.

    www.coribright.com

    > Raise the resolution of the monitor.
    >
    > Right click on the desktop, select Properties. On the Settings tab, click
    > on Advanced. Click on the Monitor tab and increase the resolution.
    >

    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > www.coribright.com

    Ummm...probably not. I don't think you can adjust the
    rez of the splash screen ;-) it's independent of the desktop
    and usually much lower than the Login screen. Don't forget-
    XP hasn't loaded yet, so the vid card drivers aren't up
    and running and any rez you've spec'd isn't going to be
    applied. I think, from some experience I've had reprogramming
    the EDID for my flat panel, that the rez that POST and splash
    screen run at is solely negotiated by the vid card and the
    panel itself, XP does not enter into it.

    It sounds like what is happening is that during the startup
    process, XP goes through at least three resolution changes
    (from text-mode POST to splash screen to login screen)
    in fairly rapid succession. Some monitors handle this
    better than others-some display the symptoms you describe-
    it takes them a sec or two to "lock in" to a new resolution,
    and XP is changing things so rapidly, the monitor freaks out
    cuz' it only gets a lock on things for a few mSec, if at all.

    If you set the DESKTOP rez to that of the
    splash screen, you'll avoid a rez change and you will
    probably reduce (but not eliminate) this effect. Of course, then you'll
    be running your expensive monitor at a (lower) rez less than
    what it's capable of.

    Another way to "get around" this MAY be (if you have
    a LCD monitor) to look for a "image size" option
    in the display on-screen menu (see the manual) and set
    it for "Normal" or "not expanded". This will make
    it display less than native rez screens in a "letterbox"
    (blank border all around) rather than trying to expand
    small rez screens "on-the'-fly" to fit - which may be the cause
    of the stuff you're seeing.

    My Samsung 191T considerately blanks itself for at
    least 2 sec after each mode change, so I can't see this stuff...

    Bottom line-you don't work with the splash screen,
    you work with the desktop-so just ignore it.

    You MIGHT try the latest drivers for your video
    card to see if it makes a difference.

    > "micah" <mechandler34@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a computer with xp installed but when it boots up
    > > the splash screen flickers and flashes, then when it
    > > boots to the logon screen everything is fine. Any
    > > suggestions?

Video Computers Microsoft Splash Screen Windows XP