splash screen flicker

Micah

Distinguished
May 24, 2001

I have a computer with xp installed but when it boots up
the splash screen flickers and flashes, then when it
boots to the logon screen everything is fine. Any
suggestions?

Raise the resolution of the monitor.

Right click on the desktop, select Properties. On the Settings tab, click
on Advanced. Click on the Monitor tab and increase the resolution.

www.coribright.com

> Raise the resolution of the monitor.
>
> Right click on the desktop, select Properties. On the Settings tab, click
> on Advanced. Click on the Monitor tab and increase the resolution.
>

> --
> Cari (MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> www.coribright.com

Ummm...probably not. I don't think you can adjust the
rez of the splash screen ;-) it's independent of the desktop
and usually much lower than the Login screen. Don't forget-
XP hasn't loaded yet, so the vid card drivers aren't up
and running and any rez you've spec'd isn't going to be
applied. I think, from some experience I've had reprogramming
the EDID for my flat panel, that the rez that POST and splash
screen run at is solely negotiated by the vid card and the
panel itself, XP does not enter into it.

It sounds like what is happening is that during the startup
process, XP goes through at least three resolution changes
(from text-mode POST to splash screen to login screen)
in fairly rapid succession. Some monitors handle this
better than others-some display the symptoms you describe-
it takes them a sec or two to "lock in" to a new resolution,
and XP is changing things so rapidly, the monitor freaks out
cuz' it only gets a lock on things for a few mSec, if at all.

If you set the DESKTOP rez to that of the
splash screen, you'll avoid a rez change and you will
probably reduce (but not eliminate) this effect. Of course, then you'll
be running your expensive monitor at a (lower) rez less than
what it's capable of.

Another way to "get around" this MAY be (if you have
a LCD monitor) to look for a "image size" option
in the display on-screen menu (see the manual) and set
it for "Normal" or "not expanded". This will make
it display less than native rez screens in a "letterbox"
(blank border all around) rather than trying to expand
small rez screens "on-the'-fly" to fit - which may be the cause
of the stuff you're seeing.

My Samsung 191T considerately blanks itself for at
least 2 sec after each mode change, so I can't see this stuff...

Bottom line-you don't work with the splash screen,
you work with the desktop-so just ignore it.

You MIGHT try the latest drivers for your video
card to see if it makes a difference.