  • Computers
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
September 6, 2004 4:49:06 AM

Hi,

I have been trying for hours to connect my computer to
tehh tv, but the only result i had was some black and
white pictures...as in my home computer i have windows xp
home edition, i changed the computer to my work one where
there is windows xp professional but nothing changed...i
went through the troubleshouting but i ended with a "i
will try to solve my problem elsewhere"...

can anybody help me?

thanks a lot

More about : connecting computer

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 12:39:10 PM

"dana" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying for hours to connect my computer to
> tehh tv, but the only result i had was some black and
> white pictures...as in my home computer i have windows xp
> home edition, i changed the computer to my work one where
> there is windows xp professional but nothing changed...i
> went through the troubleshouting but i ended with a "i
> will try to solve my problem elsewhere"...
>
> can anybody help me?

Which graphics card(s) do you have? Do they have S-video jacks? You'll
need to adjust the graphics card settings to dispaly an image to the TV.

Let us know,
Ian.
September 6, 2004 12:39:11 PM

I spent most of yesterday trying to do the same thing. I have an s-video
port on my laptop and an s-video input on my tv. If i hook them up and put
the tv on input-1 it should work right? It's just "snow".. I tried to follow
the directions in my Dell manual to set up the video display but what I see
on control panel does not match what is in the manual. I have xp home
edition. i have nvidei video controller. At this point I guess I should
spring for a stupid dvd player but that's what I THOUGHT I was getting on my
laptop (sort of). thanks.

"Ionizer" wrote:

> "dana" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have been trying for hours to connect my computer to
> > tehh tv, but the only result i had was some black and
> > white pictures...as in my home computer i have windows xp
> > home edition, i changed the computer to my work one where
> > there is windows xp professional but nothing changed...i
> > went through the troubleshouting but i ended with a "i
> > will try to solve my problem elsewhere"...
> >
> > can anybody help me?
> >

> Which graphics card(s) do you have? Do they have S-video jacks? You'll
> need to adjust the graphics card settings to dispaly an image to the TV.
>
> Let us know,
> Ian.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 4:24:16 PM

"kim" <kim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I spent most of yesterday trying to do the same thing. I have an
s-video
> port on my laptop and an s-video input on my tv. If i hook them up and
put
> the tv on input-1 it should work right?

Surely you mean "OUTput," not INput.

>It's just "snow".. I tried to follow
> the directions in my Dell manual to set up the video display but what I
see
> on control panel does not match what is in the manual. I have xp home
> edition. i have nvidei video controller. At this point I guess I
should
> spring for a stupid dvd player but that's what I THOUGHT I was getting
on my
> laptop (sort of). thanks.

I've got an ATI card so what I see won't be the same as you see either,
unfortunately. I found this page on the Nvidia site:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_20011119_6315.html

Product manuals aren't available from the nvidia site, but you may find a
downloadable pdf manual for your card on the Dell site. Have a look here
for your specific card- they do offer a lot of documentation:
http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&cat...

Hope that helps,
Ian.
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 4:29:38 PM

"Ionizer" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message

> Surely you mean "OUTput," not INput.

Please *ignore* the above comment- I misread that part of your post.

--
Ian.
September 6, 2004 4:53:06 PM

Thank you for the doc links. I will check them out.

"Ionizer" wrote:

> "Ionizer" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
>

> > Surely you mean "OUTput," not INput.
> >

> Please *ignore* the above comment- I misread that part of your post.
>
> --
> Ian.

Anonymous
December 14, 2004 10:17:05 AM

"dana" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been trying for hours to connect my computer to
> tehh tv, but the only result i had was some black and
> white pictures...as in my home computer i have windows xp
> home edition, i changed the computer to my work one where
> there is windows xp professional but nothing changed...i
> went through the troubleshouting but i ended with a "i
> will try to solve my problem elsewhere"...
>
> can anybody help me?
>
> thanks a lot
>
> hi dana,
sorry its not an answer to your problem. i would like to know if you could
connect yours to your tv. i also have a big problem in connecting my laptop
to tv. my problem is really very big. my os is in german language and i know
no german language. i am totally new to computer and have absolutely no
knowledge how even to begin where to click. someone told me to click on
screen with left button and to properties, but switch on the tv first. thats
all i know really. next what i have no idea. i read all the 6 post in this
topic of yours from kim and others but i do understand at all what there are
talking about. i have zero knowledge abot computer. could you or some one
please help me.
with best regards and thanks,
konchok.

Anonymous
December 15, 2004 3:26:03 AM

Plug SVHS cable into TV (IN) and back of Laptop or PC (OUT).
Set TV to SVHS or cable input.
Right click on computer screen, select Properties, select settings, select,
advanced.
Check through each tab and you will find an option to select either monitor
or TV out. Select TV and you will see your desktop on your TV! Simple! You
will probably need to adjust the size, brightness etc once you get something
to show on your TV

http://www.MettaWeb.com

"konchok" <konchok@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "dana" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been trying for hours to connect my computer to
>> tehh tv, but the only result i had was some black and
>> white pictures...as in my home computer i have windows xp
>> home edition, i changed the computer to my work one where
>> there is windows xp professional but nothing changed...i
>> went through the troubleshouting but i ended with a "i
>> will try to solve my problem elsewhere"...
>>
>> can anybody help me?
>>
>> thanks a lot
>>
>> hi dana,
> sorry its not an answer to your problem. i would like to know if you could
> connect yours to your tv. i also have a big problem in connecting my
> laptop
> to tv. my problem is really very big. my os is in german language and i
> know
> no german language. i am totally new to computer and have absolutely no
> knowledge how even to begin where to click. someone told me to click on
> screen with left button and to properties, but switch on the tv first.
> thats
> all i know really. next what i have no idea. i read all the 6 post in this
> topic of yours from kim and others but i do understand at all what there
> are
> talking about. i have zero knowledge abot computer. could you or some one
> please help me.
> with best regards and thanks,
> konchok.

Anonymous
December 22, 2004 5:01:02 PM

hi metta ,
thanks a lot for your information about connecting my laptop to tv. i could
do it only after geeting an english operating system. anyway thanks a lot.
dawa, konchok
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 11:21:03 PM

I recently upgraded to XP from ME and I'm having problems displaying video on
my TV. I never had problems doing it on ME. I plug in my video cable to the
back of my laptop and my TV, go to Properties, Settings, advanced, and then I
choose TV rather than LCD. On XP, I can go up to advanced, but then I can't
find any place where I choose "TV." Can anyone help, please?

"Mettá" wrote:

> Plug SVHS cable into TV (IN) and back of Laptop or PC (OUT).
> Set TV to SVHS or cable input.
> Right click on computer screen, select Properties, select settings, select,
> advanced.
> Check through each tab and you will find an option to select either monitor
> or TV out. Select TV and you will see your desktop on your TV! Simple! You
> will probably need to adjust the size, brightness etc once you get something
> to show on your TV

> http://www.MettaWeb.com
>

> "konchok" <konchok@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "dana" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have been trying for hours to connect my computer to
> >> tehh tv, but the only result i had was some black and
> >> white pictures...as in my home computer i have windows xp
> >> home edition, i changed the computer to my work one where
> >> there is windows xp professional but nothing changed...i
> >> went through the troubleshouting but i ended with a "i
> >> will try to solve my problem elsewhere"...
> >>
> >> can anybody help me?
> >>
> >> thanks a lot
> >>
> >> hi dana,
> > sorry its not an answer to your problem. i would like to know if you could
> > connect yours to your tv. i also have a big problem in connecting my
> > laptop
> > to tv. my problem is really very big. my os is in german language and i
> > know
> > no german language. i am totally new to computer and have absolutely no
> > knowledge how even to begin where to click. someone told me to click on
> > screen with left button and to properties, but switch on the tv first.
> > thats
> > all i know really. next what i have no idea. i read all the 6 post in this
> > topic of yours from kim and others but i do understand at all what there
> > are
> > talking about. i have zero knowledge abot computer. could you or some one
> > please help me.
> > with best regards and thanks,
> > konchok.

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 11:45:59 PM

Check you have the correct drivers for your graphics card from the
manufacturer's website.
www.coribright.com

"bulbazr" <bulbazr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently upgraded to XP from ME and I'm having problems displaying video
>on
> my TV. I never had problems doing it on ME. I plug in my video cable to
> the
> back of my laptop and my TV, go to Properties, Settings, advanced, and
> then I
> choose TV rather than LCD. On XP, I can go up to advanced, but then I
> can't
> find any place where I choose "TV." Can anyone help, please?
>
> "Mettá" wrote:
>
>> Plug SVHS cable into TV (IN) and back of Laptop or PC (OUT).
>> Set TV to SVHS or cable input.
>> Right click on computer screen, select Properties, select settings,
>> select,
>> advanced.
>> Check through each tab and you will find an option to select either
>> monitor
>> or TV out. Select TV and you will see your desktop on your TV! Simple!
>> You
>> will probably need to adjust the size, brightness etc once you get
>> something
>> to show on your TV

>> --
>>
>> http://www.MettaWeb.com
>>

>> "konchok" <konchok@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > sorry its not an answer to your problem. i would like to know if you
>> > could
>> > connect yours to your tv. i also have a big problem in connecting my
>> > laptop
>> > to tv. my problem is really very big. my os is in german language and i
>> > know
>> > no german language. i am totally new to computer and have absolutely no
>> > knowledge how even to begin where to click. someone told me to click on
>> > screen with left button and to properties, but switch on the tv first.
>> > thats
>> > all i know really. next what i have no idea. i read all the 6 post in
>> > this
>> > topic of yours from kim and others but i do understand at all what
>> > there
>> > are
>> > talking about. i have zero knowledge abot computer. could you or some
>> > one
>> > please help me.
>> > with best regards and thanks,
>> > konchok.

February 1, 2005 4:41:12 PM

try this ,nvidia site,i think it's 66.93 win2kxp international.download and
install.

i have downloaded this part and cloned my monitor and tv.everything is
alright except forany video,it just doesn't show on my tv.iMpretty sure i
need a video decoder,but which one? can anyone help....nvidia ge force4 mx
420 is my card
thanx