Paul

Splendid

I have a Sony VAIO and since upgrading to XP the DVD
drive does not recognize dvd disks or even that a dvd
disk is in the drive. The DVD drive can play music,
games, and any other CD disk. I've upgraded to XP SP2 but
that did not help. The drive is a Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD-
115r. Tried updating, uninstalling, the device driver
with same results plays CDs but does not recognize that
dvd disk is in the drive. When viewing the System
Information both the DVD-ROM(drive G:) and the CD-RW
(drive H:) list the same driver:
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys
(5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), 48.38 KB
(49,536 bytes), 8/29/2002 1:27 AM)

Any help would be appriciated.

Did you reinstall your DVD playing software like PowerDVD or WinDVD?
www.coribright.com

"paul" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Sony VAIO and since upgrading to XP the DVD
> drive does not recognize dvd disks or even that a dvd
> disk is in the drive. The DVD drive can play music,
> games, and any other CD disk. I've upgraded to XP SP2 but
> that did not help. The drive is a Pioneer DVD-ROM DVD-
> 115r. Tried updating, uninstalling, the device driver
> with same results plays CDs but does not recognize that
> dvd disk is in the drive. When viewing the System
> Information both the DVD-ROM(drive G:) and the CD-RW
> (drive H:) list the same driver:
> Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys
> (5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), 48.38 KB
> (49,536 bytes), 8/29/2002 1:27 AM)
>
> Any help would be appriciated.

I would try updating the firmware of the DVD-ROM. You
probably can find it on Sony's website.

Paul

Splendid

Yes, I loaded Sonys Media Bar DVD player as well as a
trial version of PowerDVD but still the drive just does
recognize or acknowledge that a DVD disk is in the drive -
if I try to open drive H: is just says insert a disk but
there's already one in the drive.

HAve you checked to see if there is any updates to the firmware?

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media
> Yes, I loaded Sonys Media Bar DVD player as well as a
> trial version of PowerDVD but still the drive just does
> recognize or acknowledge that a DVD disk is in the drive -
> if I try to open drive H: is just says insert a disk but
> there's already one in the drive.

teresa

I am having the same problem except I am getting an error message of
#80040111. Would appreciate any help at all.
thnx,
tlc